Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Crew Max with the TRD off road package. I really didn't want the off road package but that's all anyone had. Anyway, the ride is a bit rough for a daily driver / weekend hauler. Has anyone swapped out the stock Bilstein shocks for regular, non-off road shocks? Any difference in ride quality? I appreciate any advice or experience.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I have a 2016 Crew Max with the TRD off road package. I really didn't want the off road package but that's all anyone had. Anyway, the ride is a bit rough for a daily driver / weekend hauler. Has anyone swapped out the stock Bilstein shocks for regular, non-off road shocks? Any difference in ride quality? I appreciate any advice or experience.

Thank you!
Remove the swaybar.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Non TRD-Yellow shocks

My good buddy has an SR5 Tundra, non TRD, which has the black shocks.

I have a Limited TRD Package, Yellow Shock.

The non TRD supsension is really soft, and floaty.

I prefer the Yellow TRD shocks, a little stiffer, better handling.

·
Premium Member
4,824 Posts
Put a sand bag or two over the rear axle

Problem solved 10 bucks

·
Registered
188 Posts
Put a bag of cheese in the box to attract a Creosote. Might slow the truck down a bit though. :dunno:
Ya, that and the mice you attract which will enjoy nesting in the engine bay and dining on your eco friendly wiring!;)

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Remove the swaybar.
My good buddy has an SR5 Tundra, non TRD, which has the black shocks.

I have a Limited TRD Package, Yellow Shock.

The non TRD supsension is really soft, and floaty.

I prefer the Yellow TRD shocks, a little stiffer, better handling.
TRD springs aren't different so ride is the same. Shocks/struts are and they are better than stock. Removing sway bar is just a total bad idea. Only good for maximum off road articulation

Put a bag of cheese in the box to attract a Creosote. Might slow the truck down a bit though. :dunno:
This is actually the most useful suggestion.

Lighter, softer tires is the most efficient way to get you closer to a boulevard cruiser which these trucks are not. Get used to it or buy a Buick

·
Registered
30 Posts
The tires on my SR5 pretty much suck to be honest, softest sidewall tire i've ever had on a pickup. When I get some cash i'm going to upgrade wheels and tires. These things are so soft they flex at an inch and half of asphalt on the edge of my yard, when I plan on throwing a trailer at it in the fall, not what I want installed.

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
The tires on my SR5 pretty much suck to be honest, softest sidewall tire i've ever had on a pickup. When I get some cash i'm going to upgrade wheels and tires. These things are so soft they flex at an inch and half of asphalt on the edge of my yard, when I plan on throwing a trailer at it in the fall, not what I want installed.
It almost sounds like you need a swaybar as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the factory front one, the tires are seriously soft for a 5500lb truck. I am pretty sure the Sr5 steel wheel and tires are installed for the pure sake of being able to drive it. They tried selling me wheel and tire combos twice through the deal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts