Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just encountered a brief chattering sound on cold startup coming from front top passenger side of engine. Only lasted about a few seconds. Almost sounds like Valve Train... Anyone ever experience this ? Any ideas ? This is second time it has happened in two weeks. Thanks ;)

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
I experienced the same thing a couple days ago, my truck sat for over a week though. My best guess is it was the valves rattling for lack of oil..

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Or maybe something with the VVT (variable valve timing)??

Reactions: Joey N

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sounded like quick combination of chatter and light rattling sound very short but noticably loud. About 3500 since last oil change. Oil was fine. Oil pressure gauge seemed fine. I hate these " idiot" guages. I wish they would give us a real pressure gauge .

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
There are a couple things that are making the noise together. The loudest is the ACIS butterflies in the intake opening and closing to find the right air mixture. The other is the VVT-i system modulating both cams. It's normal..... Every Tundra made will do it if it has set for a while and/or it's cold outside.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are a couple things that are making the noise together. The loudest is the ACIS butterflies in the intake opening and closing to find the right air mixture. The other is the VVT-i system modulating both cams. It's normal..... Every Tundra made will do it if it has set for a while and/or it's cold outside.
Thanks for the info Indy.:cool:

·
Registered
238 Posts
I just encountered a brief chattering sound on cold startup coming from front top passenger side of engine. Only lasted about a few seconds. Almost sounds like Valve Train... Anyone ever experience this ? Any ideas ? This is second time it has happened in two weeks. Thanks ;)
I've experienced this chatter noise too more than a few times. Seems to only happen when truck has sat for awhile or cold. Truck runs fine so prolly normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
1 Posts
thanks a bunch for this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Didnt say what year the truck is. But if its a 4.6 or 5.7 could be the timing chain rattling on start up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 9 of 9 Posts