Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

So my auburn LSD is toast

7K views 54 replies 16 participants last post by  toytec 
#1 ·
I guess I got about two years of very spirited driving out of it. I have changed the fluid a few times and always use what it requires but I think the power just wore it out.

I will drain it and refill it to see if it helps but I'm not very hopeful. I will keep it in there till something better gets released, like a TruTrac. No sense buying another one as it will just wear out also. They do state that the hp limit is about 500hp.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.......

Just to answer the enviable questions.... I do not want a locker.

Jon

#9 ·
Spoolin (Chris) blew his Auburn LSD out pretty quick, he was the first one to post that, you are the second so it's not too bad, nothing is bullet proof. There is a price to pay for power.. supposidly this is in the works for the Tundra: "The Auburn ECTED Max locking differential is a SELECTABLE limited slip to a full locking differential".
Leading Manufacturer of Traction Enchancing Differentials & Planetary Drives - Auburn Gear

This is probably going to take a while or may never happen like the tuners, I'm still with my stock rear end, I really need to do something asap!
-

#14 ·
mine lsd is gone too. it lasted 8 months. sc, street race some(mannly just puting other cars to shame lol) and a good bit of off road. but it was a great 8 months!!! i would get another one if it would last longer. it made a massive difference! im looking at a locker now bc i have to do somthing

#15 ·
Do what? (Drag Race? :D)

#17 ·
Any thoughts on their DREX program?

Leading Manufacturer of Traction Enchancing Differentials & Planetary Drives - Auburn Gear

Auburn Gear, Inc is proud to announce the introduction of its' D-REX Program. D-REX stands for Differential Replacement EXchange Program. Auburn Gear's Limited Slip Differentials are designed and manufactured with an unique and robust cone clutch mechanism. (See the figure below.) However, due to the matching of the side gear/cone clutch assembly during machining and assembly, this makes the differential case and side gear/cone clutch mechanism a matched set and therefore non-rebuildable. All other components within the Auburn Gear differential are replaceable and service kits are available.

Best Guarantees in the Industry - we back up our performance advantages by offering the best warranty in the business: a one-year warranty, plus an additional four years of coverage. D-REX stands for Differential-Replacement EXchange. We will replace your unit, no matter the reason, within the first 4 years after purchase for the price of a competitor’s clutch pack. Every part you get will be brand new–the unit comes assembled, tested, certified, ready for installation. No more rebuilding and mixing old worn parts with new parts!

#25 ·
I completely understand that, but at least the unit should be closed to being covered from what I am gathering from their website

You guys that have ruined your Diffs are talking time not miles. How many miles do they last with "spirited driving" and the super charger?
I am on 45K on mine and installed back in 2010. I tend to roll out from a dead stop on my spirited driving and most of my miles are highway

#24 ·
You guys that have ruined your Diffs are talking time not miles. How many miles do they last with "spirited driving" and the super charger?

#30 ·
I would still do it. It's a great mod and as far as I know only 3 people have had a fail out of many that have it. All of us that have blown it have well over the hp recommend limit. And when it goes it just puts u back to the way u were stock it's not going to leave u stuck on the side of the road or out in the woods. Do it u will love it. But if it fails u will miss it?.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#31 ·
For the record mine is not totally defunct. Since I have gotten these new tires and changed the fluid it is about 80% I would say. To be honest, the hankooks grab so well I am very happy.

If anything, it's FAR stronger than the stock unit and won't suffer from the pin coming loose and destroying stuff.

#43 ·
Why waste time on a LSD? Get a detroit locker and deal with the clunk or an ARB and wheel or race quietly.... Seems simple to me. I put an ARB in my little 4.6 4x4 months after I realized the nannies killed the off road capabilities, not to mention I have on board air also.

Why the LSD interest when our trucks come with a "LSD" of sorts. Both don't work as well as a locker or spool anyway.

#44 ·
Because we are not talking for offroad but street trucks with superchargers and other mods. A locker would be fine for the track but an LSD is much preferred for me for daily driving.

The electronic LSD that comes with the Tundra sucks and can't be compared to the Auburn LSD. The electronic LSD uses brakes to simulate an LSD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.