Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I have the T-Force and I love the way the rims and tires look however; they are loud and I believe, costing me money on fuel. Any suggestions on swapping them for smaller ones and will that actually increase my MPG enough?

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
Umm...2 very important facts you've left out..
1- what size are the tires
2- what brand/model are the tires?

The best mpg will come from factory sized, p-rated street tires...either 255/70/18 or 275/65/18.

Unless they are 20" wheels...then whatever a 32" street tire would be.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Which BFG?

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Going to smaller wheels and p-rated tires, at least in theory, should improve your mpg. Is the improvement detectable? It seems so (by looking at other members' reports). Is it significant? Depending on your definition of 'significant'. Is it significant enough to give up the 'cool' factor? For me, no. I can't wait to replace my p-rated tires with e-rated ones.

·
Registered
188 Posts
What size are those rims? They look big. In my experience the more sidewall (smaller the rim) the quieter and less handling. Less sidewall (bigger rim) the louder and better handling.

I have 35s with an 18" rim, toyo m/t and my ride is quiet. Mileage sucks.

On my lexus I went up to a 18" rim from 17" and the ride was noticeably louder. But it looks and handles better. So there are trade offs.

·
Premium Member
39,325 Posts
You won't even save enough in fuel to offset the tire purchase. Get a prius :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What size are those rims? They look big. In my experience the more sidewall (smaller the rim) the quieter and less handling. Less sidewall (bigger rim) the louder and better handling.

I have 35s with an 18" rim, toyo m/t and my ride is quiet. Mileage sucks.

On my lexus I went up to a 18" rim from 17" and the ride was noticeably louder. But it looks and handles better. So there are trade offs.
I measured across the rim and they are 24"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts