Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my wheels are 7-8 months old. I'm standing in my driveway having a smoke and i noice that the Arizona sun has turned all the center cap inserts(once a clear silicone type substance) an awful yellow color. The passenger rear was flapping in the wind, holding on by some force of physics I am not sure of... The others are firmly in place and need to go. Are the chrome plastic center caps delicate? Trying to decide on how to remove not only the yellowed pieces, but the paint? Or vinyl? "Xd series" logos. Thanks fellas

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
Are you sure that's not just a protective plastic cover that's supposed to be removed after you install them just like on a lot of new TV's and stuff come with?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you sure that's not just a protective plastic cover that's supposed to be removed after you install them just like on a lot of new TV's and stuff come with?
Yeah I'm sure. It's pretty thick, and tapered on the edges for a finished look. The one fell off by itself, but the others are really on there! I'm going to try to get it chrome, but if I mess it up I don't mind that plasti dipped one. I hate emblems anyway. The only one on my truck other than the "T" on the grill is the tiny "Toyota" on the tailgate. I might end up taking that one off too...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Ive got the same rims, and They look way more aggressive without those plastic hubcaps, lose 'em!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yeah I'm sure. It's pretty thick, and tapered on the edges for a finished look. The one fell off by itself, but the others are really on there!
Just checked mine and they don't have plastic covers. Maybe it depends on which XD wheel it is. Here is what mine look like.

Attachments

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I got the sun faded clear parts off today after work. The front one peeled part of the "XD" off behind it, so it appears that the "XD" logos are very thin vinyl stickers that are really hard to peel off. These stickers are on top of embossed lettering on the center cap. So after I get them off, it'll be nice and chrome, with a very subtle chrome "XD SERIES". I'm stoked.

I have to work tomorrow, but maybe Sunday ill get it done. I'll snap a pic or two for anyone that's curious of the finished look. Thanks

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
I had a medium thickness plastic on mine... Mine came from DTD without the caps mounted, when I mounted the wheels on my truck I installed the center caps...
THEN I installed the logo/decal into the middle... THEN I peeled the medium thickness coating off as it wasn't supposed to be there...
The coating came off in a complete circle exposing the center cap/sticker...

It is likely that was supposed to be peeled off when installed and the company you bought from didn't know. As they baked into the actual center decal they adhered to the lettering... That sucks.

They would likely send you new center decals if you call and bitch nicely.

Reactions: [email protected]@

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had a medium thickness plastic on mine... Mine came from DTD without the caps mounted, when I mounted the wheels on my truck I installed the center caps...
THEN I installed the logo/decal into the middle... THEN I peeled the medium thickness coating off as it wasn't supposed to be there...
The coating came off in a complete circle exposing the center cap/sticker...

It is likely that was supposed to be peeled off when installed and the company you bought from didn't know. As they baked into the actual center decal they adhered to the lettering... That sucks.

They would likely send you new center decals if you call and bitch nicely.
You know, that sounds reasonable. I didn't understand why they were on there, but they looked like a finish piece. I never even noticed them until they started turning yellow. All of a sudden my new wheels looked super ghetto.

I don't want new decals, I'm just not a sticker/emblem/advertisement guy.
I like my chrome shiny, my vehicles debadged & clean, and my tits gigantic. Call me old school I guess. :)

·
Registered
408 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts