Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figure that there has to be more than a few running a ASWC-1 or a similar steering wheel control box on here.

I just installed that along with a Sony DSX-S210X radio. Love everything about the radio except the lack of preset buttons. Wife hates that too! Only way to change presets is with the wireless remote or you have to press a multitude of buttons with all-in-one rotary knob. Dont like that knob either, but I dont need to use it much.

Well, I have the ASWC installed but I cant get it to change presets. The old preset buttons are now "seek" buttons, like I was holding the button down when it was stock. When the ASWC auto programmed volume worked right, mode worked right, the phone buttons did seek and mute.

Crutchfield is telling me that none of the steering wheel controllers will work for presets in the Tundra. He told me our preset buttons will always only be "seek" on a radio, doesnt matter the radio. I tried talking to Metra but was on hold for 45 minutes and gave up!

Is that true? The Sony has a wireless remote that works really well but I really dont like using it, I much prefer the steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I was able to set mine up to be either seek or presets but not both. Since my Pioneer 5500 has the presets on the touch screen, I set them up to be seek buttons.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you try it with presets? I manually programmed the controller and even using the preset channel it still just seeks. Crutchfield thinks it may be due to how the Toyota controls work - quick press for preset and long press for seek. I'm willing to try a new HU if I can make it work!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I have done plenty of Toyota vehicles using the steering wheel to scroll through pre sets but I'm not a so y dealer so I have not tried it with a Sony. Have done plenty of pioneer and kenwood using the aswc and more recently the maestro swc.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Might not need to replace the head unit try got to idata link website and enter your model of vehicle and radio model number it will tell you if you can change the buttons to pre set for that specific combination. With that swc you computer program it for both the car and radio so if it says it as an option it will work and replacing the aswc would be cheaper than replacing the head unit.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
the crutchfield guy is full of it,i have a pioneer f700bt nav unit in my tundra and i used the same controller.it programmed itself once i plugged it into the back of the unit,it changed my phone send/end call buttons to cycle through the presets and voice activation button to mute the radio.the factory preset buttons scan through the frequncies,and the mode and volume buttons work the way their supposed to.check the module install directions,i think there were instructions to manually program buttons at the end.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Metra is telling me it is most likely the Sony. I spent an hour with a tech at Metra running through programming and it never worked. We tried a few different buttons and no matter what button we picked to act as a preset change the Sony would only seek, not change presets. With the Sony to access presets you need to either go into the search menu when in tuner mode or you can press a direct access button on the remote (1 - 6= that preset #). There is no preset change button or easy access on the Sony. Metra thinks that is the issue. No clue for me, first time using either.

Sony is already on the way back to Crutchfield. For other reasons but its on the way back. I have an old Alpine my buddy let me borrow in now that has no remote jack so the ASWC is just sitting. Need to pick a new HU so maybe I'll have better luck next time!

OT - but this older, basic Alpine sounds much better than the Sony. I had quite a few Alpines years ago and was happy with most of them, I may need to look into a new model. Even tweaking the multitude of settings on the Sony it never really sounded "right".

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Metra is telling me it is most likely the Sony. I spent an hour with a tech at Metra running through programming and it never worked. We tried a few different buttons and no matter what button we picked to act as a preset change the Sony would only seek, not change presets. With the Sony to access presets you need to either go into the search menu when in tuner mode or you can press a direct access button on the remote (1 - 6= that preset #). There is no preset change button or easy access on the Sony. Metra thinks that is the issue. No clue for me, first time using either.

Sony is already on the way back to Crutchfield. For other reasons but its on the way back. I have an old Alpine my buddy let me borrow in now that has no remote jack so the ASWC is just sitting. Need to pick a new HU so maybe I'll have better luck next time!

OT - but this older, basic Alpine sounds much better than the Sony. I had quite a few Alpines years ago and was happy with most of them, I may need to look into a new model. Even tweaking the multitude of settings on the Sony it never really sounded "right".
For the money I would do the pioneer 6500 bt you can find one for less than 140.00 and it has iPod, USB, and Bluetooth. I know it will work properly with the steering wheel controls. I have sold tons of them to customers and everyone so far has been very happy.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
i'm with Platinumb,i've had my pioneer f700bt for about 5 years now,had it in my 08 and now in my 12.i didn't have the steering wheel controls in my 08 and i'm glad i have them in my 12 and how easy it was to add the metra box inline to get everything working.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the posts guys. I ordered a Pioneer X5500HD to try out. I dont really care about BT but the Alpine I am using now has HD radio and I do like that so I picked this model. Read some reviews that display can be hard to read but that was about the only complaint. I'll install it Wed and see how it does with the ASWC-1. Would love to get my steering wheel controls back.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I've tried that Metra controller and it was not my favorite. I much prefer the SWI-RC from PAC. It can usually be programmed to what you want.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
When I was looking there was one that had limited function with sony, but alpine, clarion, kenwood and pioneer would support full function... I forget which module it was, I believe it was the pac. It has been a few years since I looked as I would rather not swap h-u's.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quick update - installed the Pioneer 5500 today. Controller works! Presets, mode, volume all work exactly as they used too. Happy I held onto the controller, it was almost returned.

The Pioneer I am not so sure about just yet. Dont care about the disco colors and even finding the brightest color possible (white) for the main display its pretty washed out in the SC sun. The Alpine blue/white was much brighter and the Sony had an OLED display that was very readable. For now I am just happy to have controls back so I'll play with settings and see how it goes.

Thanks again for the feedback and suggestions.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The disco colors is a demo function, you can set the buttons to one color in the set up menu

I know, what I was stating was that the display is rather dark even using the brightest colors. Button colors are plenty bright.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts