Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What soap and wax do you use on your Tundra?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I use meguiers liquid wax. Leaves a great shine. I do wish it would last longer though

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
245 Posts
I seem to change depending on what I have or get in a mystery box. My new favorite wash is Lusso, great at cleaning and probably smells as good as anything I’ve ever used. The waxes keep evolving so I don’t necessarily have a favorite, just the latest and greatest since that‘s only once a year or so.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I quit using wax last summer. A local detailer guy ceramic coated my truck. Game changer. On the truck I just traded in, I used the Chemical Guys ceramic coating in the spring. You have to clay bar the paint before applying the ceramic coat, but it's totally worth it. With ceramic coating you basically wipe it on, let it sit for a minute, and wipe it off. It comes right off easily and you will love the results. Do the windows too. Looks amazing and lasts way longer than wax. Cost about $40 for the bottle of stuff but I could probably do my truck 25 times with the amount you get in the bottle.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I quit using wax last summer. A local detailer guy ceramic coated my truck. Game changer. On the truck I just traded in, I used the Chemical Guys ceramic coating in the spring. You have to clay bar the paint before applying the ceramic coat, but it's totally worth it. With ceramic coating you basically wipe it on, let it sit for a minute, and wipe it off. It comes right off easily and you will love the results. Do the windows too. Looks amazing and lasts way longer than wax. Cost about $40 for the bottle of stuff but I could probably do my truck 25 times with the amount you get in the bottle.
Absolute game changer. The detailer I used was very meticulous in his prep. I hardly recognized my 2010 truck (Pyrite Mica) when I went to pick it up. With oxidation and minor scratching gone, the paint looked about two shades darker, and a year later it still looks fantastic. This was a $2k job, but in the end totally worth it. He got the dullness out of the headlamps, the waterspots off of the chrome, and except for a couple of small dings on the hood and some deeper scratches around the rear left wheel, it looks brand new. The smoothness to the touch and sparkle in the paint are incredible.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you say so. I thought mine looked pretty good until this guy buffed it all over several times.
The problem I’ve had with buffing and polishing alot is that it removes clearcoat. All the cars Ive owned had the clearcoat fail within 10 years. This gunmetal color hides the dirt well, so I dont feel the need to wash it regularly.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The problem I’ve had with buffing and polishing alot is that it removes clearcoat. All the cars Ive owned had the clearcoat fail within 10 years. This gunmetal color hides the dirt well, so I dont feel the need to wash it regularly.
I hear you. Once that clearcoat starts breaking down, you’re screwed. That’s why I decided to go ahead with the ceramic while mine was intact.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’ll check that out. I dont really know anything about it. Thx,
Last year I paid to have it done. This spring I decided to try it myself. The most important thing with ceramic is you have to have your paint perfectly clean, and all wax or anything else stripped. So you wash the car with soap that doesn't add wax or any coating. Dry. Then comes the hardest part. You have to clay bar the whole truck. The clay bar removes everything embedded in the paint. This process took me about 4 hours on a crew cab truck. If you have any swirls or scratches, now is the time to polish those out. Once the paint is stripped and corrected, then comes the easy part. Apply the ceramic. It's very quick and easy. Wipe on, let sit a few mins (it will haze up), then buff off with clean microfiber. It comes right off and leaves the paint ultra glossy. Follow the directions of whatever product you use. Takes a little longer than an old fashioned wax but it lasts so much longer. Also important to keep your truck indoors, not exposed to the elements for at least a day to let the ceramic fully cure. If you do it right, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The prep is key. This guy works inside with special lights, several buffers, compounds, polishes, etc., not to mention experience. No way I could duplicate his efforts, nor do I have the space, time and tools to try.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did lots of research on this topic and here are the notes I took.

1. Wash your truck with soap and water. You can use pretty much any soap but dish washing soap is more harsh on your paint than the soap made specifically for cars/trucks.
2. Fix any damage to your clear-coat at this time. Metal polish and buffer will work as the abrasion factor is low.
3. Wash the truck again.
4. Use clay bar and lube.
5. Wash with a very mild auto soap.
6. Use iron out iron remover on the surface of your paint.
7. Isopropyle alcohol mist to remove any streaks, swirls or spots.
8. Apply your ceramic coating.

Obviously, you can modify these steps as necessary. For example: my area doesn't have iron in our water so I can skip step 6. Also, best practices are to use a power washer first and buff after each step with a clean microfiber towel. For that feel good confidence that you may need, go to this YouTube video and watch it first.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts