Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
For the Double cab. I would like to see about making a copy with a lesser price sub
Unless your going to use a w7 the exact dimensions of the stealth box won't be correct, it is totally possible to build your own box down there though I have built dozens of different ones that style fir customers. A pair of 8w3 subs costs less than the w7 steakth box and sounds better

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya I was just thinking of something similar but cutting cost. I don't need that powerful of an 8" sub. I am seeking ideas. I listened to a pair of sundown 8's yesterday and it was way to much bass for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Unless your going to use a w7 the exact dimensions of the stealth box won't be correct, it is totally possible to build your own box down there though I have built dozens of different ones that style fir customers. A pair of 8w3 subs costs less than the w7 steakth box and sounds better

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Would you be willing to build one if someone showed interest? I think I only need 1 8W7 as I mostly listen to metal. If you have any pics of the boxes you built before I'd like to see them,.....thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
The Alpine typeR 8" subs are simply AMAZING!!!

I just did a few months (yea, months) of research on 8" subs. I've been wanting to build a VERY STEALTY enclosure for a pair - mainly for SQ and saving the floor space in the back seat area of my 2010DC. That floor real estate is quite valuable when you have large dogs, kids, groceries and not to mention ... tools.

After an exhausting search for a pair of really nice, affordable, small, sound quality related sub ... these were the absolute all around best.

I've recently measured, measured AND re-measured the under seat area. And NO i'm not talking about that nasty standard suitcase looking box everybody builds ... the kind that sticks way out into the floor mat area. Those suckers are about the size of another seat bottom jammed under the seat itself!!

This box I've designed gives appx .45cu ft per sub (typeR require .33 per sealed).
You could actually extend an external 1.5"-2" port in the bottom corner directed towards the area of the jack - if you were so inclined to try a ported box.

I must say, these tiny little subs blew me away.

Having been installing and building systems since around '86 - I've had my fair share of WOWs here and there - this being in the top 5. They're running off an older 5ch Kicker KX700.5 amp with around 400 watts to the pair.

If saving space is a MUST and you're interested in this box design -
Hit me up...I'd like to try build and sell a few of these boxes to replenish my "stereo" funds.

Damion

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey Damion do you have a diy write up/build thread on your type-r stealthbox? It looks like something a lot of guys would be interested in. IIncluding myself. Very nice and clean!

·
Registered
31 Posts
stealthy box for two 8" typeR subs

If i don't share my enclosure dimensions and/or design - am I an ass?

After three months of reasearching and 4 prototype enclosures later ....... do I just give away my struggles?

Thus the reason for mentioning trying to sell a few here 'n there if possible. Countless hours of putting in and out the back seat over the enclosure time 'n time again!!

Cool that with these typeR subs - u have the option of dual 4 or dual 2 ohm.
With the JL - 3 ohm is whatcha get!! They do have a VERY nice 8w7 and the stealthy box is just not hidden enuff for my taste ; )

Thus the reason for striving for something I've designed...

$$ cash was not and isn't my goal...I had planed to trade my design for a pair of the Alpine subs - but after hearing and seeing this lil enclosure -

Hmmmmmmmm, maybe make a few bucks to support my system habits!!!!?
Why not.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts

After three months of reasearching and 4 prototype enclosures later ....... do I just give away my struggles?

Thus the reason for mentioning trying to sell a few here 'n there if possible. Countless hours of putting in and out the back seat over the enclosure time 'n time again!!

With the JL - 3 ohm is whatcha get!! They do have a VERY nice 8w7 and the stealthy box is just not hidden enuff for my taste ; )

$$ cash was not and isn't my goal...I had planed to trade my design for a pair of the Alpine subs - but after hearing and seeing this lil enclosure -

Why not.
Most box dimensions can be found online anyway, the measurements aren't a secret.

What makes a good box is the person building it and knowledge to do so. You can post the dimensions and not lose out on potential sales, since the only buyers would be those who do not have the time, will, tools, knowledge to build it themselves anyway.

The only way to protect your design is to patent it... but you have to submit dimensions to do that!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Most required recommended enclosure specs, yes - those can be found online. However, dimensions, angles, etc for this particular enclosure ..... one of a kind. And yea, thought about AND thinking on contacting a larfe company for production -

10.5" x 31.5" x appx 9" of course on and on the 12 different pieces go ...

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Most required recommended enclosure specs, yes - those can be found online. However, dimensions, angles, etc for this particular enclosure ..... one of a kind. And yea, thought about AND thinking on contacting a larfe company for production -

10.5" x 31.5" x appx 9" of course on and on the 12 different pieces go ...
It won't be one of a kind if you sell one. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts

Why not.
Did you get my PM man?

·
Registered
31 Posts
For anybody that just might be interested ... $200 for the enclosure ... that's with basic grey or tan carpet OR sprayed with black textured type paint from HDepot. Shipping extra -

Appx $50 in materials the rest for my time to feed the addiction!!!

·
Registered
296 Posts
For anybody that just might be interested ... $200 for the enclosure ... that's with basic grey or tan carpet OR sprayed with black textured type paint from HDepot. Shipping extra -

Appx $50 in materials the rest for my time to feed the addiction!!!
Good luck with everything. Hopefully you'll get some buyers who are as happy with the box/subs as you say you are.

Kind of off topic, but not really... are the subs angled at all? They look like they are straight up and down. And would the Sundown SA-8s fit in there? Airspace for the subs looks to be about the same. It looks like you could easily make it bigger / deeper, but I'm thinking those subs might be a bit too big.

Anyways, looks good bro.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I desperately tried to massage the SA8v2 into it ... magnet is just too frigggggin huge!!
Possible the v1 or maybe v1.5 might - just don't have one of each.

To answer the angle question - they are tilted and have about 3/4"-1" space aiming towards the back wall.

And oh my goodness they sound magnifico!!

Ust needing to make time to get my own built and all installed - seems I do for others b4 me...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts