Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am new to the forum. I just bought a 2010 crewmax limited with a factory navigation/jbl system. The factory sub, 6.5’s and 6.9’s were all blown so I replaced them with factory sizes. I replaced the navigation head unit with a pioneer 8 inch touchscreen. All of the speakers work but it seems as though a high pass filter is on for the 6.9 in the front doors. I’m getting nothing but base no mid or high. I looked at the factory amp under the passenger seat and there are no switches anywhere on the outside of the amp. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
14,173 Posts
There was a crossover of sorts built into the front speakers in the dash. I believe power goes there first, then to the doors, I forget. With them powered off the factory system, power may also be a factor, as well as impedance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There was a crossover of sorts built into the front speakers in the dash. I believe power goes there first, then to the doors, I forget. With them powered off the factory system, power may also be a factor, as well as impedance.
Thanks for replying. I an not real sure what you mean? I am not real savvy with radio settings at the eq level. I know sometimes amps have a HPF and a LPF switch. I assumed this would be my issue. I wonder if it is possible the factory nav head unit had a menu where you could turn on a HPF and the previous owner turned it on to stop as much sound coming from the 6.9’s because they were blown? Meaning that if I removed the factory head unit with the HPF on, would it remain on in the amp no matter what aftermarket head unit I put in, still only giving me lows from the 6.9’s?

·
Registered
14,173 Posts
So, it all depends on how the new HU is wired. If you used the factory wiring, you kinda have to make a jumper for the dash speakers to get full signal to the doors. I think you can buy one too. I forget, it was almost 10 years ago when I did my 2010. I know the front speakers were something I had to work around. I installed components, and put the tweeters in the dash, and woofers in the door. I used a JL HD900/5 amp, so I wired the crossover network for the front components in the rear, and ran new wires in the end to send signal to the tweeters in the dash, and the full/woofer signal to the doors. If I recall correctly, the signal goes first to the dash, then doors. I am pretty sure that's why I ran full new wiring to the tweets and doors. Plus I was running 100x4, which is borderline too much for factory wiring.

I'll say this is why I haven't done anything to my 17 Plat/jbl. It's a bit more of a pain to work-around.

·
Registered
14,173 Posts
🤔. Would it be easier to run a wire straight from the HU to the door speakers? Or what about replacing the amp?
Not necessarily easier, but you should get full signal to the fronts. Downside, depending on the ohm load of the front speakers you may run into an issue from incorrect impedance.

In reality, you should have a good clean signal from the hu, but only available to 4 channels.

I had great sound out of the front components with the tweeters in the dash, a little bright, but I had options for tweeters as far as higher or lower to change the "brightness".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts