Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about swapping some speakers in my truck and installing an amp and what not. Truck is a 2013 DoubleCab. Currently have an aftermarket head unit (NEX4200) but stock everything else. Of course there's a million options out there, and it's all personal preference, but what are y'all liking for a decent but not too expensive setup in these trucks? Replace all 4 with decent speakers? Replace just the front speakers with better than decent and ditch the back? etc. I'd like to get a sub or two in there as well but I really haven't seen many solid options for the DoubleCabs that are even remotely in my price range. The JL prefab setup would be nice but it's just too expensive.

Just really kicking tires right now but wanted to see what y'all thought.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Rears are pretty much fill.
First try replacing the front and see how that goes.

I have a JL twin 10" stealthbox so I can't help you there..

Reactions: Powertechn2

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Want to kick tires, do a search of the hundreds of threads that already exist on the subject. Sounds like you may be just wanting to fix a problem that doesn't exist.
Sound deadening may be where you want to go first then think speakers. Hope you don't want to use the rear floor of your truck to carry stuff. I have a double sub box sitting in the garage as the floor is more important than boom.
I too have stock speakers with a nav HU and am happy with it.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Want to kick tires, do a search of the hundreds of threads that already exist on the subject. Sounds like you may be just wanting to fix a problem that doesn't exist.
Sound deadening may be where you want to go first then think speakers. Hope you don't want to use the rear floor of your truck to carry stuff. I have a double sub box sitting in the garage as the floor is more important than boom.
I too have stock speakers with a nav HU and am happy with it.
I mentioned nothing about having any problems anywhere and I went back about 15 pages and saw nothing pertaining to my exact question so figured I'd get newer a discussion going. It's great that you have stock speakers and are happy, obviously this thread does not apply to you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’m getting ready to swap out my head unit once all the parts arrive, and depending on how things sound with the new head unit, speakers would be next. I’m really liking the idea of just trying the fronts first! Thanks:D

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m getting ready to swap out my head unit once all the parts arrive, and depending on how things sound with the new head unit, speakers would be next. I’m really liking the idea of just trying the fronts first! Thanks:D
Exactly what I did on my Tacoma so was figuring the same on the Tundra. Spent a little more on a nicer set of fronts rather than less on 4 total speakers. Couldn't even tell the back weren't done.

·
Registered
14,225 Posts
If you already have a new HU, just get a 5 channel amp, do everything.

Buy once, cry once.

Sub amp and all 4 channels built into one.

Mat everything.

Do components up front.

coaxials rear.

Sub/box.

Done.

Reactions: 1lowlife

·
Registered
244 Posts
After having spent a ton of money on high end builds in the past, I decided to try something different this go around. This build doesn't sound like Focal's with with Audison amps/processors, but it doesn't come with that price tag either. It does sound pretty damn good for the money I spent on it though. My goal for this build was to only spend a few hundred on speakers and re-use other stuff I had just laying around in my garage. I actually spent more in wiring and sound deadener than I did on the speakers.

I started by leaving the stock head unit in. The brains of my system is a basic JBL MS-8. Many people complain about the MS-8, but, it sounds very good if you know how to work out its quirks. Unfortunately, this item is no longer manufactured.

In the dash I am running 3 Dayton Audio Reference Series 3-inch full range raw speaker drivers directly off the amp in the MS-8.

I completely sealed the front doors (covered the big holes with sheet metal covered in sound deadener) and replaced the door speakers with a JL Audio C1-650 component set. I made custom speaker baffles so that I could place both the woofer and tweeter in the same location low in the door. This set is run off the front 2 channels of my 5 channel amp.

In the rear doors I ran another set of JL Audio C1-650 components in the stock locations off the rear channels of my amp.

I currently have a single JL Audio (I am a JL fan if you haven't figured it out yet) 8v3 off the sub channel (~250w at 4-ohms) of my 5 channel amp. Sadly, or maybe not sadly depending upon how you look at it, because of how well I sealed my front doors, the bass from my front doors is just as loud as my single 8w3 in a custom box. I usually just turn the bass control knob all the way down because I can't hear the sub anyway.

Other than the wimpy performance from my single 8w3, I am pleasantly surprised at how well this budget system turned out. It is much better than I had expected and is light years beyond the crappy stock system. Hopefully in the not-too-distant future, I'll be upgrading my subwoofer; but, I have a couple other projects that need to be done first.

Here are some links to the speakers and amp (except the JL 8w3) if you are interested in any of these items:

JL Audio C1-650 -- JL Audio C1-650 - Component Systems

Dayton Audio RS75-4 3" Reference Full-Range Driver 4 Ohm -- https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rs75-4-3-reference-full-range-driver-4-ohm--295-380

NVX JAD900.5
-- https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_40253_NVX-JAD900.5.html

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After having spent a ton of money on high end builds in the past, I decided to try something different this go around. This build doesn't sound like Focal's with with Audison amps/processors, but it doesn't come with that price tag either. It does sound pretty damn good for the money I spent on it though. My goal for this build was to only spend a few hundred on speakers and re-use other stuff I had just laying around in my garage. I actually spent more in wiring and sound deadener than I did on the speakers.

I started by leaving the stock head unit in. The brains of my system is a basic JBL MS-8. Many people complain about the MS-8, but, it sounds very good if you know how to work out its quirks. Unfortunately, this item is no longer manufactured.

In the dash I am running 3 Dayton Audio Reference Series 3-inch full range raw speaker drivers directly off the amp in the MS-8.

I completely sealed the front doors (covered the big holes with sheet metal covered in sound deadener) and replaced the door speakers with a JL Audio C1-650 component set. I made custom speaker baffles so that I could place both the woofer and tweeter in the same location low in the door. This set is run off the front 2 channels of my 5 channel amp.

In the rear doors I ran another set of JL Audio C1-650 components in the stock locations off the rear channels of my amp.

I currently have a single JL Audio (I am a JL fan if you haven't figured it out yet) 8v3 off the sub channel (~250w at 4-ohms) of my 5 channel amp. Sadly, or maybe not sadly depending upon how you look at it, because of how well I sealed my front doors, the bass from my front doors is just as loud as my single 8w3 in a custom box. I usually just turn the bass control knob all the way down because I can't hear the sub anyway.

Other than the wimpy performance from my single 8w3, I am pleasantly surprised at how well this budget system turned out. It is much better than I had expected and is light years beyond the crappy stock system. Hopefully in the not-too-distant future, I'll be upgrading my subwoofer; but, I have a couple other projects that need to be done first.

Here are some links to the speakers and amp (except the JL 8w3) if you are interested in any of these items:

JL Audio C1-650 -- JL Audio C1-650 - Component Systems

Dayton Audio RS75-4 3" Reference Full-Range Driver 4 Ohm -- https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rs75-4-3-reference-full-range-driver-4-ohm--295-380

NVX JAD900.5
-- https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_40253_NVX-JAD900.5.html
Great info. Thank you.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
When I first did my setup I swapped the headunit and added a 5 channel amp powering the stock speakers. With some adjustments the oem speakers sounded way better than before and actually sufficed for some time. If you’ve seen the stock speakers then there’s no way you’d believe me but I was surprised as well Lol. Since then I’ve been through 3 different setups and my last I basically went ham. If you’re the type to always want better than I’d just suggest you go all out the first time around. If I did that, I would have saved a lot of money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
As for speakers I’ve always been fond of the hertz offerings. They sound best to my ear. I’m running the Mille pro 6.5’s with focal Kevlar tweeters and mids.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As for speakers I’ve always been fond of the hertz offerings. They sound best to my ear. I’m running the Mille pro 6.5’s with focal Kevlar tweeters and mids.

I was quoted just over 200 for a set of the ESK 165.5 with custom adaptors. A local shop has quoted me 400 for a set of the Mille Components. Unfortunately, the local shop did not have the ESK's working in their display. I was able to hear a huge difference between the Dieci and the Hi Energy, but a barely noticable difference between the Hi Energies and the Mille. Do you think there is a huge difference in sound between the ESKs and the Mille to justify the price difference?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was quoted just over 200 for a set of the ESK 165.5 with custom adaptors. A local shop has quoted me 400 for a set of the Mille Components. Unfortunately, the local shop did not have the ESK's working in their display. I was able to hear a huge difference between the Dieci and the Hi Energy, but a barely noticable difference between the Hi Energies and the Mille. Do you think there is a huge difference in sound between the ESKs and the Mille to justify the price difference?
What did you end up doing?

·
Premium Member
4,848 Posts
I have focal and like them

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
I have focal and like them
I think @Breathing Borla has 3 way components in his truck.

I have Focal PS165 FX 2 way components in my front doors and Focal Access 165 AC coaxial in the rear doors.

https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/...s/performance/expert/component-kits/ps-165-fx

https://www.focal.com/en/us/car-audio-kits-solutions/access/165-ac

Very happy with them.
The PS 165 FX provide a great front stage image.
So good I disconnected all 3 dash speakers.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think @Breathing Borla has 3 way components in his truck.

I have Focal PS165 FX 2 way components in my front doors and Focal Access 165 AC coaxial in the rear doors.

https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/...s/performance/expert/component-kits/ps-165-fx

https://www.focal.com/en/us/car-audio-kits-solutions/access/165-ac

Very happy with them.
The PS 165 FX provide a great front stage image.
So good I disconnected all 3 dash speakers.
What would you think of the Access all around? Obviously a step down from your setup but would save quite a bit of money and obviously a step up from stock.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
What would you think of the Access all around? Obviously a step down from your setup but would save quite a bit of money and obviously a step up from stock.

They sound fine to me..

Reactions: nags
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.