Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally got all of my sound system done to my liking and thought id share my experience. I bought the Advent OTOTUN1 from Walt at ADC mobile for $925 and the customer service from him is unbelievable highly recommend. I bought this headunit because it looks and fits factory. I also got the Pioneer TS-SWX251 shallow mount sub from Amazon for around $115. For the amp I called Crutchfield and they recommended the Sound Ordance M-1350 mono sub amp and was $110. I ran a 8AWG wire harness for the amp which cost $40 from a local sound store.

Install on the sub, amp, and wiring for them was remotely easy considering Ive never done a sound system on a vehicle before. Now for the Advent headunit. The unit is plug and play but god dam there is a ton of wires you end up jamming in the dash to make it all work. I wrapped all the harnesses in weather stripping and tape to avoid rattles. ADC mobile also designed a way to get your factory camera to work through the Advent using a relay and tapping into wires in the headliner. And running a RCA cable down the pillar and into the headunit. Was kind of nerve racking but definitly worth it.

The functionality and performance of the unit is unbelievable compared to the stock junk. Sound quality was definitly noticeable and the truck actually has bass now (who wouldve thought). The sub gives a nice added beat but dont be expecting to blow out windows with it. Im still real new to the whole setup so fine tuning is in the works but would highly recommend this setup to anyone.

· Premium Member
554 Posts
Ah cool, yeah mine didn't come like that but I want to change it. I need to read the whole manual too to see how to bypass the DVD playback, something about a hidden menu?

· Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea Hit settings then next. At the top hold the settings button for about 15 seconds until the page changes. Then there's a parking brake override button to turn it on or off. It resets every time you turn off the truck but how often are we watching DVDs goin down the road

· Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is that the factory rear view? Do you still have the instructions on how to wire your unit up to it. Looks great, I want to do the same thing with mine.
Yup its the factory camera. I got the instructions from adcmobiles website. Call Walt and see if he can help you out with guidance on the install. The picture quality is ok. Plus blowing up a 2x3 video screen to 6x5ish on the headunit the picture quality is ok but not HD. I think I'm getting slight interfearance with the video feed going through the relay. But for the money it cost for a relay and RCA cable it was worth doing.

· Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There's a password you need to access it. I don't want to just give it out considering its their design. Call Walt and ask him guy is cool as shit and is always more then happy to help people out.

· Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The sub I got off of amazon. As for issues I am having one. When I play pandora through my phone when I'm using the navigation system it brings up an error and needs to reboot. It only happens when those two things are happening at the same time. I called Walt at adc mobile about it and he told me its a apple software issue and not an advent issue. So until apple fixes the software on the phone those two things don't work in harmony. Besides that I have no regrets sound quality is 100 percent better and IMO most people would probably be happy with just replacing the headunit and not even doing the sub. It's got plenty of bass without it now but the sub definitely does help.

· Premium Member
29 Posts
I installed this ototun1 unit earlier this week. install was very easy, i ran the mic up the drivers side pillar, but with out removing the pillar i just ran it behind the dash then tucked into the weather stripping all the way up to the end of the plastic pillar cover then clipped the mic right there. works very well. gps works well too except everytime restart the truck it comes up in night time mode no matter what setting i have set which is weird.

and i ran the ipod cable into the center console and plugged my ipod classic into it out of sight. it plays music well but very laggy when i try to skip a song. i can hit the skip button on the steering wheel and 2 seconds later the song will skip. if i hit skip before the cover art shows up sometimes it wont acknowledge i tried to skip the track at all. so i am not 100 percent pleased with it. and i don't like that i have to go into bluetooth manually to connect my phone each time by pressing the ad2 something or other button. the factory radio had the bluetooth audio player as an audio source soon as i started the truck. knowing all this i would probably not have bought it. But I may stick with it for a bit until i find a better option. The nav in my dads limited tundra with the jbl works great. If that factory nav was plug and play in my non jbl i would buy one in a heart beat.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My iPhone 5 syncs automatically when I get in and start my truck. But I need to plug the phone into the USB to be able to play music. Walt at adc said that you can stream wirelessly through Bluetooth but mine ain't givin me the option. Maybe I synced it wrong but I've been to busy to care lol

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.