Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

341 - 360 of 830 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Thx sirlinus. The wheelers website says the LR/SPC UCAs provide 0-4 degrees of caster. Hopefully with it being adjustable, a guy could get the alignment he needed without pushing the tire into the truck.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Installed Bilstein 5160 Coilovers with 285/65R18 Nitto Terra Grappler G2 on 18" MB Torque +10 offset. Gave them alignment recommendations here. Came back with this:

Drivers Side: Caster 2.4 - Camber .10 - .20 Toe
Passenger Side: Caster 2.2 - Camber .30 - .20 Toe

How do these numbers look?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
What do you think?

It's still pulling left isn't it? 2 things in your alignment numbers makes me think so. The 1st being the caster. Typically when I set up an alignment I will put a little more caster on the right than the left to account for road crown, just like in yours. Your caster numbers, combined with the way the camber is set, is going to make it pull left even more. With the camber being + on the left and - on the right the front tires are leaning to the left which makes the vehicle want to go left. If your adjustments on the lower control arms are maxed out then you definitely need some upper control arms. Your toe was way out also. I would be pissed at whoever attempted to align this thing the last time.

·
Registered
483 Posts
It's still pulling left isn't it? 2 things in your alignment numbers makes me think so. The 1st being the caster. Typically when I set up an alignment I will put a little more caster on the right than the left to account for road crown, just like in yours. Your caster numbers, combined with the way the camber is set, is going to make it pull left even more. With the camber being + on the left and - on the right the front tires are leaning to the left which makes the vehicle want to go left. If your adjustments on the lower control arms are maxed out then you definitely need some upper control arms. Your toe was way out also. I would be pissed at whoever attempted to align this thing the last time.
Hey man, thanks for looking at this for me.

So, put a little more caster on the right and looking at post #1 , try to get the same camber on both sides at +.2 or +.3 deg; toe at +.12 deg for a total of +.24 deg. If not, then I guess I'll look at getting a UCA.

Thanks again!

:machinegunner:

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Hey man, thanks for looking at this for me.

So, put a little more caster on the right

No, I didn't explain that very clearly.

Caster will cause a pull when there is a difference between the left and right caster readings (split). When there is a caster split the vehicle will tend to lead to the side with the least amount of caster.

Camber will cause a pull when there is a difference between the left and right camber readings (split). Say for instance one side is positive camber and the other side is negative camber. This will cause the wheels to lean to one side or the other. This makes the vehicle want to pull to the side with the most positive camber setting.

With those 2 things in mind now look at our alignment readings. Your low caster on the left and your positive camber on the left coupled with the negative camber on the right will make your vehicle have a tendency to pull left. A .1 or .2 difference usually doesn't affect anything but when you start seeing differences of .3 plus on either caster or camber then it starts to become an issue. Now if you have that difference on both camber and caster then it really becomes an issue.

On the Tundras I like to get camber at 0 and then set the caster about .5 higher on the right side to account for road crown. 99% of the time this works.

I hope this make a little more sense

·
Registered
483 Posts
@l1tech | This totally makes more sense. I think I understand it much better now. Thank you!

Now, does anyone know of an alignment shop in SoCal that knows what its doing? I've been to three separate places and no one can seem to get it right. I'm going to Firestone one last time to see if they can do it (got the lifetime alignment).

·
Registered
522 Posts
I give a thumbs up to Stan's Alignment at 1520 Chester St, Aurora, CO. They had me in and out in about 70 minutes. I told them the camber issues I was having and they corrected it. It's been aligned at a Toyota dealer twice and has always been off. In fact the camber was so bad you could tell just by looking at the wheel. Now it's nice and vertical and only cost $60.00.

The only negative thing I will say is that it's not a nice neighborhood so be aware of your surroundings. But that's not their fault.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I installed Bilstein 5160 Coilovers with 285/65R18 Nitto Terra Grappler G2 on 18" MB Torque +10 offset. Gave the shop the alignment recommendations from the first post in this thread. They aligned it to the following specs.

I feel like the truck does not track well. Not terrible, but it's not as good as it was before the CO's and wheels. Do you guys think it is an alignment issue?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I installed Bilstein 5160 Coilovers with 285/65R18 Nitto Terra Grappler G2 on 18" MB Torque +10 offset. Gave the shop the alignment recommendations from the first post in this thread. They aligned it to the following specs.

I feel like the truck does not track well. Not terrible, but it's not as good as it was before the CO's and wheels. Do you guys think it is an alignment issue?
Anyone have a thought on this? The truck is at the dealer now, for some unrelated warranty work and i'm thinking about having them do another alignment, but don't want to waste the money if it's not the issue. Thanks.

341 - 360 of 830 Posts