Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that my tires are too large to use the spare tyre thingy under the bed of the truck, how would you advise storing a spare? I don't want it bouncing around in the bed of the truck, but I guess it could be tied down to the bed using clamps. Alternately, I could keep it in the house, but it would not do much good if I got a flat.

Also, what kind of jack and tyre iron should be used now that the truck is lifted?

Specs - 12" suspension, 3" body lift, 40" tyre

·
"The Closer"
10,387 Posts
does explaining the obvious mean you're english and aren't willing to adept to the use of american english or am i really missing something here..?? :dunno:

hey, i have the right to ask that, i am dutch... we adjust and try to mingle in..!! :lol:

oh and about that tire / tyre, put it on the roof, using a roofrack... that would look great on your big blue beast..!! :yesnod:

:D dikkie :D

·
Registered
753 Posts
So, if you are sleepy, are you "tyred" or "tired" :dunno:

As far as storing the tire, you could get all expensive with it, and buy (or pay someone to build) one of those aftermarket bumpers with the tire carrier or something. The free option would be to strap it down in your bed. You'll need to think about security, people steal shit.

You may be able to use the same tire iron. Just double check that it fits your current lug nuts. If it doesn't, keep a 1/2" ratchet and socket set in your truck (with a correct size socket). Socket sets are always handy to have anyway :yesnod:

For a jack, your factory jack is probably useless. You may need to get a floor jack to keep in your truck, as well as a piece of 4x4 wood cut to a correct length. When I jack up my truck, for the front, I jack up the lower arm. For the rear, I use the part of the axle where the Ubolts nuts are installed. The piece of 4x4 I have (probably like 4x4x4") fits perfectly in that square part, and combined with my cheap trolley jack, lifts the rearend high enough to work on it (remove wheels, put jack stands under axle, etc.). Just get up under there and see how many inches you have between your axle and the ground, and plan your jack purchase around it.

If you aren't traveling too far, maybe you can just think about keeping a tire plug kit in your truck, and a cheapo cigarette lighter air compressor thingy :dunno: If you get a flat, plug that sucker, pump 'er up, and be back on your way.

I only load up my jack and socket set when I'm going out of town. When I'm in town, I'm always within 1/2 mile of a gas station with air pumps. :D
^^^Great info....

If Fenrisulfr does go with a floor jack for changing a spare tire he might also consider getting some 1'x1' steel plates. Unless he has a flat tire on a solid concrete surface a floor jack will sink into the ground on most surfaces found on the side of the road. Unstable surfaces like that are an accident waiting to happen when jacking up a 6000-7,000 lb Tundra.

When I do my spring and winter tire changes (from/to snow tires), I use metal plates under my floor jack on my blacktop driveway. I found out the hard way several years ago that when using a floor jack on my blacktop driveway. The floor jack sank into the blacktop and make divots in the driveway. Boy was that a PITA.

Just my .02

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
Even though I have a spare underneath I do have in the bed and extra tire with the same rim as the other four. I never tie it down and it barely moves unless I do a hard corner. I use a hydraulic jack with a 2 foot 2x6 and 2x4. It does the job way better than OEM jack. I do store this behind my pass rear seat wrapped in a towel.

·
"The Closer"
10,387 Posts
does explaining the obvious mean you're english and aren't willing to adept to the use of american english or am i really missing something here..?? :dunno:

hey, i have the right to ask that, i am dutch... we adjust and try to mingle in..!! :lol:

oh and about that tire / tyre, put it on the roof, using a roofrack... that would look great on your big blue beast..!! :yesnod:

I thynk it's just arrogance. :yesnod:

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
and jackassery!
as you know ( or may not know... :D ) i am in general a compassionate person, so in my quest of trying to find out, i really have considered autism as an option... :dunno:

An estimated 0.5% to 10% of individuals with ASD show unusual abilities, ranging from splinter skills such as the memorization of trivia to the extraordinarily rare talents of prodigious autistic savants.[38] Many individuals with ASD show superior skills in perception and attention, relative to the general population...

·
Registered
2,402 Posts

Maybe he finds it confusing to use the common vernacular :rolleyes: When in Rome, I say.

My vehicle doesn't have a boot, bonnet, indicators, or a windscreen unless I take it back to England. Here it has a trunk, hood, turn signal, and windshield. Yeah, I know the pickup doesn't have a trunk :p
A fortnight is two weeks. I use gas, not petrol. I don't have a rubber on my pencil, its an eraser (and an embarrassing mistake to make). I take the freeway, not the motorway. Drink in bars, not pubs. I don't use the word 'one' as a pronoun. I could go on, but I'm already boring the sh!t out of you.

Sure, I occasionally slip back in to my native tongue, but when I do I'm not a d!ck and post a link to the Oxford Dictionary.

Before becoming a US citizen, I was invited in to this country as a guest. I'll mind my manners, and treat my hosts with some respect. :cursin:

Except JC, he can kiss my Limey white ass...

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I'm a little tyred, and a little wyred....

·
Banned
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

We used the Oxford dictionary at my house, and I have always used the Queen's English and it was acceptable to American professors. Furthermore, foreign banks are averse to dealing with Americans, so I do business on my second passport; the last thing I want is someone getting the wrong idea. Generally, it is more effective to adapt consistently than to present an ad-hoc façade.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.