Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Rebalance tires. Check the lugs to make sure they're torqued to spec. Over or under torqued can cause shake. If they're aftermarket wheels then it could be a defective wheel.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
58 Posts
You using the right lugs for the wheels? Wheels properly balanced? are you lifted? what kind of tires are you running? larger aggressive tires are harder to balance. Not all tires are created equal. same applies to the wheels.

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
FWIW you might try another tire buster when you rebalance. I lost count how many times this happened to me over the years just because the crater face didn't know what he was doing with the balancing machine.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Another cause could be how it's torqued. If it's a lug centric type wheel I use a three torque process at my work. Torque it in the air with someone applying the brake, drop the truck where the wheels are touching and won't spin and torque, then all the way down and torque again. If it's hub piloted then a normal torque is fine. Done this on plenty of cars and fixed the issue without even rebalancing. Ask the place to do a dynamic balance (weights going in two different spots) rather than a static balance (just one). Just my two cents hope you get it worked out

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
663 Posts
I am having the same issues with mine..
I have had them balanced 2 times, balanced with BBs once (google it), spun on a tread cutting machine to check for tire cupping.. no dice.

I played musical chairs with the aftermarket / stock wheels and it came down to 1 rim + tire that is causing my shake.. I still need to get that one looked at in detail and figure out if the wheel is bent or something.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You can balance a thousand times. Some tundras just will almost never except a aftermarket wheel. The wheels have to be perfect. There is many people that have aftermarket wheels and they have shakes,factory wheels back on and shake is gone. Including myself. Seems hit and miss on aftermarket wheels. Mine were balanced 20 times by different companies and by the managers of each one never got the shake completely out. Went back to stock alloys and its gone

·
Registered
663 Posts
You can balance a thousand times. Some tundras just will almost never except a aftermarket wheel. The wheels have to be perfect. There is many people that have aftermarket wheels and they have shakes,factory wheels back on and shake is gone. Including myself. Seems hit and miss on aftermarket wheels. Mine were balanced 20 times by different companies and by the managers of each one never got the shake completely out. Went back to stock alloys and its gone
Ugh.. hope this isn't the case for me.. so far it seems that way.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Years ago when I picked up my brand new 76 Ford van, and took it home I noticed what felt like a tire balance problem. Took it back to the dealer and they could not find a tire balance problem. It also was speed related but not in the steering wheel. It actually was a ding in the drive shaft and they tried to blame me for damaging it. After some arguing, they finally replaced it and the balance issue went away.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts