Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is Soy based wiring still an issue w/ rodents and such with new tundra's? Everything I've read said it was from 09'-16' that there is an issue, but I'm wonder if it says 16' because that's when the articles were written. Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
another attorney looking for a juicy case.all auto manufacturers have this very isolated issue.we're talking a few thousands cars at most over how many millions on the road?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
yeap,still a major issue as most if not all tundras are being munched on by rodents as i type this.
may i ask as to how you got this incredibly accurate information?
Through online research (articles, and court cases). My curiosity was sparked with one of my buddies who bought a brand new GMC Diesel, and rodents chewed the wiring all up. Now he zip ties a block of rat killer under the hood. On a brand new truck!! Come to find out all the manufactures, including the Toyota Tundra, have been greatly effected by this oversight it appears.

I just purchased a 17' Tundra and i'm hoping this has been resovled after all the drama.

another attorney looking for a juicy case.all auto manufacturers have this very isolated issue.we're talking a few thousands cars at most over how many millions on the road?
I think we are talking millions of vehicles (across all manufactures) are being effected. I hope it's more isolated then it appears though (at least with the tundra).

No news is good new on the 17s i guess!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Now he zip ties a block of rat killer under the hood.

That is good practice anyway. If they don't eat the wires, or insulation, or foam, plastic, etc. in the engine bay, they can and will squeeze in the fresh air intake and nest on the cabin filter whilst eating everything they can in the interior. This is especially true if you have kids prone to dropping an occasional piece of food or water in the cab. On my last car (12 highlander) I have to form some metal screening to block the gaps between the engine bay and fresh air intake area. I also put bait in there. I looked at my 2014 Tundra and that gap is there too, but a bit smaller. mice can still fit through though. look where the hood strut attaches to the body.

AW

·
Registered
327 Posts
That is good practice anyway. If they don't eat the wires, or insulation, or foam, plastic, etc. in the engine bay, they can and will squeeze in the fresh air intake and nest on the cabin filter whilst eating everything they can in the interior. This is especially true if you have kids prone to dropping an occasional piece of food or water in the cab. On my last car (12 highlander) I have to form some metal screening to block the gaps between the engine bay and fresh air intake area. I also put bait in there. I looked at my 2014 Tundra and that gap is there too, but a bit smaller. mice can still fit through though. look where the hood strut attaches to the body.

AW

I live in a rural area and the thought of soy based insulation terrifies me on these vehicles. There are so many electronics that it could easily turn into a nightmare once rodents begin too feast. I think this is excellent advice. What type or kind or brand of bait/poison do you recommend?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Just remember that most bait/ poison is designed to attract them. They may some damage before they take the bait.

Knock on wood I haven't had that issue but 10 cars out of the 150 that park at my work have had their cars eaten up by field rats. Those little turds have a 300 foot travel radius and they are smart. As for mice I've never had a run in with them.

Although I've never tried it on a vehicle but they make peanut butter scented glue boards that work great. One big advantage is they stick to them and you "dispose" of it. If you use poison there is a good chance that thing will crawl up somewhere and die and stink up the place for a while (hopefully not somewhere in a vehicle). That's just my $0.02 best of luck to you..

·
Registered
72 Posts
What type or kind or brand of bait/poison do you recommend?

I have been using Tomcat All Weather Bait Chunx both in bait stations around my house and in strategic places in the engine bay. The crazy part is that i have to refill the bait stations about every 3 months. It has seems to curb the population though. >:D

·
Registered
72 Posts
I agree on the attractant view. My primary defense is on the ground around my house, which seems to do a good job. The couple of last defense bait block I put in the engine bay haven't needed replacement. You definitely want to make sure you don't have an active rodent living in the vehicle when you put down bait. I put down sticky paper and traps and got the buggers before I baited. Haven't had anymore vehicle occupations in the last 2 years anyway.

·
Registered
53 Posts
This can be a major expensive issue for some people.

My brother-in-law has had the wiring harness eaten twice now on his 12 Tundra.

Its cost him $4k so far.

·
Registered
791 Posts
One of our V.P.'s had $10k (dealer quote) of damage done to his wife's Corolla, and it had been parked in their garage.

·
Registered
72 Posts
any car/truck.
the mice ate the foam backing on the engine cover in our '12 highlander and some kids toys in the interior. They have also eaten some insulation and foam in our Sprinter engine bay. Luckily, no wiring yet.
On a equally disgusting note... When we first moved into our house we had a rat in our shed over the winter that ate a huge pile of plastic kids toys, bags of fertilizer, wooden handles on tools, and some canvas bags. It was damn impressive. We used decon for that one, and it was almost half the size of a cat when the corpse was discovered in the spring. I've seen them a couple of times in the compost bin, but mainly they like to visit the neighbors chicken coop. I haven't seen one in the vehicles yet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My Last Toyota

My 1794 crewmax is my 7th Toyota and will be my last. Mice have infiltrated the cabin on a daily basis. Finally a local mechanic showed me how cheap Toyota has become. The mice are entering and leaving the cabin at will through the fresh air vent just above the cabin filter. There is no screen at all, IS TOYOTA KIDDING ME? The cabin filter is eaten up. I have multiple mouse traps all over the vehicle. A total disgrace for a $58k vehicle and Toyota takes no responsibility. As I said, my last Toyota. I just traded my wife’s Highlander and this piece of crap is next. I’ll try and post some pics of the temporary fix until I junk it.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
No need to squeeze. The vent is wide open. Just under the shroud that covers the wiper assembly, right above the cabin filter. Is TOYOTA KIDDING? Check my post. I have pics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Through online research (articles, and court cases). My curiosity was sparked with one of my buddies who bought a brand new GMC Diesel, and rodents chewed the wiring all up. Now he zip ties a block of rat killer under the hood. On a brand new truck!! Come to find out all the manufactures, including the Toyota Tundra, have been greatly effected by this oversight it appears.

I just purchased a 17' Tundra and i'm hoping this has been resovled after all the drama.

I think we are talking millions of vehicles (across all manufactures) are being effected. I hope it's more isolated then it appears though (at least with the tundra).

No news is good new on the 17s i guess!!
I have a 2019 tundra platinum and just had to pay 350 for this issue. I’m going to promptly get rid of it. Not dealing with that anymore. Apparently I was lucky it only cost 350. The guy at Toyota service said he has seen this issue cost over 6000 to repair because of the soy based wiring.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Is it indeed "soy based insulation " ? or an internet myth . Is there verification of this Soy ?

Yes damage can occur , the wires are very small ( in comparison to older cars) due to electronics and LED's ect ect . I think some of the issues are because of the very small gauge wire .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is it indeed "soy based insulation " ? or an internet myth . Is there verification of this Soy ?

Yes damage can occur , the wires are very small ( in comparison to older cars) due to electronics and LED's ect ect . I think some of the issues are because of the very small gauge wire .
It is indeed soy based insulation. There are multiple class action lawsuits against a number of manufacturers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts