Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed my CST spindle lift and I'll admit, I probably did a poor job making sure I got all the fingerprints/crap off the pads/rotors before buttoning it all back up. Now, I'm getting some squeeking during light braking. I has gotten better but still exists, mostly when I'm casually slowing like approaching a stop sign. If I late brake and brake a little harder, it passes the "squeak zone" and stops fine.

What could it be besides contamination of the pads/rotors? It's been about 500 miles since the install and it got much better the first week but now it's happerning about 50% of the time I'm light braking.

What if I was to take the rotors off and give them a quick sand with some light grit just to rough em up and sand a fine layer off the pads, clean it all with brake clean and put it back together?

any other thoughts? There is plenty of pad left, I only have 13K miles on the truck.

·
Banned
5,396 Posts
I'm in the same position but I already cleans the rotors so I think I'm goin to have to change the pads because there is no getting any contaminants out of the pads, after that I should b good

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Maybe check if you bent the dust shield a little. Hey! I'm being optimistic. Maybe it's simple enough to only be that. Yes, I did that once back in the day.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Revisiting this issue. It's been at least 1500 city miles with lots of breaking, it got a lot less frequent but it still does it every morning for the first couple times I brake. This is probably VERY annoying to my neighbors at 5am when I'm sneaking out of my neighborhood.

Switch pads at 15K miles to make it go away? What do the masses think? Maybe I should just go to the BBK...LOL. If they wern't so damn expensive I'd do it.

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
perhaps the anti-rattle clips need to be pulled off and bent wider, then re-seated. Just thinking out loud, when they're not quite right but as they heat up, they expand enough to keep the vibration at bay. May be worth re-seating the pads and checking the clips.

BTW how are you liking the spindles?

·
Banned
5,396 Posts
Revisiting this issue. It's been at least 1500 city miles with lots of breaking, it got a lot less frequent but it still does it every morning for the first couple times I brake. This is probably VERY annoying to my neighbors at 5am when I'm sneaking out of my neighborhood.

Switch pads at 15K miles to make it go away? What do the masses think? Maybe I should just go to the BBK...LOL. If they wern't so damn expensive I'd do it.
I should've mentioned that after I installed my king coilovers the same thing happened I stated in earlier post so I changed my rotor and now the problem is fixed!! When u get those things dirty I guess there is no cleaning them. Also as soon as I changed the rotors the squeak went away, then I changed the pads the next day

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
perhaps the anti-rattle clips need to be pulled off and bent wider, then re-seated. Just thinking out loud, when they're not quite right but as they heat up, they expand enough to keep the vibration at bay. May be worth re-seating the pads and checking the clips.

BTW how are you liking the spindles?
Thanks man, i'll look at that.

Absolutely love the spindles, truck drives perfect and looks awesome.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you try breaking the brakes in again to clean them off? Sometimes that works.
I did and it got much less frequent. That's what made me think it was the contamination of the pads that burnt off during that. Now it's just during light braking and only for the first couple stops. What is also weird, if it's raining out, they are much worse. But it's still when I first start out so there really isn't any way water can be getting splashed on the pads, I'm only going about 15mph out of my neighborhood. Don't know what to make of that.

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
It just sounds like expansion of some sort, that's why I lean towards the rattle clips. After you brake a few times the heat causes them to expand so no more vibration/squeak. When it's raining, water vapor evaporates from the heat, cooling it and the surrounding area down much faster, hence less expansion/more squeak. If it were contamination it should stay constant or get better over time, not come and go no? On top of that, it started after you took them apart so my money is on the clips. Then again, if you couldn't tell by my gameroom cash, I'm a horrible gambler :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts