Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that some of the modern engine management systems use the spark plug as part of the sensing system. My question is on a 2010 tundra 5.7 do I have to use Toyota plugs or will other brands work without messing up the engine management system? Has anybody out there changed their plugs without any problems???
Thanks in advance,
John

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
The recommended replacement interval is 100k miles for the factory plugs, so why use something else??

·
Registered
38 Posts
just changed mine last weekend with 95700kms went with the ngk iridium. was happy I did them they were pretty nasty looking. no issues so far. the denso plug was 2 bucks cheaper then the ngk, I highly doubt you would really notice a difference between the 2. just get the cheapest :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just changed mine last weekend with 95700kms went with the ngk iridium. was happy I did them they were pretty nasty looking. no issues so far. the denso plug was 2 bucks cheaper then the ngk, I highly doubt you would really notice a difference between the 2. just get the cheapest :)
Thanks, that's what I was looking for. Just wanted to make sure it wouldn't screw up the engine management.
John

·
Registered
168 Posts
so was thinking about changing mine and popped the hood...where the hell are the plugs

·
Registered
38 Posts
you cant really miss the plugs breauxmeister there are coil packs ontop of every plug, just look for a square black things with a wireharness attached to them and a 8 or 10 mm bolt attached to it holding it to the block. theres 8 of em so they all look the same.
crappy explanation but until someone with pics helps out that's all I got haha.

also for me anyway the drivers side bank took almost triple the amount of time it took for the passenger side. took me about 3 hours to do the job could be done in about a hour or less tho, I had the airbox out and cleaned the maf and throttle body at the same time

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Denso and NGK are about the same high quality...

I thought the 10's and earlier didn't have iridium or plat. plugs and called for sooner replacement than 100k miles...

I know fj's with the 4.0 as well as anything else with the 4.0 were known to have NGK in one head and Denso in the other, lol....

Just avoid champion, ac,..

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
I installed NGKs at 60K, the OEM Densos still looked great and I absolutely felt no difference with the NGKs..

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys, I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't screw up the engine management system. I've been doing mechanical work for over 40 years, but retired 4 years ago then bought the Tundra, and love it!!!
John

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
What I can tell you it was easy except for one plug on driver's side. You had to take a piece off the fender well so you could access that plug. Can't remember if it was the 2nd or 3rd plug going back on driver's side.

·
Registered
38 Posts
mickey , you don't need to take anything apart. its that plug where that bunch of wires/plastic goes into the fuse box. right? all I did was use 2 extensions for my ratchet a short one and a longer one, and was able to barely get it in there but it was a pain

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
I was lazy and didn't go back to the tool box to get my 18" longer extention. So I did everything while I was there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts