Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year apart, I had 2 separate & very annoying "plastic-on-plastic" squeaks develop in my 2018 Crewmax, and both turned out to have the same and unexpected root cause.

#1 Couple months after I bought the Tundra in mid-2018, I installed a grab handle on the driver side A-pillar. That required replacing the old A-pillar trim piece, and installing a new handle.
Shortly after, I started getting "plastic-y" squeak noises from the vicinity of the A-pillar, even on smooth roads. Noise varied according to the temperature.
Of course I thought it must have been the last thing I touched, so I drove around with & without A-pillar trim, pressing & pushing various parts of the dash & trim, applying smear of silicone lube to plastic surfaces, etc.
None of that worked.
Eventually I figured it out, read ahead.

#2 Last month, another annoying "plastic-y" squeak noise started, seemed to be coming from passenger side instrument panel or glove box. I disassembled glove box, had wife press and wiggle different portions of the instrument panel while I drove, nothing had any enduring effect.

Solution:
Both squeaks were caused by the swivel joint on each of the sun visors! You'd think the noise would have been obvious to localize & locate, but it wasn't.
The sun visor swivels have a stiff, inner & outer, plastic bushing. Not visible from the outside.
I removed the visor, applied some silicon paste lube to the bushing, rotated bushing to work-in the lube, and reattached visor.
Perfectly quiet ever since, including the #1 squeak from summer 2018.
Not much lube is needed - I used a toothpick to apply the lube to the bushings. Silicon paste lube is recommended, because it doesnt smell and is non-staining.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nice! I hate getting those interior squeaks. My 18 1794 CM is solid inside except for an occasional noise coming off the driver door window. I run in it down then back up and it goes away. The other noise came from the blower motor. A squeak when it was on the lowest speed. I maxed out the speed and it went away. That is one I don't want to come back.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A thought on your intermittent window noise -- maybe it's weatherstrip or rubber seal related??

Last year I learned about a very nice, silicone-based, weatherstrip lube. Much different consistency than the sticky 3M lube I used on my sun visor joint.

That silicone weatherstrip lube is Honda # 08798-9013. Bought a tube from Amazon, about $18. Pricey but will last for few years. Only needs a VERY THIN smear on rubber parts, just enough to make the rubber shiny. I'm applying it to all the Tundra's weatherstrips & seals 1-2 times per year.

Link: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GD49GTS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title
Description: Used for lubricating door seals, window channels, sunroof seals and any convertible or targa top seals on your Honda or Non-Honda vehicle.

Maybe the Honda lube would also work ok on the sun visor joint, I dont know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been using the "old type" Armorall on all my weatherstrips for many years. I also apply enough to get a shiny surface. I do this about once a year. No weatherstrip squeaks and minimal wind noise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts