·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 sr5
4.6 v8
4wd
All stock

Fueled up yesterday, drove about 20-30 miles with no problems ..parked for the night, started up today and drove about 1 mile and started to stahl out, pulled over and it shut off and CEL & AT oil temp lights come on. Putted it back home without touching gas, stalled once, easily reastarted, got it home...it starts right up, runs for about a minute then dies..no CEL while running. Once is dies the CEL and AT oil temp lights come on..no codes..

I unplugged one of the 4 fuel lines going to the fuel rail and had my Dad crank the the motor...a really good amount of fuel is pumping out..but the pressure isn't really impressive
Unplugged battery, cleaned the maf, banged out the air filter, started it with the air box open, all the basics...it runs at idle for about a minute then stalls out..am I missing anything ? Any place to put a gauge on it ?

Any way to test the little fuel pump ecu mounted on the frame rail right there by tank?
Any help or suggestions highly appreciated

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
...Fueled up yesterday, drove about 20-30 miles with no problems ..parked for the night, started up today and drove about 1 mile and started to stahl out, pulled over and it shut off and CEL & AT oil temp lights come on. Putted it back home without touching gas, stalled once, easily reastarted, got it home...it starts right up, runs for about a minute then dies..no CEL while running. Once is dies the CEL and AT oil temp lights come on..no codes..
In this context, I probably would not immediately assume it was the fuel pump. The appearance of trouble that quickly after refueling suggests to me that you may have gotten some bad gasoline. It's rare, but it does happen.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the tank was pretty empty I wouldn't have noticed immediately after fill up ?
I do have the bad habit of letting tank run "dry" before refueling which I've read is bad for the pump..I also ran out of fuel completely (stupidly) about a month ago..
Going to remove some fuel and check for water, have a pump on order..mechanic said he would pressure test first

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
If the tank was pretty empty I wouldn't have noticed immediately after fill up ?
I do have the bad habit of letting tank run "dry" before refueling which I've read is bad for the pump..I also ran out of fuel completely (stupidly) about a month ago..
Going to remove some fuel and check for water, have a pump on order..mechanic said he would pressure test first
"Pretty empty"?...If it had ANY gasoline left in the tank, probably not...20-30 miles is pretty immediate; maybe just about the time it takes to clear the previous fuel out of the line, and start on contaminated fuel? I understand the Tundras maintain a hefty reserve (7 gallons?) to cool the fuel pump. So, if you habitually run the tank nearly empty, perhaps you are having a fuel pump problem. Maybe adjusting your fueling habits would be a good idea to prevent future problems.

I concur with the pressure test; if it's the fuel pump, that will be a good indicator. The first thing I would do is change the fuel filter. Solids from "dirty gasoline" may have plugged the filter, and frankly, that's likely to the best outcome. My experience with Toyota trucks is that probably won't be easy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks,
Is the filter and pump one assembly ? I know it's in the tank but is it a separate part?
Either way if tank needs to be dropped I'm going to have pump & filter both done rather than take a chance of one or the other going at a later date.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Pressure test the FP to be sure that's the issue. It's usually fairly easy to do, if you have the gauge, otherwise have your mechanic do it.

The fuel filter for the Tundra is located in the fuel tank. If you replace the fuel pump, make sure you replace the filter at the same time. That being said, I doubt it is your fuel filter that is causing that much issue. Start filling up between 1/4 and 1/2 tank to avoid the empty tank issues.

--Matt

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fuel pump in, it starts right up, idles, and accelerates...3 things it wasn't really doing yesterday. But it's still struggling for power a little...mechanic said throttle body has been re-learned or whatever, now suggesting fuel pressure regulator as it's basically the only thing that's mechanical and it's not throwing any codes...

·
Administrator
5,324 Posts
Fuel pump in, it starts right up, idles, and accelerates...3 things it wasn't really doing yesterday. But it's still struggling for power a little...mechanic said throttle body has been re-learned or whatever, now suggesting fuel pressure regulator as it's basically the only thing that's mechanical and it's not throwing any codes...
Have you disconnected your battery for a bit to reset everything?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't before the pump. I'll ask them first thing Monday if they did it after. I'd assume they had it disconnected while installing fuel pump..not sure if that counts...good question tho thanks

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
now suggesting fuel pressure regulator as it's basically the only thing that's mechanical and it's not throwing any codes...

When low fuel pressure was discovered this should have been checked before condemning the fuel pump. Also the voltage from the fuel pump ecu to the fuel pump should have been checked to make sure it was ok. Has the fuel pressure been rechecked since the new pump was installed?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As mentioned above the pressure was checked before pump installed, was reading low (25psi)
Also the ecu was checked, reading good...cleaned the plug connection..
New fuel pump installed, it started right up, idled, ran down the road about a mile completely normal then fell on its face..
Now the ecu showing bad..
Replaced the ecu, all good now...back to purring like a kitten..
Thanks for everyone's input

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.