Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Wish I could join you guys. AB is one of my favorite places... Though it will probably be a bit warm this time of year.
I've got a 2004 Limited CM with 5100's on all four corners, but I'm saving $$ like crazy for a new Tundra purchase next summer (closeout '18s).
If you guys do another trip in a few months I may join you. Just glad to see how many OC/SD folks are on here, and when I get my new Toy(ota) I'll be hittin all you guys up for advice!!

Have a great time!!

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Wish I could join you guys. AB is one of my favorite places... Though it will probably be a bit warm this time of year.
I've got a 2004 Limited CM with 5100's on all four corners, but I'm saving $$ like crazy for a new Tundra purchase next summer (closeout '18s).
If you guys do another trip in a few months I may join you. Just glad to see how many OC/SD folks are on here, and when I get my new Toy(ota) I'll be hittin all you guys up for advice!!

Have a great time!!
weather will be beautiful! mid 90s and 60s at night

We go on a trip about once a month or so. Southern UT at the end of the month, Moab in Oct, AZ in Nov, Mojave in Dec. Join us sometime!

·
Registered
127 Posts
weather will be beautiful! mid 90s and 60s at night

We go on a trip about once a month or so. Southern UT at the end of the month, Moab in Oct, AZ in Nov, Mojave in Dec. Join us sometime!
LOL... Oh yeah, I guess mid 90's is ok for 4x4. I'm a Mountainbiker first and foremost so to me, 90's is too hot, but I always think in terms of "ride" weather, not driving weather. Low to mid 70's daytime is my kinda perfect!!

Btw, if any of you ride, lemme know. I'm as informed on mtn bikes as you guys are on trucks. That's actually one thing I find surprising here is that most folks seem to know so little about Susp characteristics. How preload affects sag, optimal sag levels, how you can use springs of different weights with preload to set sag, but spring rate differences to affect susp characteristics (big hits vs little hits) and setups for various terrain types. High vs low speed compression, rebound settings etc.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
LOL... Oh yeah, I guess mid 90's is ok for 4x4. I'm a Mountainbiker first and foremost so to me, 90's is too hot, but I always think in terms of "ride" weather, not driving weather. Low to mid 70's daytime is my kinda perfect!!

Btw, if any of you ride, lemme know. I'm as informed on mtn bikes as you guys are on trucks. That's actually one thing I find surprising here is that most folks seem to know so little about Susp characteristics. How preload affects sag, optimal sag levels, how you can use springs of different weights with preload to set sag, but spring rate differences to affect susp characteristics (big hits vs little hits) and setups for various terrain types. High vs low speed compression, rebound settings etc.
haha! throw all that sht out the window when you are talking about trucks. You want to softest spring rate to hold the truck up without the coils binding at full compression. Then you tune everything with valving. With trucks you have bypasses, bikes dont have bypasses. Position sensitive compression is a completely different ride.

I ride all the time! I have a 2016 intense tracer 275c expert with some mods. I've been off the bike for half year due to injury, but I'm ready to get back on as soon as it cools off.! You're right, 90 is too hot to ride, but in air conditioned trucks its just fine with me lol

·
Registered
127 Posts
haha! throw all that sht out the window when you are talking about trucks. You want to softest spring rate to hold the truck up without the coils binding at full compression. Then you tune everything with valving. With trucks you have bypasses, bikes dont have bypasses. Position sensitive compression is a completely different ride.

I ride all the time! I have a 2016 intense tracer 275c expert with some mods. I've been off the bike for half year due to injury, but I'm ready to get back on as soon as it cools off.! You're right, 90 is too hot to ride, but in air conditioned trucks its just fine with me lol
Nice bike... And a very LOCAL brand to you. ;)
I have an older Intense M6 as my DH ride, but most of my time is now spent on my 140mm travel Banshee Spitfire. With the right geometry even a 160/140mm bike can ride just about anything. My goal is to set up my tundra (this one or the next) as the ultimate get-anywhere bike camping shuttle rig.

·
Registered
127 Posts

Oh, and as far as the truck shock/spring thing, the position sensitivity is handled by the shock while for the mtb, it's the leverage curve of the susp kinematics itself.
Soft at the top, good mid travel support and then a big ramp up at the end for drops and big hits.

Btw, When it cools down a bit, we should meet up for a San Juan ride...

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Nice bike... And a very LOCAL brand to you. ;)
I have an older Intense M6 as my DH ride, but most of my time is now spent on my 140mm travel Banshee Spitfire. With the right geometry even a 160/140mm bike can ride just about anything. My goal is to set up my tundra (this one or the next) as the ultimate get-anywhere bike camping shuttle rig.
Oh, and as far as the truck shock/spring thing, the position sensitivity is handled by the shock while for the mtb, it's the leverage curve of the susp kinematics itself.
Soft at the top, good mid travel support and then a big ramp up at the end for drops and big hits.

Btw, When it cools down a bit, we should meet up for a San Juan ride...
Yeah dude I love riding San Juan! I'm done doing the big downhill stuff though. I've had too many injuries. My truck is set up for bike camping. I plan on doing some bike camp trips this year. Big Bear, Sedona, etc. Lets ride homie! One of my riding buddies, @Scooby moved to ID so I need more riders in my life

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yeah dude I love riding San Juan! I'm done doing the big downhill stuff though. I've had too many injuries. My truck is set up for bike camping. I plan on doing some bike camp trips this year. Big Bear, Sedona, etc. Lets ride homie! One of my riding buddies, @Scooby moved to ID so I need more riders in my life

LOL.... Boise? I've had at least two friends move there in the past few years, and another few contemplating it.

As the weather cools down a bit more, I'll hit you up for a ride.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Pic DUMP!

btw, the LR4 lost a sensor on the last day and the suspension dropped to the stops lol thats why it looks like a lo lo

Attachments

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
It was a fun trip!! Can’t wait to get out again!

Reactions: riccnick

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
We're leaving on Wed for southern utah lets roll homie!

Can’t make that one, not enough time off left on the books. Already taking some time in Oct to see family up north.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Looks like you guys had a blast! Love the 50/50 shot on the dune. What I wanna know is how you dropped into that hidden mud pit!! And how you got out of course...
Was it a geo-thermal pit w/ 200 degree mud that would cook a person if they fell in?

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Looks like you guys had a blast! Love the 50/50 shot on the dune. What I wanna know is how you dropped into that hidden mud pit!! And how you got out of course...
Was it a geo-thermal pit w/ 200 degree mud that would cook a person if they fell in?
haha! I swear the ground was flat and collapsed under my wheel into some sort of gooey mud hole. But of course, if you asked the other guys I drove straight into it lol In any case, it definitely caught me by surprise. It took @papasmurf several good tugs to get me free

·
Registered
431 Posts
We had a blast! We're leaving for Southern Utah on Wed, you wanna roll???
Uh, yeah!! Can't though. Seriously putting all my free time into getting my lt project started and then finished before the serious snow flies. No playing in the dirt till atleast the front is up and running. Death Valley in nov.

Take pics. Videos Include all camp antics plz

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Uh, yeah!! Can't though. Seriously putting all my free time into getting my lt project started and then finished before the serious snow flies. No playing in the dirt till atleast the front is up and running. Death Valley in nov.

Take pics. Videos Include all camp antics plz
ok you said it! Death Valley in Nov!

21 - 40 of 45 Posts