Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new owner here....any thoughts on door 6x9 speakers?

thanks

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
I have ran baffles, and they actually killed sound.

Enough to the point that I tore everything apart and cut the bottom half off, essentially just turning them into water guards. That actually helped a LOT.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have ran baffles, and they actually killed sound.

Enough to the point that I tore everything apart and cut the bottom half off, essentially just turning them into water guards. That actually helped a LOT.

Did you recreate the factory seal between the baffle and the door panel? That’s imperative. Otherwise the sound gets dispersed throughout the inside of the door panel.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
I am not sure what you are talking about.

The factory speakers had foam between them and the door skeleton. The entire backside of the cavity inside the door was open.

I used the baffles, which also had foam between the speaker and the door skeleton, and sound sucked, as they were sealed into a tiny compartment less than optimally sized volume for the components...

So I opened everything back up, cut the lower half of the baffle off, and sound was vastly improved...

And I left the foam between the speaker and the door skeleton where they mounted... :?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am not sure what you are talking about.

The factory speakers had foam between them and the door skeleton. The entire backside of the cavity inside the door was open.

I used the baffles, which also had foam between the speaker and the door skeleton, and sound sucked, as they were sealed into a tiny compartment less than optimally sized volume for the components...

So I opened everything back up, cut the lower half of the baffle off, and sound was vastly improved...

And I left the foam between the speaker and the door skeleton where they mounted... :?

I haven’t torn into mine just yet. Getting ready to do a full system. I was speaking in generality, most vehicles have a foam seal between the baffle face and the door panel. This seal is important to focus the sound into the cabin of the vehicle. When most people make baffles for new speakers they forego this seal and actually reduce the potential of their sound greatly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Been considering the Focal IC690tTOY....would the IS690TOY system work as well, replacing the dash speakers?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I haven’t torn into mine just yet. Getting ready to do a full system. I was speaking in generality, most vehicles have a foam seal between the baffle face and the door panel. This seal is important to focus the sound into the cabin of the vehicle. When most people make baffles for new speakers they forego this seal and actually reduce the potential of their sound greatly.
you guys are on two different pages here.

you say baffle and mean the seal between the door panel and speaker.

he says baffle and means what we in the industry mean as a foam cup around the back of the speaker to seal it off from the door interior.

sealing the front of the speaker to the plastic panel is good.

sealing off the back is bad as it turns the mid into a giant sealed back midrange and will lose all bass response and sound like poopy.

·
Registered
146 Posts
you guys are on two different pages here.

you say baffle and mean the seal between the door panel and speaker.

he says baffle and means what we in the industry mean as a foam cup around the back of the speaker to seal it off from the door interior.

sealing the front of the speaker to the plastic panel is good.

sealing off the back is bad as it turns the mid into a giant sealed back midrange and will lose all bass response and sound like poopy.

Haha, 10-4! I figured that after a minute. That’s why I tried to clarify where I was going.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.