Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas....I'm looking for stronger aftermarket U-Joints....I've posted before that when driving over 60MPH and letting off the gas there is a vibration until it gets under 60....I was told that its probably worn U-Joints...Now that I'm running 40s I want to replace them with hopefully something alot more sturdy....anybody have suggestions on this??...thanks guys....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
207 Posts
CTM is (was) the way to go on my dana 44 front diff on my early bronco. They had a lifetime warranty with bronze bushings instead of bearings. Might look them up and see if they have something that will work. Or will make something! I never had an issue after running them on the axle's with 36" swampers. Used to break standard HD u-joints on every trip before upgrading.

·
Registered
452 Posts
One questions for you is, are you running a drop kit for your drive shaft? Running a 12" lift and 40's is gonna stress that drive shaft a bit. It was never designed to be at those angles, so I would not be surprised if you ran into some issues over time. See if you can't find one and it may help you out in the long run.

A couple links.....
http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tu...t-drop-lifted-tundras-no-more-vibrations.html

CARRIER BEARING BRACKET 2-1/4" / 2007-2013 TUNDRA / 5" & HIGHER REAR LIFT

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I dunno... I always wanted my weak point to be something simple like ujoints lol. Strengthen those and something else will become the weak point in the driveline (gears, input shafts, etc...) That's the way I always thought about it. Simpler to replace ujoints than those more expensive parts.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info guys....I went ahead and purchased a carrier bearing bracket....It says it eliminates vibration because of the extreme angles of the driveshaft, which I have....hopefully that will fix the problem....but why does it only vibrate at 60 mph??....:confused:....when I hit 60 then let off the gas pedal it vibrates until it drops below 60....just seems wierd....thanks fellas

Reactions: xtremelow

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I know this is old but did you ever figure out why it does it only at 60?

·
Registered
495 Posts
thanks for the info guys....I went ahead and purchased a carrier bearing bracket....It says it eliminates vibration because of the extreme angles of the driveshaft, which I have....hopefully that will fix the problem....but why does it only vibrate at 60 mph??....:confused:....when I hit 60 then let off the gas pedal it vibrates until it drops below 60....just seems wierd....thanks fellas
Is it 60+ or just 60 and 65 on up is fine?

·
Registered
8 Posts
What is happening is Harmonic vibrations. 60 mph is apparently the magic point that your shaft is spinning fast enough for the effect to occur.

If you push up to 70 or maybe as high as 80 the vibrations should diminish or stop altogether.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
For a truck that lifted he probably also need coachbuilders drivershaft spacers to close the gaps in the driveline.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.