Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around pulling a travel trailer with such a low payload limit. 2017 crewmax sr5, payload 1270#. After cruising the travel trailer towing threads, I’m getting the impression that there is now way to take my family camping in a trailer that would actually fit us. My passengers, dog, cargo, and topper take almost 800# of my payload. There is just not enough leftover for much tongue weight. I was looking at travel trailers in the 28ft 7000# loaded range, but maybe I should be looking at pop-ups😂. Are there any solutions?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Nothing you can do will actually change the the limits of the vehicle. Now with that said you can change the way the vehicle handles the loads. I am right were you are at if not heavier and have never felt the least bit uncomfortable. Almost all of my towing is in the Cascade Mountains, Sierra Navadas, and Coastal Mountains of California and Oregon. However my truck is not in stock configuration. I have the TRD rear sway bar, E-rated tires and I run 48 psi rear and 46 psi front when towing, I have air bags on the rear with on board compressor and run 45-55 psi when towing. Knowing how to properly set up the trailers weight distribution bars is critical along with were you place weight in your trailer. These enhancements defiantly change the way the truck will handle the load. Now back to the first sentence in bold type, don't ever forget that part.

I am looking to tow a heavier trailer so I am waiting to see what Toyota comes out with for 2022 prior to making a purchase. If Toyota does not step up in load capacity and towing ability this is what I al looking at.

Reactions: WoodWrkr

·
Registered
408 Posts
You are absolutely right. However getting creative... I would start by loading as much of your cargo into the trailer as possible, then adjusting your load within the trailer to get just above 10% of the overall loaded trailer weight for tongue weight. You should be able to get really close to max payload. The tundra is a great tow vehicle other than that rating. If you set up your WDH right, and get good tires, you should be fine. I tow something similar to what you are looking at without issue. I am considering airbags to improve the ride, but they aren't "necessary" in my case.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nothing you can do will actually change the the limits of the vehicle. Now with that said you can change the way the vehicle handles the loads. I am right were you are at if not heavier and have never felt the least bit uncomfortable. Almost all of my towing is in the Cascade Mountains, Sierra Navadas, and Coastal Mountains of California and Oregon. However my truck is not in stock configuration. I have the TRD rear sway bar, E-rated tires and I run 48 psi rear and 46 psi front when towing, I have air bags on the rear with on board compressor and run 45-55 psi when towing. Knowing how to properly set up the trailers weight distribution bars is critical along with were you place weight in your trailer. These enhancements defiantly change the way the truck will handle the load. Now back to the first sentence in bold type, don't ever forget that part.

I am looking to tow a heavier trailer so I am waiting to see what Toyota comes out with for 2022 prior to making a purchase. If Toyota does not step up in load capacity and towing ability this is what I al looking at.

View attachment 885012
I was also looking at bigger trucks, but really don’t need a truck that size for anything else. I think my real goal is to improve daily mpg and increase payload. I’m sitting in a dealership buying a new trail boss with the 6.2engine and 1664# payload right now!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around pulling a travel trailer with such a low payload limit. 2017 crewmax sr5, payload 1270#. After cruising the travel trailer towing threads, I’m getting the impression that there is now way to take my family camping in a trailer that would actually fit us. My passengers, dog, cargo, and topper take almost 800# of my payload. There is just not enough leftover for much tongue weight. I was looking at travel trailers in the 28ft 7000# loaded range, but maybe I should be looking at pop-ups😂. Are there any solutions?
I regularly tow up to 12,500 with no issues. I have a 6” lift with 35/12.5 on 18” rims. 175xxx miles.
2015 5.7

