Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any issues with bilstein 5100 shocks squeaking up front? I've ha d them on for about 5000 miles and it just started about a week ago. It is driving me nuts. I was thinkin originally that it was a body panel but I don't think it is.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: Turtle9343

·
Registered
108 Posts
Mine have a high pitch squeak squeak also. I'm pretty sure it's just my drivers side. Let me know if you figure out what area of friction it's coming from.
I only hear it when my windows are down but it's very annoying.

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exactly. Only when my window is down do I hear it too. I haven't pin pointed it yet.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Could be your bumper, lower control arm bushings, upper ball joint or anything in between.

I have a squeak from my brush guard and another that came from the bushing on my LCA and it was fixed with some grease

·
Registered
108 Posts
Can I grease the LCA and ball joint without disassembling the suspension?
There looks like a small gap in the joints of both upper and lower C arms, did you just shoot some grease into those gaps?

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Left side is still squeaking everytime I hit a bump. But it kind of sounds like the squeak is coming from under the center of the engine bay for some reason. Any ideas???

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Grab a friend to rock the truck and poke around. Nothing we can really diagnose over the internet. As you are finding out, squeaks can sound like they're coming from the back but really be from the front.

Let us know what you find.

-rockstate

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tried to get the fiancé to shake the truck while I got under it and she was able to make it squeak as loud as a mute mouse from 100 yds away. I'll try and get under it again this weekend.

Reactions: rockstate45

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Haha man I hope you can figure it out. My brush guard squeaks against the bumper (I think). Could your bumper be the culprit?

-rockstate

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've wondered that as well. It never squeaked before I replaced the bumper but I only noticed it about two or three weeks ago. But I guess that was the first time it was nice enough to have the windows rolled down since I installed it two months ago. I may just WD40 the hell out of all the connection points.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Please see this thread, I have a squeak, so did the O.P. His rack failed...

I took and posted video (windy outside, none the less you can hear it) and see if it is the same squeak...

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tu...7929-another-rack-bites-dust.html#post1154033

I thought all winter it was my non steel bumper as I could hear it inside, but could shake, hit, bump, jar, wiggle and never was able to replicate the noise unless I was driving fwiw.

I know the plastic bumper trucks do make stupid crappy sounding noises on dirt roads, but this is like 25mph on a city side street hit a manhole and squeak squeak...

How many miles stroopeRrw

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Please see this thread, I have a squeak, so did the O.P. His rack failed...

I took and posted video (windy outside, none the less you can hear it) and see if it is the same squeak...

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tu...7929-another-rack-bites-dust.html#post1154033

I thought all winter it was my non steel bumper as I could hear it inside, but could shake, hit, bump, jar, wiggle and never was able to replicate the noise unless I was driving fwiw.

I know the plastic bumper trucks do make stupid crappy sounding noises on dirt roads, but this is like 25mph on a city side street hit a manhole and squeak squeak...

How many miles stroopeRrw
I just ticked over 15,000 this month. The truck isn't even a year old. I'm hopin it's just something small and stupid. Not a steerin rack.

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How is the gap between your bumper and your fender? Does your bumper keep the bumper cover too?

-rockstate
I've got a half inch gap between the body and bumper. I'm wondering if it may be the point of contact between the bumper baseplate and the truck frame rails.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
I'm barely over 20k miles...fwiw

Reactions: 3drewdog

·
Registered
108 Posts
My squeak turned out to be my leaf springs. I was convinced the sound was coming from front left suspension, took it back to the shop that did the install and had them recheck the bolts and add grease wherever possible.
I decided to roll up the front windows and roll down the rears and back just for grins while trying to locate this damn squeak. I could still hear it, so I had my buddy drive over some bumps at a slow speed while I sat in the bed.
It's the stupid leafs. Still annoying but definitely an easy fix and less scary than front end problems in the suspension or rack.
Double check your noise isn't coming from the rear end. I really thought it was from the front so don't overlook it.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
I am sure my noise is from drivers side...

doesn't make noise on a lift without weight tho, turning by hand...

Odd.

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So back from the dealer and figured out that it was the long bolt that connects the top of the strut to the strut housing on the frame ( if that makes sense). When my buddies shop installed my Bilstein 5100s he cross threaded the nut on that long bolt and thought it was tight but it was not. With that little extra room for movement it has worked itself into a squeak. But the dealer covered it under warranty and I will get the new parts installed on Thursday. They are replacing both sides just to be safe.

·
Registered
326 Posts
FWIW - I had a squeak after installing my 5100's when going over seed bumps, etc. I jumped up and down on the bumper and had my son listen. Turned out to be a couple of plastic clips between the bumper and body panel right above the bumper. Trimmed the plastic clips a little and solved the problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts