Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have access to one of these brand new. I just finished getting some stuff installed and now thinking about pulling the trigger for better stuff. I have that weird 6 inch screen entune navi unit that I absolutely love! I have everything working flawlessly on it including back up cam. Of course the entune is dead because I can't get the account activated but everything else is great. I installed alpine spr 6x9's in the front and spr 6.5's in the rear. I have an alpine pdxf4 running them. For sub I have the stealthbox with the jl w7 which is a freak of physics! Pushing it is the jl XD600/1. The sound is pretty good. I like it. Problem is that I just heard much better today. Bad part is that it will cost a lot more money to get there! I am thinking about bumping up to the jl C5 650's 2 way. While I like the 3 ways....I can't fit the 4" in the dash. Now when installing the 2 ways...if I install the tweets in the sail panel, imaging will suck. If I place them up in the dash....you need excellent tuning power which is partly where the PS8 comes in! Also...considering the OEM HU...this is probably the very best piece of equipment that I can use to make it sound it's best with this equipment. Opinions?

· Registered
28 Posts
To get the most out of a DSP like the PS8, you'll need to run active. Meaning an amp channel for each driver. So, one channel to each tweeter and one to each mid, and so on. Otherwise you won't be able to fully utilize features like time-alignment.

· Registered
14,308 Posts
I finally got my components and now am at a toss between putting the tweeter in the factory dash area or doing a bi axial mount with the 6.75 and the tweeter both in the door...

to put them in the door part of the 6.75 will be covered in order to have enough room for the tweeter to be in the open part of the oem speaker cutout in the door...

I am not going as big as op, was considering sail panels as that is what an audio shop said which I think will not have good imaging like I had in the past when doing sail panels...

Putting them in the dash would be easier, but may sound bright. I dunno.

· Registered
457 Posts
Do you have any idea how to use & tune with the Arc PS8? Or are you just thinking adding it will magically make your system sound better?

Many folks have their tweeters in the sail panels (myself included) w/ active setups and I can guarantee you the "imaging" most definitely does not suck.

For what you're describing, and your lack of experience, a JBL MS-8 may actually be a more sensible option. The ARC PS8 is a very complex processor that caters towards the tuner/competitor crowd typically w/ a 3-way active front -- something you do not have the amplification for at the moment.

· Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have any idea how to use & tune with the Arc PS8? Or are you just thinking adding it will magically make your system sound better?

Many folks have their tweeters in the sail panels (myself included) w/ active setups and I can guarantee you the "imaging" most definitely does not suck.

For what you're describing, and your lack of experience, a JBL MS-8 may actually be a more sensible option. The ARC PS8 is a very complex processor that caters towards the tuner/competitor crowd typically w/ a 3-way active front -- something you do not have the amplification for at the moment.
HAHAHA!! Thanks so much for those kind words! Maybe I should not have used the word "suck"! Maybe I should have just said that there are better places to install the tweeters for higher quality imaging. I do not claim to be a master of anything either. The fact that you automatically assumed that I was an idiot using such little information about me though speaks volumes of you though. My brilliance does not come from knowing everything about everything....it comes from knowing who to ask advice from. I have actually read quite a few posts by you and while you have played with some neat toys....you are not the person to ask anything from. But your friends are people that I would like to talk to!

Now...as far as what I have to work with....I am aware of what I have which is why I thought I would ask the advice of the knowledgeable here. It was described to me as driving an RV to go grocery shopping down the road. While the MS8 is pretty cool....it does lack in some small but important areas and for what I have to work with, I would be better off with something else or even a clean sweep which I can't believe I am saying! As far as the PS8 is concerned....the reason why most do not know how to tune it is because ARC will not release a manual explaining how to tune in expert mode. That is where the truly gifted come in and I have access to someone that can do it. Regardless....I was just going to use it in OEM mode but that would make this thing a waste of money.

Slaughter....If you put the tweeters in the dash...you will have to tune to overcome not only acoustics but the distance between the speakers themselves as well. This is what I plan on doing as I want a clean looking stock system. The sail panels are stock and I know this but I am trying to avoid even letting someone have any idea that there is equipment inside the truck. As long as you have a half decent processor and you know how to tune it...You can make those suckers scream pure elegance

· Registered
457 Posts
Now...as far as what I have to work with....I am aware of what I have which is why I thought I would ask the advice of the knowledgeable here. It was described to me as driving an RV to go grocery shopping down the road. While the MS8 is pretty cool....it does lack in some small but important areas and for what I have to work with, I would be better off with something else or even a clean sweep which I can't believe I am saying! As far as the PS8 is concerned....the reason why most do not know how to tune it is because ARC will not release a manual explaining how to tune in expert mode. That is where the truly gifted come in and I have access to someone that can do it. Regardless....I was just going to use it in OEM mode but that would make this thing a waste of money.
You have currently have the following:

- 4 channel amp
- coaxial speakers for your front stage
- coaxial speakers for your rear stage.

I'm sorry, but swapping your front stage to a medicore set of 2-way components run passively paired with the latest-and-greatest DSP for $850+ isn't going to magically make your system sound that much better.

In your case, I stand by my recommendation of an MS-8 with your current equipment as it would allow you to:
- run your front tweeter and midrange active (independent x-over/EQ) using your existing PDX 4-channel
- power your rear speakers off the MS-8's internal amplifier
- run your sub "active" as well
- future option to run center stage (Tundra has stock center channel location already)
- cost about 1/2 the Arc PS8

The ARC does not have an internal amplifier, so given that, you must either:
- Ditch the rear speakers
- Power the rear speakers off the factory HU & sum the front signal into the PS8. But then, you still only have 4 channels of amplification, thus limiting yourself to a 2-way active front-stage (for which the PS8 is overkill, imho).

Alternatively, if the MS-8 is not for you, the Audison Bit.Ten will also do a 2-way active front stage + sub (and rear fill off the factory HU), have the same tuning capabilities as the PS8, but again, cost $300-400 less.

You come to this forum, ask for information, and I spent my time trying to help you save time (frustration) and money. If you're butthurt about something I said.... :rolleyes:

· Registered
1,250 Posts
Everything that ^RB said is accurate, although, I wouldn't let it discourage you from buying a PS8 because its a great piece of equipment even if you only run 2-way now. Because you never know, you might put it in a different car in the future with a whole different system build. As far as tuning skills you don't need them because you can always pay good shop to tune it for you, but expect to pay for the labor.
I myself was thinking of running a 3-way system but to do a proper job it's just going to cost me too much. So, I am going to focus on a really nice active 2-way setup and seal up front doors as best as I can and apply sound deaden-er ect. I'm considering using raw drivers from Scan Speak or SB Acoustics or maybe a set of Hertz HSK165 XL's. Not really sure yet. My truck is so loud with the 35" tires and single chamber flow masters I may do just low end passive two ways to go with my Sundown 10's and be done with it (I doubt it though I can never leave well enough alone:D)
But just to give you an idea of a PS8 being used to just about it's full potential here is the ARC Audio Saturn. The 4" ARC Black series/SB Acoustics mid in the "A" pillar is ported down to the fender well. And I would bet that 6.5's in the doors are in sealed enclosure behind the door panel too. You would never know from looking at the car from the outside but that Saturn is a serious SQ machine. That's the beauty of the PS8 you can make it simple or as complex as you want.

· Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are correct. Everything RB said in his second post was great. But let me make an emphasis on one key statement......SECOND POST!! For that response I would like to thank you RB. Here is the problem with my OP...late last night I receieved a phone call from my shop and they said they had 2 of these in stock and can get their hands on the external controller as well. The price that it was offered to me at would almost be justifiable to purchase it and let it sit for a long time until I was ready for it. I just got a little too excited! My problem with the truck is that I need to keep the entire set up clean, oem looking and out of sight. Problem is in order to achieve the component and sound quality I want....I would have to break all of those rules. I think right now the best I can do is just clean up what I have right now the best I possibly can and save this work for the next vehicle which I will be switching to for my dd.

· Registered
1,250 Posts
You are correct. Everything RB said in his second post was great. But let me make an emphasis on one key statement......SECOND POST!! For that response I would like to thank you RB. Here is the problem with my OP...late last night I receieved a phone call from my shop and they said they had 2 of these in stock and can get their hands on the external controller as well. The price that it was offered to me at would almost be justifiable to purchase it and let it sit for a long time until I was ready for it. I just got a little too excited! My problem with the truck is that I need to keep the entire set up clean, oem looking and out of sight. Problem is in order to achieve the component and sound quality I want....I would have to break all of those rules. I think right now the best I can do is just clean up what I have right now the best I possibly can and save this work for the next vehicle which I will be switching to for my dd.
Yeah I meant the second post friend, . . . . . you can do a stealth two or three way system in the Tundra easily. But it sounds like you got it covered good luck with your endeavors and keep us posted

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.