Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy....new to this forum. And the reason is......one of these days I believe I will own a Tundra.

In the meantime, I couldn't be more disgusted with this 1999 Ram 1500 2wd, with 80k miles. In the last 7k miles I've lost my water pump, tensioner, ball joints, heater, and temperature control. My dash is falling apart, sometimes the truck just decides to not fire, for reasons I can't track down. And my trans and A/C are making sounds I don't like. Over at the Dodge forum they said, "Yep, welcome to the world of Dodge". Nice.

How did I end up with the Dodge? I drove a Tacoma to 183k and most everything was original, except for the usual replacement stuff. But I began to need a hauler, so I sold the Tacoma with regret. This Dodge came along with only 73k on it, and I thought......"certainly I can get 50k out of this before anything major". Ooops.

Dodge is made to fall apart. Now I have to get back to a Toyota and the Tundra is what I need.

But my budget only allows older vehicles, so here are some questions:

-if I buy a 2003 Tundra with 110k on it, can I expect the kind of reliability/longevity that usually applies to Toyota, such as what I had with my Tacoma?

-what things tend to go between 100-200k? Is this a 200k motor?

-a radio host once described the Tundra as a "1 ton disguised as a 1/2 ton", meaning they are overbuilt. Is this correct? Can they haul the occasional 2000lbs?

I won't ask anymore right now because the post will get long.

Thanks for any feedback you can help with.

A miserable Dodge Ram owner.......:(

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
-if I buy a 2003 Tundra with 110k on it, can I expect the kind of reliability/longevity that usually applies to Toyota, such as what I had with my Tacoma?
Probably, but there are no guarantees, every truck is different. There are certainly quite a few people in this forum with older Tundras and high miles who seem to be doing great.

-what things tend to go between 100-200k? Is this a 200k motor?
Make sure the water pump has been replaced. My buddy just sold his 2000 Tundra with 210K on it, never had any issues.

-a radio host once described the Tundra as a "1 ton disguised as a 1/2 ton", meaning they are overbuilt. Is this correct? Can they haul the occasional 2000lbs?
That guy was talking about the newer Tundra's with the 5.7, I would not say like a 1 ton but they are much like a 3/4 ton and yes, I know people on this forum have loaded over 2K in the bed.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have an 03 have had it for a little over a year, really happy with it. Before that i had an 06 f150 my dad gave me and i wrecked it and with the insurance money got my tundra. That said i like the tundra better than the f150. F150 had 60k on it and te trans was going out and it would decide to not start up sometimes also, this tundra just hit 99k no problems other than squeeky belt when its cold (changeing that soon) max ive hauled with it was atleast 700lb of stone for the house. Felt fine, didt even notice it was back there when i was driving really

·
Banned
5,396 Posts
Well i have an 07 5.7 dc with 190k miles on it, only thimg i replaced is the alt n starter. Also usual maintenance n run synthetic. I luv this truck, will never buy any other truck cause Toyota lives up to its name with the tundras. It still drives like new also. F**k a dodge!!!!! I eat hemi's for breakfast

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good stuff. Sounds like a Toyota is still a Toyota. It really burns me that I have to go foreign to get a reliable vehicle. I wish I could buy American, but I've owned plenty, and the American vehicles, for me, have not held up. That's sad.

I've read on other threads that there is a certain mileage by which the timing belt/chain must be changed. What mileage is that?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bought my 2004 Tundra 4x4 with the V8 motor with 63k on it 4 yeras ago and traded it in with 126k. Only replaced the battery once, a new set of tires, and the front brake pads. Besides that, the truck ran flawlessly and I'd of never traded it in except the access cab was starting to be a problem for rear passengers on long trips. If it was a double cab, I'd of still kept it.

I know the earlier years tundra had vibrating brakes and either fixed it in 03 or 04+. Might want to look into that as it can be annoying and dam scary when braking downhill.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Good stuff. Sounds like a Toyota is still a Toyota. It really burns me that I have to go foreign to get a reliable vehicle. I wish I could buy American, but I've owned plenty, and the American vehicles, for me, have not held up. That's sad.
The Tundra may have a jap make behind it but only around 15% of the parts are from jap (about the same as an f150 an "American" truck) and the trans and engines are made here and it's all thrown together in good 'old Texas. The tundra is just as american made as any other truck.

Reactions: TundraTigger

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
The Tundra may have a jap make behind it but only around 15% of the parts are from jap (about the same as an f150 an "American" truck) and the trans and engines are made here and it's all thrown together in good 'old Texas. The tundra is just as american made as any other truck.
I would say more American then the big 3 half ton pickups. Ford, dodge, and Chevy trucks are not built in the United States. It is really fun to let ford guy in on the dirty little secret.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts

I've read on other threads that there is a certain mileage by which the timing belt/chain must be changed. What mileage is that?
Since 07 the Tundra has been made of 80% american made parts. It wasn't till this new model of the F-150 that now has 80% american made parts in it. Before they were at 70% Dodge has the low of 55% while GM has 65%. When you say foreign do you consider Mexico foreign? Well that's where sub assembly of F-150 is done. The only vehicles Toyota makes that's totally Japan is the Prius and Prius Hybrids. Manufactures have to put that label on the vehicle how much american it is. Look for it. With 155,890 miles I can still smoke 'em.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Looks like all your other questions were answered, so I'll just volunteer to shoot your truck. Do you have a preference on caliber? :)

Reactions: dirtydeeds

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
By foreign I meant a brand other than the Big 3, regardless of where it's actually made. I'd like to be able to say my Big 3 truck is the best around, but it isn't.

Wherever Toyota is built, they clearly do things with a top-down, corporate intention of producing a vehicle that lasts. So in my mind it's the Big 3 that choose not to make a Toyota-competitive vehicle. They could, I'm sure, but they purposely don't.

So it's back to Toyota for me.

BTW.....there's a Nigerian scam on CL right now advertising a 2003 Tundra for $2500 in excellent condition. Wire the money to Kansas and they'll deliver the truck. I'm sending the money today!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Wherever Toyota is built, they clearly do things with a top-down, corporate intention of producing a vehicle that lasts. So in my mind it's the Big 3 that choose not to make a Toyota-competitive vehicle. They could, I'm sure, but they purposely don't.
!
Yes, they purposely don't because they are greedy immoral corporate fat cats who only want to maximize profits. The work ethics has unfortunately taken a hit when it comes to American Manufacturers. The Japanese have pretty much stayed the same, right from Sony to Toyotas to Hondas.. they put a large amount of stake into reputation and the culture over there is based on shame and what society thinks about you.

americans have the lost the way IMO. It's disgusting to know that the big 3 use mostly foreign made parts to build a truck in a foreign country and yet get to call it "American".

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
07+ are half tons desguised as 1 tons. Anything earlier than that is a bit small to be called a half ton truck. I'm sure ill catch flack for that but that's how I see them. My stepdads old 06 was incredibly tiny compared to my 2010, he upgraded to an 11 2 months after I bought my truck and he doesn't seem to regret it one bit. The older ones are very reliable though and even though they are a bit underpowered and small they do make for good trucks. My uncle has an 03 double cab and its on 230k now. He uses it to haul stuff from his old house in Oklahoma to hot springs in Arkansas and that's not exactly a short drive. I think it's about 6 hours from door to door, he lives that truck and I don't see him buying a new one anytime soon

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
don't hesitate to look at an 07-08 model either,sometimes you can find a really good deal on one that isn't that much more expensive than a first gen tundra.

·
Registered
85 Posts
if you look at 07-10 tundra be aware of the 2nd air pump valves going out...

they are warrantied to 150000 miles..but after that you're paying 2-3 grand every 2-3 years.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
if you look at 07-10 tundra be aware of the 2nd air pump valves going out...

they are warrantied to 150000 miles..but after that you're paying 2-3 grand every 2-3 years.
Lol going throw that right now!!! I had two vales going out. Plus they replace the pumps also the circuit board that runs all that had a short in it so they have to replace that two. All i have to pay is $50.00 lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 28 Posts