Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an 02 Tundra with aftermarket tuff country front suspension, I don't think there is a level kit. When my dad got me new tires, he got bigger ones without a lift kit and it rubbed the frame. I put spacers on there and it didn't rub the frame but did rub the wheel well a lot. We beat in the pinch weld in as much as possible but it's still really close and rubs a bit when the suspension is compressedand the wheels are turned. What is the least I can do to make sure it never touches again?

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
The answer is simple. You need to take those tires off. I was unable to read the tire size but you need a tire that is 1/2 inch narrower and /or 1/2 in smaller diameter. The Tire rack has a great information. If you click on a specific tire and then specifications. Below is just a generic sample I took to show what is available. All tires listed as a specific size do not measure out the same. The charts at Tire Rack give actual measurements. When you have close tolerances you usually need to do the math yourself. Just based on your photos it appears a 1/2 inch in each direction width and height may be just right but you may need more. There are times when changing the vehicle to make room for the tires is the way to go. Financially you will be way ahead by changing out the tires v/r adding a proper lift to give clearance.

Reactions: ppyzyna

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Okay. Then what is the best way under $500 to fix it? Would a body lift / leveling kit work? Is there some cutting and welding I can do? I can't spend another $1000 dollars on tires. If you need I can upload more pictures. The tires are LT285/75R16. I'm assuming a few inch suspension lift would be the ideal way to fix it?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I am pretty sure I ran 275-75-16 on my 2000 if not they were 275-70-16 with no rubbing. Sell the tires you have for $500 as it sounds like they are new. Sometimes the shop that sold you the wrong size tires will give you a deal on the proper size tire and place your over sized tires on consignment for you. This helps get them out of the bad publicity of selling you a tire that does not work on your vehicle. Legally the tire shop should not have allowed your truck to leave the shop rubbing like that and the manager /owner knows that. See if you can work a deal. Clean up the tires when you go back to the shop so they look new probably remove the spacers. The spacers just move the problem of too large of a tire out from center to rub in another area and you paid for spacers. It appears you are young and having the ability to learn from your mistakes shows intelligence. Not learning from your mistakes is insanity. Some times what you want the outcome to be and what your wallet can afford are not feasible. Don't destroy your truck for a poor tire choice.

Reactions: ppyzyna

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just realized/remembered the right wheel does not rub at all. For some reason it has more clearance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went by the 4x4 place and the guy recommended fender flares. It'll give me 1.5 inches clearance on the rubbing side. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got an 02 Tundra with aftermarket tuff country front suspension, I don't think there is a level kit. When my dad got me new tires, he got bigger ones without a lift kit and it rubbed the frame. I put spacers on there and it didn't rub the frame but did rub the wheel well a lot. We beat in the pinch weld in as much as possible but it's still really close and rubs a bit when the suspension is compressedand the wheels are turned. What is the least I can do to make sure it never touches again?

I had an 04, toy tech has a 2.5” lift spacers in front and helper springs for the rear. I put on myself cost about 250

1 - 8 of 8 Posts