Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Try this again.

When i first start my truck (cold start) its starts idles high/revs a bit then stutters, almost sounds like it stalls real briefly the idles normal.

Maybe a year or more after i got it in 2011 it did it. Then it woukd happen once in a great while. Now it’s almost every day.

I am concerned something might be getting worse and i dont want to get stranded

Or is this a normal behavior and I’m being stupid

Its 2010 5.7l with 60k miles. I did add a Volant CAI when i first got it.

I have an extended warranty until 75k. But if it is an issue they wont find it cuz its intermittent and will most likely not happen while in their shop

Thank you

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. Only when I installed the CAI. ill try that first. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,028 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Just wanted to mention that there have been some FFV that have had this issue where they needed a software update. I believe Tundra didn't add FFV till 2011 but I'm not exactly sure.

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted to mention that there have been some FFV that have had this issue where they needed a software update. I believe Tundra didn't add FFV till 2011 but I'm not exactly sure.
I do have the FFV, I take it to the dealer for it's routine maintenence, I would think they would install software updates, but maybe not. I'll ask next time I take it in. Thank You

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll hit walmart and grab this today-Thank you

·
Registered
13,521 Posts
Tundra had ffv since at least 2007.

It might be thinking it is in flex mode, you can scan it with a bluetooth scanner and your phone and check the alcohol %.

The issues with ffv does not affect every truck, it is hit or miss. My 2010 never had issues, my 2017 has issues and is currently locked at 0%, when it should be 7-10%.

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

It might be thinking it is in flex mode, you can scan it with a bluetooth scanner and your phone and check the alcohol %.

The issues with ffv does not affect every truck, it is hit or miss. My 2010 never had issues, my 2017 has issues and is currently locked at 0%, when it should be 7-10%.

Can it be changed? I have techstream software. Wonder if it would show me the %

I grabbed the clening kit from wally world today. Ill clean it this weekend

Thank you

·
Registered
13,521 Posts
Can it be changed? I have techstream software. Wonder if it would show me the %

I grabbed the clening kit from wally world today. Ill clean it this weekend

Thank you

Techstream will show it.

It can be reset through techstream. Unless the ecu locks it I guess. There was supposed to be an update for my truck July/August, but I am not sure if it was released.

The older trucks had an update if there were one of the ones that it went wonky on.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts

I thought they ended up making it zero unless it was over 10 percent? No sure. Sometimes I remember things that weren't there. :)

·
Registered
13,521 Posts
I thought they ended up making it zero unless it was over 10 percent? No sure. Sometimes I remember things that weren't there. :)
No, at least not on my 2017.

Dealer reset my truck, ran better, then slowly crept up to 27ish %, then one day just defaulted to 0%, and it's stuck there.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Techstream will show it.

It can be reset through techstream. Unless the ecu locks it I guess. There was supposed to be an update for my truck July/August, but I am not sure if it was released.

The older trucks had an update if there were one of the ones that it went wonky on.[/QUOTE]

Mine hasn’t moved off 20% for a long time even though I run both ethanol free or E10. I can watch it drop down to 10% or so within the first 5 min of filling up, but at 5min 1 sec, it reverts back to 20% and stays there. What is the update you are referring to? Mine is a 2016.

·
Registered
13,521 Posts
Techstream will show it.

The older trucks had an update if there were one of the ones that it went wonky on.
Mine hasn’t moved off 20% for a long time even though I run both ethanol free or E10. I can watch it drop down to 10% or so within the first 5 min of filling up, but at 5min 1 sec, it reverts back to 20% and stays there. What is the update you are referring to? Mine is a 2016.[/QUOTE]

I am not really sure what the update was to be honest. I was just told by the service manager when I said I was still having issues, and mine was locked at 0, mpg and performance down slightly, that there was an update to be out july/aug ish.

Pretty much if it locks itself to zero, there's an issue. I have been meaning to chat with him as my last oil change is due, and there is a recall on my rear bumper wings that needs addressed still. And a few other minor things.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts