Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 toyota tundra double cab 4x4. I am looking to put a simple lift kit on. I bought a toytec 3" front and 1' rear kit. The kit details are: FRONT: 3" Lift Front Spacer Kit-- CNC-machined from 6061 T-6 Aluminum. 8 longer top plate spacer Bolts. Front Differential drop kit with skid plate spacers.. REAR: 1 " lift ToyTec Rear block kit with U bolts.
Will this kit cause suspension damage or ball joint damage. Les Schwab did not reccomend a spacer lift kit because it causes damage. Is that true? Is this a safe lift kit for my truck?

I dont do offroading, im just doing it for the look and so i can put a larger set of tires on.

Thanks
2013 Toyota Tundra Grade Double Cab 4.6L 4WD

·
"A Man Needs A Maid"
1,277 Posts
Welcome to the site! Many have a level kit as you describe, I have a different brand, same size. Use the search function on the top of the page.

Reactions: muzik

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Any modofication you do to the suspension will have the possibility of causing premature wear. By premature I mean 7 or more years down the road. Also there have been some steering rack premature failures with the spacers. If you don't offroad , Iwouldn't worry about too Much. You will need to install a transfer case drop .

·
Registered
219 Posts
The main reason I'm staying away from a 3" leveling kit is that to do it right you'll need to add UCA's. That along with the cost of the lift and install makes it better to buy a DB lift. ProComp makes a 4" lift that bolts on.
Your ride quality will be much better then a leveling kit.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
The main reason I'm staying away from a 3" leveling kit is that to do it right you'll need to add UCA's.
Sorry, but that is not at all the case. The only reason you would need UCA's is if you are unable to get alignment within specs. You will never have an issue getting an alignment with a 3" lift so if you throw UCA's on your 3" lift then the UCA's will be set to stock settings anyway and you will have wasted money on UCA's that you have no need for. UCA's generally are not needed until you reach 3.75" of lift and some have been able to go without them even with 4" of lift.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
There are 2 main designs of spacer kits for Toyota trucks and SUV’s. While no spacer is perfect, ToyTec Lifts has developed a kit that does not put suspension components as risk while still maintaining a factory like ride.

I know these pictures only have 3 studs on the coilovers (they are for a Tacoma) but bare with me.

Coil Spacers:
The coil spacer sits inside the coil/shock assembly and compresses the spring more than normal which creates lift. The advantage to this type of spacer is that it does not change the geometry of the factory setup. However, they can sometimes increase the stiffness of the suspension.

Large Top Plate Spacers:
Coilover shocks are the factory down travel limiter on Toyota Trucks and SUV’s. This means that the OEM shock will stop the downward motion of the suspension before component damage occurs. Parts that may be damaged from over-extension include: ball joints, CV axles, driveline or sway bar components. Toyota Engineers allowed a little leeway for a longer shock, typically about 1/2” to 3/4”. By installing a top plate spacer, you will be increasing the overall length of the coilover assembly by 1” to 2”. This will far exceed the limits of the suspension down travel and highly increase the likelihood of component damage. The most common issue you may notice is a loud “popping” or “banging” noise from the front end as the shock completely tops out. This noise is caused from either the ball joint binding or the upper A-arm contacting the coil spring or coil bucket. This is most noticeable when the vehicle encounters sharp suspension inputs such as a speed bump.

ToyTec’s Design:
ToyTec Lifts has come up with a spacer kit that takes full advantage of each type of spacer kit while at the same time minimizing the drawbacks from each system.
The ToyTec Spacer kit includes both the top plate spacer as well as a preload spacer. The reasoning behind this is that each spacer can share the work of lifting the vehicle while still maintaining factory geometry and ride quality. Since the top plate spacer is not more than ½ inch thick, it will not cause the ball joints and CV’s to overextend. At the same time, this takes the some of the work away from the preload spacer so therefore it can be made smaller which will reduce any negative effects on ride quality. Because of this, ToyTec feels that we have come up with a superior design that does not change the geometry of the factory suspension or degrade the ride quality.
All of our kits are CNC machined from solid T6061 aircraft grade aluminum that will last the life of the vehicle. We back all of our Toytec Lifts branded products with a lifetime warranty.

If you have any other questions feel free to give us a call.

Jeff

·
Registered
219 Posts
Sorry, but that is not at all the case. The only reason you would need UCA's is if you are unable to get alignment within specs. You will never have an issue getting an alignment with a 3" lift so if you throw UCA's on your 3" lift then the UCA's will be set to stock settings anyway and you will have wasted money on UCA's that you have no need for. UCA's generally are not needed until you reach 3.75" of lift and some have been able to go without them even with 4" of lift.
There's actually a huge difference between in spec. and ideal specs! I've done more R&D then I care to remember. But here's a thread on alignment.

UCA's and Alignment - Tacoma World Forums

There's doing a 3" lift. And Doing a 3" lift right! To do it right you need to get everything to it's ideal. Not just in spec.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Yeah, no offense but I think I will stick with Toyota's idea of "ideal" which would be there specs, you probably know more about aligning a Tundra than their engineers do but I will take my chances.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts