Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Speed Glampers Überfahrt: Anza Borrego Sep 14-17, 2017

SGU is going to Anza Borrego! Anybody interested in rolling with us?

I will be in Borrego Springs Thursday afternoon. Driving home Sunday. This trip will be mostly desert trail so we can stretch our legs and work our suspension. Bruce and Roy recently installed long travel front suspension and I have revalved all my bypasses. You don't need a fully built truck though, we stay together as a group, wait for everybody at turns, and help each other with breaks and stucks. This will be a great opportunity for you to see a large portion of the park in one weekend. You will need AT or mud tires, full size spare tire and tools to change it, VHF comms, and backcountry camping gear as we'll be doing dispersed camping. You will also need to bring extra fuel, at least 250 miles off road range. I get about 7 mpg off road so I am bringing 10 ga extra fuel. Bring extra water, 1 ga per person per day. You will also need to bring firewood, 2 to 4 bundles per truck.

We like to meet new people so don't be shy! If you would like to go, post here and pm me your email address and phone number.

Beer drinking and general shenanigans will be encouraged.

Role Call:

I have the following trucks confirmed so far:
@osidepunker , Alex solo. 4wd Tundra. Arriving Thu 2pm, leaving Sunday morning
@Roy Park , Roy. 4wd Tundra. Arriving Fri morning. Leaving Sat afternoon
@papasmurf , Bruce. 4wd Tundra. Arriving Thu 1830hrs. Leaving Sun morning
@jc153 , John. 4wd Tundra. Arriving Thu 1830hrs. Leaving Sun morning
@hoagie +1, 4wd FJ, arriving Thu 0000hrs, Leaving mid-day Sat
@djkaosone, Dave, Eurobox, arriving Fri around 4-5pm
@noSKills858 , Tacoma, Sat day run 9-10am at Fish Creek

Tentative:
@Zackbremer , Zack, 4wd Tundra, arriving Fri morning, leaving Sun
mrturner, 4wd Tacoma, possibly arriving with Hoagie

Route/Itinerary:

Final routes TBD

Ok so the loose plan is to camp Thu night somewhere north of Clark Dry Lake bed. I’ll be in the area Thu afternoon. Fri morning we’ll make our way east, through the dirt, to Salton Sea and fuel up. Then we’ll do dirt south through Ocotillo Wells. We will cross hwy 78 and blaze a trail south to the RR trax by Split Mtn. Then we will cut west and camp in Fish Creek Fri night. Sat we will head east along the RR trax and run to Superstition Mtn. I’ve never been there so we will play it loose. Then we will head south to Plaster City. We will fuel up at the chevron in Ocotillo, then decide on a camp. Depending on time of day, we can head through Valacito wash and find a camp there, or continue up to Blair Valley. We could also backtrack and camp by Superstition. Sun we can mess around in the morning then head home. If anybody has suggestion on routes, or places they want to see/do, let me know. I am flexible. I designed this route so we could bomb some trails and fully test our new suspension setups over long distances.

You will need to have some good fuel range for this trip. Friday’s run will be around 125 – 175 miles between fuel stops, but it will be lots of super soft sand and high speed. I am expecting 5 – 7 mpg on my truck so I am cutting it super close with 35 gallons total fuel.

Meal Planning:

Thu dinner: Jilbertos in Borregos Springs
Fri breakfast: JC
Fri dinner: Roy, Korean BBQ
Sat breakfast: Hoagie
Sat dinner: Bruce
Sun Breakfast: Alex, breakfast burritos

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wassup! I'd be down to meet other Tundra owners in SD. My 4wd is close to stock though so I'd be in for an easy trail run. I've got 5100's and 35" tires. Any recommendations for where to go?

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wassup! I'd be down to meet other Tundra owners in SD. My 4wd is close to stock though so I'd be in for an easy trail run. I've got 5100's and 35" tires. Any recommendations for where to go?
Try this run, I think it will be more stock friendly for you:

Anza-Borrego family fun trail run weekend

We don't usually say no to stock trucks. We love to meet new people! We've taken plenty of stock trucks with us. But this particular run will be a little rough for a stock truck. You will need at least some upgraded coilovers, rear shocks, and off road tires. But keep us in mind on the next run!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Try this run, I think it will be more stock friendly for you:

Anza-Borrego family fun trail run weekend

We don't usually say no to stock trucks. We love to meet new people! We've taken plenty of stock trucks with us. But this particular run will be a little rough for a stock truck. You will need at least some upgraded coilovers, rear shocks, and off road tires. But keep us in mind on the next run!
Don't discriminate against stock trucks Alex you a-hole

·
Registered
41 Posts
I might be interested.

Every thought of running down the old stagecoach route? I know it's technically "closed" but last time I checked I saw plenty of tracks running through it.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I might be interested.

Every thought of running down the old stagecoach route? I know it's technically "closed" but last time I checked I saw plenty of tracks running through it.
What is the old stagecoach route? I know the whole area almost, but I don't know trail names

You should roll with us!

·
Registered
41 Posts
My apologies, it's called The Butterfield Overland Stage Line...I'm pretty sure I've read different names though.

I went last year. It was eary, remote, soft and I was the only truck so I turned around. Can't do it in the winter because it's a giant wash and it might also be closed off...but I would love to attempt it again.

Vallecito ? Anza Borrego ? Total Escape

What is the old stagecoach route? I know the whole area almost, but I don't know trail names

You should roll with us!

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My apologies, it's called The Butterfield Overland Stage Line...I'm pretty sure I've read different names though.

I went last year. It was eary, remote, soft and I was the only truck so I turned around. Can't do it in the winter because it's a giant wash and it might also be closed off...but I would love to attempt it again.

Vallecito ? Anza Borrego ? Total Escape
Yeah dude I know the area well. You're right, it does get a little soft and my truck is a heavy pig and sinks easy. I got myself a set of traction boards so I don't have to worry about the sand. I haven't had to use them yet *fingers crossed *

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Updated first post with a loose route/itinerary. You will need to have some good fuel range for this trip. Friday’s run will be around 125 – 175 miles between fuel stops, but it will be lots of super soft sand and high speed. I am expecting 5 – 7 mpg on my truck so I am cutting it super close with 35 gallons total fuel.

If you have any comments/suggestions let me know

1 - 20 of 45 Posts