Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
You take a nice Tundra with lotsa chrome, and customize it by making it look like a base model by covering all the sweet chrome with black plastic? Is it that you hate chrome, or you hate that the other guy has chrome too and you have to be different?
Really, I trying to get it.

Amen brother.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looks like @Azblue has found his brethren

Sorry, I'm no advocating for chrome. If you hate chrome enough to cover it with plastic, that's cool for you. I'm just not sure why you wouldn't just buy the truck without the chrome to begin with. A factory black grill has to be better than a Pep Boys spray can paint job on a $40k+ truck. But again. I'm just wondering why the affinity for the chrome to begin with?

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
Hammer to fit and paint to suit.

That's what the folks said back in the olden days when I was a sheet metal factory worker.

·
He Has Risen!
6,318 Posts
I don't get why someone would shift an automatic transmission into neutral at stop lights.
Not sure about that, but I will shift into neutral while coming to a stop on super slick/icy roads.
The truck stops quicker with no input to the wheels.
If you're talking about sitting at a light, not sure.
I thought I heard that's actually bad for an auto trans.

·
He Has Risen!
6,318 Posts
Hey, if it wasn't for stupid people, every company that fixes problems and sells products to fix problems would be out of business.

·
Chief of Grammar Police
2,493 Posts
Sorry, I'm no advocating for chrome. If you hate chrome enough to cover it with plastic, that's cool for you. I'm just not sure why you wouldn't just buy the truck without the chrome to begin with. A factory black grill has to be better than a Pep Boys spray can paint job on a $40k+ truck. But again. I'm just wondering why the affinity for the chrome to begin with?
It's not about the plastic, the black or the chrome, it is the propellant in the cans. That is the absolutely best high on the planet.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Same reason some guys buy Ford, Chevy, Dodge or lower / raise the truck. Just do it right stop the rattle cans and dips. My dealer has chrome and black parts laying around because someone would not buy the truck until they changed it. We all like different looks on our trucks. I don't see why Toyota would color match the rear bumper and chrome the front?

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
You take a nice Tundra with lotsa chrome, and customize it by making it look like a base model by covering all the sweet chrome with black plastic? Is it that you hate chrome, or you hate that the other guy has chrome too and you have to be different?
Really, I'm honestly trying to get it.
Probably just want to make it the way they would have, if custom ordering was an option (options found in higher trims, but less chrome) for $5 a can :dunno:

I have to admit, I Plastidip'd my wheels at one point and my grille.

Pyrite wasn't a common color for finding a pre-painted surround and buying a none chrome one and having it painted locally way was $$$.
The grille was an absolute PITA to get off when it thinned out and I decided to remove it, rather than redo it.

Now that I'm 8 years older and in a different financial situation, I would either pay for painted replacements or leave it stock.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I just don't like the looks of chrome for myself. But I also ordered a truck with only chrome door handles and mirror caps, and swapped them with appropriate color matched oem parts.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts