Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am toying with the idea of making my doors removable, think jeep sans doors. I am thinking with my engineering mind that I could simply drill the ends of the existing pins on the door hinges. Drop the existing pins and replace with shoulder bolts of the same size. This would allow me to remove the doors while leaving both sides of the hinge in place, removing the need to adjust everything back when they are reinstalled. Then there is the wiring, which a simple connector can be spliced in to solve. Anyone else had this idiotic idea? I suppose I could just go buy a jeep too but whats the fun in that?

You thoughts?

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Did you give any consideration to the number of wires connected to the doors or the weight of those doors??
Doesn't sound to me like a very good idea but it certainly would be different.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I think you'd have to be He-Man to get those things on and off smoothly. That being said, I took the doors off my Xterrra and treated it like a Jeep before I got rid of it. Be prepared for some flashing lights as well, apparently mirrors are mandatory in most places.

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
The wires have plugs in the kick panels already. Though don't pull too hard cause they are small gauge wires.

An old Toyota FJ40 (or I guess Jeep) would be a lot cheaper to fix than a new Tundra. Plus if something breaks on the trail, you could trailer the Jeep home with the Tundra.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
There are alot of write ups on this in the Jeep CHEROKEE (XJ) forums.

Never did mine, because I like A/C too much, but alot of the northern guys that wheel in better weather do this alot.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I don't think pulling our doors is a two man job unless your a small guy, the front doors are probably around 100lbs at the most give or take. It's just getting a good grip/leverage but with a modified handle inside (towards the front of the door) then window rolled down and holding on to the outside handle you could get it. Putting it back on by yourself would take a little patience though.

·
Registered
13,521 Posts
there are doors and many articles like this for the fj, i have buds that have bought tube doors for fj's, and they said it was kinda a pita at first.. n their doors are lighter than ours.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I had a yj for years, built to run into trees and withstand the elements. If you have interior that you care about, removing the doors is not the best idea. You may also want to look at if the doors have any kind of a structual element to them, (I don't know if they do)

if you decide to do this I want pic.s

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
Just an FYI, side impact sensors are in the doors.

·
Registered
762 Posts
You are not alone... heck, I've even considered pulling the roof... but having an FJ40 and 85 4-Runner, both sans hardtops, it's not a priority. Soooo, being that our trucks are Land Cruiser based and can trace their lineage back to the earliest versions, I say do it.... they're begging for it. :cool:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the insight, I love this forum. I think I'm gonna give it a shot after checking in the FJ forum. I have a large garage so taking doors off (weight) wont be an issue, can always use the chain houst and straps but I agree they cant be more than 100lbs or so. As for wiring thanks for the info about the connector, saves me some time in soldering in a new one. one thing I didnt think about as I was staring at them last night was speakers, except for the front tweets the other are in the doors. I guess time for a AV upgrade as well I guess. Anyone have any aftermarket sun/moon roofs installed? might as well open it up as much as I can.

·
Registered
812 Posts
another cool idea would be to run the tube style doors that the wrangler guys run when they take their doors off, just a larger version of course

·
Registered
150 Posts
I couldn't imagine how sick I would feel if I accidentally dropped one of my doors.

Fun idea tho - good luck.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I couldn't imagine how sick I would feel if I accidentally dropped one of my doors.

Fun idea tho - good luck.
Yep. I pulled my tailgate off once and wasn't ready for the weight - dinged up the bottom corner real good on the concrete. Was twice as sickening - I had just gotten the danged thing reskinned and repainted after backing into one of those invisible tree limbs. Couldn't have been more than 2 weeks after the repair that I dropped it. :cursin:

Guess I was thinking back to the last tailgate I had removed - an '84 Nissan pickup. It was a leeeetle lighter!

Bob - if you pull the doors, come back and post the actual weight - I'm very curious! Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought about the tube doors, would have to custom make them but could look pretty cool, but expensive as I do not have the capability to do it myself, Bender, welder etc. If anyone wats to help and is close to the Chicago area, I would love to do it. Was also thinking of possibly creating a "kit" to offer for others. I will post pics when complete, of just removing the doors, and get weights listed. It will be a few weeks b4 tackling this as i will need to make sure I have the shoulder bolts ready, and machined if necessary. I cant wait!

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
A guy in my fire department has an older Tacoma modified to be an off-roader. It has full roll protection, a flat bed, and "half-doors" with no glass. I'm not sure how the doors are attached (hinges or welded in place). I'll try to get a photo next time I see it. He spends a month in the desert southwest with his buds every year on an off-road expedition.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I am trying to picture a tundra with no doors, and I can only imagine it looking horrible.

A little search and I did find another truck with doors off..

I think you'll be happier if you leave them on.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts