Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running a completely stock exhaust. Just got the truck 2 weeks ago and I get a drone at 1500-1800rpm especially when towing. Anyone else get this? I will be upgrading to the Bammuffler soon but just wondering if anyone else gets this.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
no drone exists with stock 5.7 motor.
I disagree. While not a huge bother, some drone does exist as original OP mentioned. It is right at the point where shifting to a Lower gear - raising the revs a bit eliminates it.

OP - not sure on new exhaust. I'm still stock. People sure have wonderful things to say about Dirty Deeds and that's the direction I'll go when I'm ready to pull the trigger.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
I think it depends on the year. They did away with the stock resonator in 2010 or so. Also depends on how much you like music and if you have aftermarket stereo gear.

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
I got it. I like it. It's only a certain speed, certain RPM. Reminds me I drive a vehicle with a big motor.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Premium Member
6,874 Posts
its a 380hp motor. enjoy

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
Drone is a low frequency moaning sound which comes from the tailpipe at a specific rpm. Tailpipes are like pipe organs. They will resonate at a certain frequency depending on their length and what sets them off (engine noise). I have heard some drone in the stock exhaust also but not enough to bother me, and not enough to build a Helmholtz tube for it. Ironically the gen 1 4.7L was worse.

·
Registered
415 Posts
yeah its a slight drone, nothing that really annoys me.

just unbolt everything off at the header. Good to go! haha

Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
I know how much HP it has.
Nah--ahh you don't!

If you did, you would have corrected him and told him it was 381hp. :D

Just messin' with you. It was brought up before. I think a simple fix I saw was to sawzall the pipe just past the rear axle. Search and confirm. :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
6,874 Posts
I know how much HP it has. My then stock 07 charger SRT8 not only made more power but did not drone when it was stock. I was just surprised to hear a drone on a stock vehicle, thats a first for me.
just busting your chops. Its pretty common for some people to hear it. I personally like a little droan. it lets you know you got something under the hood.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
I too was amazed how much a stock Tundra drones. you could install a helmholtz resonator into the tailpipe to knock down this drone.

also, like said above, if towing below 65 keep in 5th gear, going to 6th should be reserved for much higher speeds with a load. it's better for your truck and knocks down the drone.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I too was amazed how much a stock Tundra drones. you could install a helmholtz resonator into the tailpipe to knock down this drone.

also, like said above, if towing below 65 keep in 5th gear, going to 6th should be reserved for much higher speeds with a load. it's better for your truck and knocks down the drone.
I'll be ordering you kit ASAP!

·
Registered
31 Posts
The first month of ownership my new RW was quiet and a bit rough. After putting some miles on it and breaking it down, now it rides more smooth and has a slight drone to it and I love the way it sounds. Gonna save up for an exhaust now. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts