Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 1794, recent left rear bumper encounter with stationary object. Had to replace left metal reinforcement support and bumper plastic end cap. Drove truck while waiting for parts. No sonar issues. Received parts, transferred object sensor (box which mounts on reinforcement) and left rear sensor to end cap. Now I'm greeted with following message at startup, "CHECK SONAR SYSTEM, SEE DEALER, with 2 sensor positions (left rear and ctr rear) highlighted.

After a few seconds the display changes to all 5 sensors highlighted with same message.

Hooked up techstream and got U0232 trouble code:

Ran utility with following result:

Following test resulted in BSM outside mirror indicator on right side only, no indicator on left.

Can anyone help me translate this? Do I need to replace the left rear and center rear sensors? I had to remove both of them to replace the left bumper end and reinforcement, the center rear because the bumper cover had to come off to access mounting bolts.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Followup, for folks that have BSM and parking assist...

Unable to clear the trouble code with V9.30 techstream, so took it to dealer. There were 2 issues, BSM and parking sensors. The BSM, once unplugged, apparently has to be reset to enable communication between the 2 modules. This was the trouble code noted above. So for bumper repairs, do not unplug the BSM module if possible. Although I should add, even with the trouble code, the BSM was functioning on both sides.

The first pic above shows 2 parking sensors and dealer confirmed both were bad by swapping with good ones. Oddly, no trouble code appeared on my techstream for this. These were the 2 disconnected for the bumper repair. They tried to calibrate but could not, so they had to be replaced, at about $250/per! Plus they remove the rear bumper for replacement (couple hours labor = $$$). Then test and calibrate. Again, for bumper repairs, try not to unplug these sensors if possible.

The service manager handling my case was fairly fluent in the parking sensor domain. So I probed him a bit. Looking on ebay, I see these Denso sensors for $50/pair. Given the dealer cost for these, it would be cost effective to buy the sensor cheap, DIY replace it, and see if that clears the error display. I asked him this directly. He said that's what he would do. If error doesn't clear, then likely a matter of calibration, at significant less cost.

An expensive lesson....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.