·
Registered
965 Posts
Payload... what’s that?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I will make sure that I stay far away from you in my travels.
Please do. Too many rookies on the road already.
FYI; I’m 65, driven over 1,000,000 miles pulling a trailer and my current flatbed trailer is a 3 axle.
The Tundra was made to tow 10,600# stock. A few mods and can easily do more. My 175,xxx miles is proof. BTW.. I’m still on the original brakes and they look new. I know how to drive; many don’t. A man needs to know his limitations. Good to see you are abiding by that suggestion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
FYI; I’m 65, driven over 1,000,000 miles pulling a trailer and my current flatbed trailer is a 3 axle.
The Tundra was made to tow 10,600# stock. A few mods and can easily do more. My 175,xxx miles is proof. BTW.. I’m still on the original brakes and they look new. I know how to drive; many don’t. A man needs to know his limitations. Good to see you are abiding by that suggestion.
I also tow my Grand Design Imagine 2600RB with my 2011 5.7 Tundra with tow package and a Centerline WDH. Tows like a dream, but I would not go any larger on the trailer. It is your 6" lift that concerned me. My truck is stock, and I would worry that suspension "upgrades" would significantly alter the towing experience. If it's working for you then that's great. BTW, I am also 65, and have also towed many things with smaller vehicles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also tow my Grand Design Imagine 2600RB with my 2011 5.7 Tundra with tow package and a Centerline WDH. Tows like a dream, but I would not go any larger on the trailer. It is your 6" lift that concerned me. My truck is stock, and I would worry that suspension "upgrades" would significantly alter the towing experience. If it's working for you then that's great. BTW, I am also 65, and have also towed many things with smaller vehicles.
If I could post a pic I would. It’s all a matter of experience I suppose. Alignment, weight distribution, appropriate load range tires, transmission, gearing, brakes, rpm in each gear, road speed under different conditions, following distance, downhill speed, etc.,
Like I said: know the limitations of both you and your equipment and act accordingly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I regularly tow up to 12,500 with no issues. I have a 6” lift with 35/12.5 on 18” rims. 175xxx miles.
2015 5.7
That is over the weight limit by quite a bit and I couldn’t justify that with my family. Also capability and experience don’t change those numbers, they just allow for a false sense of confidence.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Grand Design was one of the trailers I have been looking at. Besides the Tundras payload limits the gas mileage is not great as a daily driver. I really don’t think I could have stomached towing mpg.

·
Registered
408 Posts
You'll have to post back with your new truck... I'm curious how it will do Mpg wise. I average 10 mpg towing my 28' trailer. Approx 7k loaded. You're right about the in town mileage... Not great... But I feel like the towing mileage is pretty good.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Add a supercharger and gain 5 mpg average, I did. My average went from 13 to over 18. I know hard to believe. My neighbor has the same set up and the results are the same. On the highway at 75 mph I frequently see 24 mpg and 550 hp and 550 torque my truck weighs 7000 lbs with me in it.

Reactions: jmansouri

·
Registered
146 Posts
You'll have to post back with your new truck... I'm curious how it will do Mpg wise. I average 10 mpg towing my 28' trailer. Approx 7k loaded. You're right about the in town mileage... Not great... But I feel like the towing mileage is pretty good.

Having camped well over 1,000 nights since buying our first RV trailer back in 2005 including 15k mile trips to Alaska you can say I have put a few miles on my Toyota's (2005 4.7L 4Runner & 2014 5.7L Tundra) Presently tow a 2018 28' Outdoors RV Timber Ridge (24rks) with a dry weight of 6400 lb. Loaded in the 7400 to 7800 range. My Tundra's rated at 9900. Its a rear kitchen floorplan so some of the weight can counter-balance the heavy tongue for this trailer. With that said I did add the Firestone rear air bags to the Tundra. One thing that really helps on this trailer is it has the MorRyde 3000 suspension with 4 Monroe shocks. Its tows so well over bad roads, smooth as silk.
The Tundra has plenty of HP pull the load, and we do some out of the way camping locations in state, USFS and national parks. Would I tow an even heavier / larger trailer?, No, I don't think I would. I like to stay under that 80% of capacity number.
What do I get for MPG's. At 62 MPH & low winds, I get 9.5 MPG. My last trailer was 5500 - 5800 loaded and I got 11.5 MPG, but it was also 18" height wise shorter.
Yes, I do tow very cautiously? Yes. How many times have I seen an RV trailer blowing by at 75-80 mph all over the road, yes with a 3/4 or one ton trucks
too.

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1 Posts
It doesn't matter what you are saying. Don't care your age, or how many miles you have driven. Blah blah blah. You are not as good as you think you are or claim to be. Trust me, I am better than you will ever be. I stay within the legal capacity of my vehicle because I actually care about the safety of those that are around me, and about those that are in my vehicle. You are what is called a Billy Big Rigger. You sir are a joke.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

After 7 months of driving and towing with the new 21’ Trail Boss, I am hands down much happier than with my 17’ Tundra. In every measurable metric the Trail Boss has been far better. Gas mileage is up by a third, towing has been effortless, safe and legal, and the driving experience is much nicer.

·
Registered
357 Posts
It doesn't matter what you are saying. Don't care your age, or how many miles you have driven. Blah blah blah. You are not as good as you think you are or claim to be. Trust me, I am better than you will ever be. I stay within the legal capacity of my vehicle because I actually care about the safety of those that are around me, and about those that are in my vehicle. You are what is called a Billy Big Rigger. You sir are a joke.
Damn Dude!!! New Member with one post and you are the expert on this forum! Let’s insult everyone that doesn’t agree with you. Take a chill pill!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts