Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

New to the forum but I have a question.

I have a new to me 2010 Tundra SR with 255/70/18 stock steel wheels. I need 2 new tires on the front and currently have Cooper Discoverer A/T3's all around. Rear's look is great shape.

I live in NY and want to get the truck ready for snow season. My question is should I replace just the front tires with a new set of Coopers, replace with K02's, or is there any reason other than weight and appearance to upgrade the steelies with an alloy when getting new tires?

I really don't mind the steelies vs. most owners. Just want to make sure that keeping the steelies is worth it.

I mostly use the truck for hauling my adventure motorcycles, and in the winter going up to the ski mountains.

Thanks in advance!

Mani

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Appearance is the main thing for upgrading the steel wheels. If I were driving in alot of snow though, I wouldn't spend alot of money on other aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I would keep the wheels since you drive in the snow, and dont mind them.

I'm not sure if the coopers or K/O2 are snow rated. I think Duratracks are, and the sumitumo encounter a/t are snow rated. I would get 4 new tires that are rated for sever snow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I was really wondering if the width of the steelies vs aluminum rims matter that much. I have 255/70/18's vs most aluminums are the 275/65/18's.

I'm guessing that it's just a little extra grip with the wider tire? Would that even matter that much?

I'm leaning on going with all new K02's than just replacing the front with new Cooper Discoverer A/T3's/

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Thanks! I was really wondering if the width of the steelies vs aluminum rims matter that much.
I'm pretty sure the factory steelies and aluminum are both 18x8 +60 offset.
The different wheels added at port will vary to say 18x9 but with a lower offset like +50.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Yea the aluminum and steel wheels are the same size, they just put a different size tire on. Tires are same height that you reference above, the 275's are just a little wider.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.