Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a 2012 Crewmax and wanted to know if someone could tell me if the SR5 package comes with alloy wheels instead of the steel wheels.

The salesman is telling me that in order to get the alloys, I'll have to upgrade my package to TRD. I've had another salesman at another dealership tell me the SR5 package comes with the alloys.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Sr5 comes with alloys, they look different from the Trd alloys though. Maybe they have changed since 2008 but I doubt it

Reactions: dikkie

·
"The Closer"
10,387 Posts
welcome aboard from the netherlands..!!

:D dikkie :D

·
Registered
350 Posts
When I bought my 2010, the Alloys(not the TRD ones) were an option with the SR5. I just looked at the 2012 spec sheet and the 2012 seems to be the same way. Also, the alloys are not part of the SR5 package, but a separate option.

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
When I bought my 2010, the Alloys(not the TRD ones) were an option with the SR5. I just looked at the 2012 spec sheet and the 2012 seems to be the same way. Also, the alloys are not part of the SR5 package, but a separate option.
This is correct. The SR5 option wheels is 18" that looks like the Limited 20's.
That is the toyota deal. If you live in one of the southern regions, all bets are off, they do what they want.

·
Registered
350 Posts
This is correct. The SR5 option wheels is 18" that looks like the Limited 20's.
That is the toyota deal. If you live in one of the southern regions, all bets are off, they do what they want.
And if I recall correctly, it was kind of an expensive option. $900ish for the 18" alloys.

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
And if I recall correctly, it was kind of an expensive option. $900ish for the 18" alloys.
Yep my 2012 SR5 came with $910 worth of alloy's they are still a 5 spoke but thinner and have a ridge down the middle of the spoke. The TRD package alloys are a fat 5 spoke, I prefer them to the SR5 alloys. I do not however recomend the TRD off road package. It has really tight shocks and it's a rough ride. The SR5 without the TRD rides like a cadillac compared to the ride with it.

·
Registered
631 Posts
The TRD alloys are all over Craigslist and are pretty cheap. I have seen them for $200 for a set. If all you want in the package is the alloys. You can get them without buying the whole package.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The TRD alloys are all over Craigslist and are pretty cheap. I have seen them for $200 for a set. If all you want in the package is the alloys. You can get them without buying the whole package.
I picked up a set of TRD alloys in very good condition, tires w/ 50% tread, lugs, and TPMS for $400.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all responses, I really appreciate it. I do live in the Southern Region and that's why they don't come with the alloys. I've been talking to another saleman in the northern region and he was the one who told me that allopys come with the SR5 package.

I'm sure I'll be asking more questions as I narrow down my selection and eventually buy one. Hopefully, it'll be in another week or so.

Again Thanks

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thanks to all responses, I really appreciate it. I do live in the Southern Region and that's why they don't come with the alloys. I've been talking to another saleman in the northern region and he was the one who told me that allopys come with the SR5 package.

I'm sure I'll be asking more questions as I narrow down my selection and eventually buy one. Hopefully, it'll be in another week or so.

Again Thanks
The best thing to do is get the specification book online and check what all the option packages include. Never trust a salesman.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Yep my 2012 SR5 came with $910 worth of alloy's they are still a 5 spoke but thinner and have a ridge down the middle of the spoke. The TRD package alloys are a fat 5 spoke, I prefer them to the SR5 alloys. I do not however recomend the TRD off road package. It has really tight shocks and it's a rough ride. The SR5 without the TRD rides like a cadillac compared to the ride with it.
though i respect your opinion the TRD stiffness is purely a relative opinion.
i have them and they are much softer than the 5100s i had on my old truck.

im actually looking to upgrade so if you want my TRD shocks ill give you a helluva deal. they have 1400 miles on them.

·
Registered
631 Posts

Again Thanks
Make sure you think this over very carefully. If you decide later on that you want to add something that you could have gotten in a package or an option, ie. tow package, tow mirrors, suspension, etc. it will cost you much, much more. For instance since I ordered a Limited it only cost me $70 to add the TRD Off Road option. It is much cheaper to get it on the truck when you buy it than to buy it afterwards and then install it. IMO.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
welcome to tt! those sales guys just like to tell you things like that because thats all they have on the lot or coming in to sell to you. they can always trade other dealerships or modify their truck specs before they go into production. it always helps to do your research when buying a new car.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
words of wisdom!!!! buy you rims afterwards!!! my trd sport rims cost me $2500 when i bought it thru the dealer. not worth it get steels on the damn truck and shop around on craigslist.

Reactions: chode and dikkie

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Make sure you think this over very carefully. If you decide later on that you want to add something that you could have gotten in a package or an option, ie. tow package, tow mirrors, suspension, etc. it will cost you much, much more. For instance since I ordered a Limited it only cost me $70 to add the TRD Off Road option. It is much cheaper to get it on the truck when you buy it than to buy it afterwards and then install it. IMO.
you got takin for $70 cause it already comes with it. All the off road package is is the bilstien shocks. trust me i work making these trucks everyday. gulf coast sales adds the wheels( RW/TRD Sport ,lucasse edition and the trd shifter. but everything else is stock. I'm guessing you have a 2wd right.

·
Registered
631 Posts
you got takin for $70 cause it already comes with it. All the off road package is is the bilstien shocks. trust me i work making these trucks everyday. gulf coast sales adds the wheels( RW/TRD Sport ,lucasse edition and the trd shifter. but everything else is stock. I'm guessing you have a 2wd right.
The Limited package did not include the off road supension, fuel tank skit plate, or the Bilstein shocks. Since I tow a travel trailer I wanted the heavier suspension and since I have no intention of getting a lift I wanted the Bilstein shocks which I believe have a lifetime warranty. At least they use to and I was told they still do. Since some of the places I go camping have dirt roads, that are not well maintained, I also wanted some protection for the fuel tank. To add all of those things would easily cost well over $70.

No, it 4x4.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
i make these truck on the daily for (7+ years) the only thing that i see that you have that is not factory is the fuel tank skid plate. Just a tip if your truck is used for off roading the sway bar might cause more trouble than good. Do your research.

·
Registered
631 Posts
i make these truck on the daily for (7+ years) the only thing that i see that you have that is not factory is the fuel tank skid plate. Just a tip if your truck is used for off roading the sway bar might cause more trouble than good. Do your research.
Nope not used for off roading. So, are you saying that when Toyota sez the TRD Off-Road Package includes, "off-road tuned suspension" there is no difference between that and a Tundra Grade? And you are basing this on your being an insider and your experience of having built these trucks daily over the past 7+ years?

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Tundra grade trucks use tokico 48510-0C070 in the front and 0C0080 in the rear. A Trd off road package has bilstien shocks. Yellow and blue. Trust me I know we have to scrap shocks if theres even a scratch on them, before they get sold to Toyota logistics.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts