Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a buddy was asking if my tires rub. as I went to show him exactly where they rub on the passenger side there was only a very small mark. I never checked that side but new I rubbed on the driver side. so we looked at that and could obviously see how bad it was. so I did a measurement from the corner of the bumper to center of the tire. driver side is a half inch closer. the truck tracks straight, no complaints about alignment. height is even on both sides. guess the bumper is crooked. Anyone else notice this?

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Torque wants to pull the axle to the driver side under load. It's offset on purpose for this reason.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Ok here goes Azblue's stupid question of the day: Why? Is it a different offset to clear some thing?
No freaking clue but they are. Most don't notice until it's pointed out but once you put on larger tires and wheels that stick out it is very noticeable.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
That wouldn't explain why the tire is offset. The diff is offset on many vehicles, look at older solid front axle 4x4s.:confused:
The diff is offset and the axles are the same length. What are you confused about? Go measure it if you don't believe me.

·
Free Tire Finalist
4,610 Posts
The diff is offset and the axles are the same length. What are you confused about? Go measure it if you don't believe me.
Not that I don't believe you, I've never even noticed the offset on my truck. It's just that the video mentioned the diff, nothing about the axles. It's common for left and right axle shafts to be diferent length. If they are the same on Tundras, with the offset diff, it would make the tires stick out diferently. Just odd.:)

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Same way on the Tacoma, Ford, Chevy last I researched. It's a small offset but it's there. My understanding is the torque from the driveline causes the rear axle to want to go left under load. The slight offset results in a centered driveline under pressure I believe. I think I would prefer it centered at idle with a slight offset left under load but I didn't design it.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's more of a front to back measurement not a sticking out problem. I guess the torque explanation makes since, kinda like a pre load.

·
Free Tire Finalist
4,610 Posts
Same way on the Tacoma, Ford, Chevy last I researched. It's a small offset but it's there. My understanding is the torque from the driveline causes the rear axle to want to go left under load. The slight offset results in a centered driveline under pressure I believe. I think I would prefer it centered at idle with a slight offset left under load but I didn't design it.
Well. I guess you really do learn some thing new every day.:beerchug:

·
Registered
295 Posts
a buddy was asking if my tires rub. as I went to show him exactly where they rub on the passenger side there was only a very small mark. I never checked that side but new I rubbed on the driver side. so we looked at that and could obviously see how bad it was. so I did a measurement from the corner of the bumper to center of the tire. driver side is a half inch closer. the truck tracks straight, no complaints about alignment. height is even on both sides. guess the bumper is crooked. Anyone else notice this?
You are correct if you measure the bumper they have a slight angle to them. This is by measuring the uniformity of the bumper against the car, not the tires. You can see that the bumper is indeed not straight.

les schwab put spacers on my left side bumper to straighten the bumper up. This helped with my rubbing issue on the drivers side.

·
Registered
295 Posts
We are talking about your front tires, right?

Caster.

Probably why some people rub worse than others, in different places, with the same set-up. One guy might have more caster, the other guy might have less :dunno:
Yes, this is true. However crooked bumpers are also true on 2014.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well didn't see that coming! WHILE WE'RE ON THE SUBJECT OF IMPERFECTIONS... anyone noticed there hood not having the same gap on both sides? Mine has a little more of a gap on once side then the other.. Didn't notice it till a friend pointed it out to me months after I got the truck.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
My trunk on my car is a little more to the left than the right - been like that since '06 and hasn't caused any problems yet! :).

We live in an imperfect world. No matter how perfect we'd like things to be - they simply aren't.

If you take out your micrometer I'm sure you'll find all kinds of things that aren't perfect :).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ill offer this, hearing it before and finding truth in it years ago...

Most cars have a slight offset built in which can be checked if you measure center front wheel to center back wheel, it helps keep the car straight when driving and you take your hands off the wheel. No joke, check it out. Ever notice that one full lock turn is a little tighter of a radius than the opposite side full lock turn? Try it, same reason.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
my 14 front bumper left and right sides did not look uniform from factory. my tacoma was perfect every where. quality in the tundra fit and finish is not the same as my other toyotas. still love the truck but it definitely is a north american truck.

Reactions: Turttle

·
Registered
361 Posts
All I half to say is Ive noticed and knock it off I don't want to find any thing else lol.I did not notice the tire difference though.Not on my Tacoma either.Something tells me that maybe a possible alignment issue.Off setting the axle does not solve any torque pull issues its the cause of it?I may be wrong but normally offset axles are set up for oval flat track racing.
Ass far as the offset bumper the tundras frames are designed to flex and flex real easy.Its possible that is whats cousing it.Some have bed bounce but if you look under there it does not look like a heavy duty frame.My titan was fully boxed it was solid and road and felt nice with no body roll.My Tacoma was also boxed.You could winch that thing out barried to the frame from an angle and it would not hurt the frame.I just figured the tundra would be boxed as well but no.To be honest its not my favorite purchase after owning it a while.The new ones look really sharp.Way better looking than the new fords.After color matching that big grill any way.Your truck is nice.

Reactions: TundraTigger
1 - 20 of 23 Posts