Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I recently bought a 2010 platinum crew max. I love the truck but the big issue is the previous owner was a smoker. I have removed the seats and shampooed the carpet and the headliner. Wiped off all the interior pieces and ran an ionizer over night. I was hoping someone could shed some light or give me a tip that will remove the smell. It is deff better but I can still smell it, especially after the truck has been parked for a while with the windows up. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
If your location permits, leave all the windows open a crack all the time. Keep cleaning out the interior as you have, but as a routine maintenance thing. In time it will clear out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks. Is the ozone generator different from an ionizer? And I leave the windows open as often as I can but still it persists. I’m just going to keep cleaning it and hope it comes out of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
My wife bought her 2015 MKC used in 2015.
I noticed a hint of smoke smell when we test drove and she didn't.
I brought it up on that drive, then she did smell it, but figured we could get rid of it.
We cleaned (everything), shampooed, and sprayed Ozium all up in that car.
It helped a little.

https://www.amazon.com/Ozium-Air-Sanitizer-Original-3-5/dp/B000CSWCAG

Being her car is garage kept, she left the windows down at night and we left a fan running into the car.
After about 3 weeks the smell subsided.
But if the car sat in the heat for an extended period of time, a hint of cigarette smoke lingered inside for 3 years until she traded it in on her SRX.

We tried an Ionizer and it didn't do sh!t.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OXLVZHY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Change the cabin filter, if it has one, spray some Ozium on it.
The smoke is embedded in the carpet, seat foam rubber/leather, the headliner, the door panels, etc...

We found you can weaken the smell, but you'll never completely get rid of it...:(

·
Registered
668 Posts
My wife bought her 2015 MKC used in 2015.
I noticed a hint of smoke smell when we test drove and she didn't.
I brought it up on that drive, then she did smell it, but figured we could get rid of it.
We cleaned (everything), shampooed, and sprayed Ozium all up in that car.
It helped a little.

https://www.amazon.com/Ozium-Air-Sanitizer-Original-3-5/dp/B000CSWCAG

Being her car is garage kept, she left the windows down at night and we left a fan running into the car.
After about 3 weeks the smell subsided.
But if the car sat in the heat for an extended period of time, a hint of cigarette smoke lingered inside for 3 years until she traded it in on her SRX.

We tried an Ionizer and it didn't do sh!t.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OXLVZHY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Change the cabin filter, if it has one, spray some Ozium on it.
The smoke is embedded in the carpet, seat foam rubber/leather, the headliner, the door panels, etc...

We found you can weaken the smell, but you'll never completely get rid of it...:(
What this guy said. I used to smoke cigs in my two Tacoma's. The upside is, smoking in the trucks didn't hurt resale value. The smell will never come out though.

I have since quit the cigs. I didn't quit cigars though. Since the Tundra is vinyl everything (seat, floor), I can literally get all cigar smell out with a vacuum and wipe down of everything. Having power windows to roll down in the back help too. The SR and workman package is built for dirty workers who eat and smoke in the truck. Granted, I'm just an IT guy, but I'm a cigar smoking slob with a clean truck thanks to almost no cloth in the interior. Believe it or not, cigars are much more forgiving than cigs. Good cigars, mind you. None of this Phillies Blunt or Black 'n Mild nonsense. No chemicals. Just don't leave the cigar butts inside, ever, or run the AC on recirc.

Sorry for going on about * ME *. My point is, I don't think you can really ever get cig smoke out of an auto's cloth or carpet. Maybe those hangy tree thingies is in order, just to cover up the little amount of smoke smell you have. I use one from time to time in a pinch.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I’m not sure if it’s cigs or cigars. I found plastic wrappers in the Console which leads me to believe it was cigars but I’m not sure. I think the only way to fix it would be to replace the carpet and head liner. But that’s huge money. So I’ll try what u guys said and see if anyone near me rents an ozone generator an go from there. Thanks for lol the replies and advice.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Try mixing about 10 drops each of peppermint, grapefruit, and lemon essential oils in a small spray bottle with water. When you park your truck in the evening just spray anything that is fabric, carpet, seats, headliner......

The smell should gradually start to go away.

I also heard that putting a bowl of coffee grinds in the truck would absorb the odors over time, but I cannot vouch for that method as I have not tried it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’ve heard of the coffe grinds too and will try that since it’s easy enough. I have a bowl of baking soda out there right now and I sprinkled a carpet baking soda which you are supposed to sprinkle and let it sit for about 10-30 mine. I left it over night. Then vacuum. That had a scent to it and seems to have helped quite a bit. I’ll look Into the essential oils tho cuz my wife is interested in getting an oil diffuser anyways so maybe I’ll have start with this scents haha

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would always start with the a substance that is least likely to do any type of harm. Baking soda will not harm anything. Especially if you are monitoring it, keeping it vacuumed up consistently, and I'd steer clear of dumping a box in the interior if rain was forecast for the following week. The kicker is probably going to be in details like if the previous owner left the car, with the windows up and ash tray full all the time. If so, then some of those odors are going to be all over, including the vents, duct-work, everywhere! I'm not certain what some of the fragrances and other ingredients can do to fabric over time and a lot of that may do harm depend upon the level of concentration of said ingredients. My mom used to have a ash tray that she carried around in her cars, I can't remember if it was designed to hold baking soda or not, but she kept it half full of baking soda and emptied it often. Cigars do not have anywhere near the amount of chemicals added to them as cigarettes do, but some cigars can be really strong themselves.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Also chiming in about the industrial grade ozone generators. They work. Most tool rental shops will have one. Just run it long enough to kill the bad smells and don't huff too much of the ozone yourself (just open the doors after you're done).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey guys wanted to update y’all and thank you for the responses. I found someone who deals with smells. He used to deal with decomposed situations for police and things of that nature. He used a chemical called CL02. Put about 75 grams in the truck. Shut all windows and doors and blocked the sun out. Small fans on dash to get the air moving and clipped the seat belts so they would stay extended. Left for about 8-9 hours. Aired out for a bit then was done. Smelled like a pool for about 3-5 days which is normal. Then leaves with a quite neutral smell. Very happy with it afterwards and only cost 125 bucks for the service. No damage to any interior pieces. Also he sprayed the stuff on the carpet too. The price of this truck was too good to pass up. Paid wholesale price basically and walking intot eh Truck have about 5k of equity so I couldn’t say no. Thanks again for all your input

·
Registered
14 Posts
why buy the vehicle if you sensed it smells of cigarette in the first place? i would have just moved on..
i'm assuming the price was substantially lower than a non-smoked in truck?
Probably depends upon the market. Around here, not many people smoke anymore and I'm pretty sure the smell of smoke would be a deterrent to would-be buyers and yeah, likely affect the market price. But some parts of the country, smoking has anything but gone out of style...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts