Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys. I just got my Tundra about 3 weeks ago. It is a 2008 CM SR5 4x4 w/TRD package. Now here is my question.

I noticed when going down a steep incline and I apply the brakes the truck will downshift into a lower gear. Is this something that they all do or is something not correct. I am not used to this with my previous vehicles.

·
Registered
808 Posts
My 2013 does it. My 2003 Honda Pilot also did it. Actually it felt more aggressive. It's suppose to help save your brakes.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I believe it's called hill descent control.

·
"Off-Topic Discussion Troll"
1,289 Posts
Ok guys. I just got my Tundra about 3 weeks ago. It is a 2008 CM SR5 4x4 w/TRD package. Now here is my question.

I noticed when going down a steep incline and I apply the brakes the truck will downshift into a lower gear. Is this something that they all do or is something not correct. I am not used to this with my previous vehicles.
My 2013 does it also. Really saw how it worked going through the Blue Ridge Mountains on Skyline Drive Saturday night but it did a great job...

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Its a weird feeling at first, but get used to it and then try to drive another car that doesn't do that... You constantly feel like you have to stand on the brakes. Its called Grade Logic. It sees that you are accelerating as you press on the brakes, and concludes that you are descending a hill. Hill Descent Control is a bit different, and the Tundras don't have it. HDC is like a low speed cruise control, that uses the brakes to modulate your descent down an incline when in 4LO and under about 5mph. Its specifically for off-roading. The 4Runner has had it since 03 I believe. Congrats on the truck btw!

DAC (Downhill Assist Control) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eeGkd2cySE

This is from Honda's Grade Logic Control, but the principles are the same https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at5F9tQ8msM

Reactions: dsmwil
1 - 7 of 7 Posts