Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
With the side impact sensors, and all the wires and other sensors in those doors, be prepared to deal with trouble lights on the dash related to the airbags and other restraint systems. I can't say it'll DEFINITELY happen, but it's very likely.

I was in an accident in my other vehicle, an 08 Taurus, a few months ago. One of the things the bodyshop missed was replacing the seatbelt mechanism, which was damaged in the accident to the point where the seatbelt no longer retracted on its own. The seatbelt mechanism is tied to the whole rest of the vehicle's passive safety restraint system by a bunch of sensors. This caused an airbag light to go on in the dash. But more importantly, because one part of the system malfunctioned, and that weak link was detected and threw a code, there was no guarentee ANY or ALL of the airbags would work properly in the next crash. Nobody could tell me for sure what would happen beyond hypotheticals. Not the bodyshop, not a Ford service department.

I would guess that a Jeep Wrangler is designed from the beginning with all this crap routed properly to take into account the fact that the doors will be taken off at some point. A Tundra is not.

Just FYI.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
By the way I did some testing last night, after disconnecting all the door wire connectors, the only extra light is the Airbag and the door ajar.

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
The door ajar switch is on the latch side attached to the truck. I think it grounds when the door is open. Put in a toggle switch (or 4) and you should be able to take care of that light when the doors are off.

·
Registered
261 Posts
i know this is an old old thread, but did this ever happen

·
Registered
261 Posts
Damn!
I was really hoping someone else would be the guinea pig on this. I guess I am going to have to really look into this now:)

·
Registered
261 Posts
ok In my explorerations around the interweb I have actuall found a company saying that they could be working on the parts to make this happen!! They have done it on some of the other yotas with very positive success. so I am waiting and seeing of they go thru with it.
If any of yall are interested

21 - 31 of 31 Posts