Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
lately ive been having some trouble from my 2007 tundra. It has the 5.7L and TRD package. ive noticed that my brake pedal is alot softer then it used to be, also when braking while driving down a hill i can hit the brakes to slow up alittle but after i release them the truck wont build speed back up. i mean if i slow to 40 on a hill and release the pedal the truck will stay at 40 till i hit the gas again. im wondering if the 2 problems are connected in any way. i had the brakes done about 2 months ago. Bothe problems just started a week or so ago. any help would be great!!

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
the lack of coasting you see going downhill is normal.the ecu holds tranny in gear on downhills if you hit the brake.no relation to your brake pedal issu imo.
cycle the abs as mentioned by brian and/or do another bleed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i tried locking up the brakes a few times with no success. so far toyota has put a new master cylinder that didnt fix it, so now its getting a new brake booster. im supposed to get it back later this afternoon, unless that doesnt fix it either. they checked the lines and all 4 calipers. to see if any were messed up. so im up in the air on whats wrong with it at this point!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
i tried locking up the brakes a few times with no success. so far toyota has put a new master cylinder that didnt fix it, so now its getting a new brake booster. im supposed to get it back later this afternoon, unless that doesnt fix it either. they checked the lines and all 4 calipers. to see if any were messed up. so im up in the air on whats wrong with it at this point!
Did you have your brake work done at a Toyota dealer?...The same one that's wrenching all these parts? This must be costing you OTA!

Whenever I hear "soft pedal", my first thought is that air (compressible) has been trapped in the hydraulic system. If your first brake guy was careless and let the reservoir level go down too far, he may have gotten air in your ABS controller. Others have told you how to fix that; are you saying that you don't have enough pedal to make the ABS kick in? With ABS, your wheels do not "lock up", they will continue rolling; the whole reason for ABS is so the wheels DO NOT lock up and slide on the pavement. When the ABS cycles there will only be a rapid BRRRRP noise under the hood, and that is all that happens...that, and the truck stopping REALLY fast.

Buy yourself a quart of high quality brake fluid (DOT 3) and bleed the system thoroughly. Begin by filling the reservoir to the "MAX" line, and then do that ABS thing several times as advised. Then, refill the reservoir and bleed the heck out of the brake system. During this process, constantly check and refill the reservoir as needed. If you have never done your own brake work before, be advised that spilled brake fluid will eat your paint off, so be careful.

Manual bleeding is fine, but you'll need a helper: When you yell "Down", the helper applies the brakes and holds the pedal to the floor until you say. With your helper holding the brake pedal on the floor (the pedal actually continues to the floor when you open the bleed valve), you then open the caliper bleed valve with a closed end wrench. When fluid stops running into a container through the clear tubing you've pushed over the bleed valve, tighten the bleed valve lightly, and yell "Up" to your helper. Continue "ad nauseum" until there are no bubbles coming through the tubing, and the fluid color is perfectly clear, then move to the next wheel and do it all again. With ABS brakes, the wheel bleed sequence is different than for non-ABS (really old) vehicles...typically the ABS sequence is to start right rear, then left front, left rear, THEN right front.

If no one confirms this sequence as correct for Tundras, then you will need to do a little research to verify this.

Reactions: MetalMonkey

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no, i had the brakes done at a diffrent dealer. yes i realize that the abs system does not lock the wheels, where im from locking up the brakes means stomping real hard. i tried bleeding them manually with a friend and finally decided to take it to the a dealer and it still has a really soft pedal.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
no, i had the brakes done at a diffrent dealer. yes i realize that the abs system does not lock the wheels, where im from locking up the brakes means stomping real hard. i tried bleeding them manually with a friend and finally decided to take it to the a dealer and it still has a really soft pedal.
Did you ever hear the ABS cycle under the hood or feel the ABS vibrations through the brake pedal? If not, then you didn't stomp hard enough. Well, I suppose Toyota technicians should know how to burp the ABS, and they've bound to have done that with all the parts they're changing. :(

I might add that manual brake bleeding is a simple, but exacting team effort. If your helper doesn't hold that pedal down until after you've closed that bleeder valve, you've accomplished "jack"...air is simply drawn back into the caliper through the open bleeder.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i got the truck back today and no soft pedal!! the last thing they replaced was the brake booster, the service writer said it was a vacume leak inside it. not sure if that was really the problem but its fixed now.

thanks for all the help and ideas guys!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.