Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have 2019 Tundra Platinum with 10k miles. a week ago, I had gone to Trader Joe's and back. after 2 hours, I started the engine to move it and it sent out a plume of smoke thru the exhaust for about 5 seconds, yes smoke not condensation I smelled it. It was due for an oil change so I took it in Friday and mentioned it and all I got was an attitude from Toyota service. There was no warning light or code. Any of you had a similar problem? Thanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have 2019 Tundra Platinum with 10k miles. a week ago, I had gone to Trader Joe's and back. after 2 hours, I started the engine to move it and it sent out a plume of smoke thru the exhaust for about 5 seconds, yes smoke not condensation I smelled it. It was due for an oil change so I took it in Friday and mentioned it and all I got was an attitude from Toyota service. There was no warning light or code. Any of you had a similar problem? I had Tacoma and once I started after it sat for a week, it ran rough for a minute and it ran fine after that. Thanks
Is it a flex fuel tundra? If so get yourself an OBDII module and check your ethanol % reading. It may be sky high even though it should only be around 10%.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have 2019 Tundra Platinum with 10k miles. a week ago, I had gone to Trader Joe's and back. after 2 hours, I started the engine to move it and it sent out a plume of smoke thru the exhaust for about 5 seconds, yes smoke not condensation I smelled it. It was due for an oil change so I took it in Friday and mentioned it and all I got was an attitude from Toyota service. There was no warning light or code. Any of you had a similar problem? Thanks
Attitude?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, I was telling him about it and he was suggestive that it must have been condensation. So I politely told him that it was smoke and I can tell the difference between smoke and condensation, I did tell him I have background in engineering. Apparently, that did not go well with him, he then asked me the color of the smoke. He said if it was white it would be radiator leaking and if it was black it would be valves and he doesn't think the radiator is leaking into the cylinder, which I already knew. And then he asked since I was an engineer, I should know what's going on. Apparently, I rubbed him the wrong way which I don't think I meant to or did. Then I told him the brakes squeak only in the morning backing out of my drive way. He got defensive and said there's nothing that can be done and I should just live with it. I got my oil changed and got out of there. When I went to get the truck, he didn't speak to me, his coworker helped me saying he was on the phone unable to speak to me.

·
Registered
752 Posts
There was a post awhile ago .
IF you ran it relatively hard a few miles before shut down . Upon re start his truck would smoke for 5 seconds or so.
Do not know the outcome .

·
Registered
200 Posts
Nofish... Did you read my reply? There have been others with symptoms like yours that were the result of the flex fuel ethanol % being off. The truck ramps up the fuel when running E 85 to compensate. If you're not running E 85 but it thinks you are then its basically flooding the engine. Read posts on hard cold starts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nofish... Did you read my reply? There have been others with symptoms like yours that were the result of the flex fuel ethanol % being off. The truck ramps up the fuel when running E 85 to compensate. If you're not running E 85 but it thinks you are then its basically flooding the engine. Read posts on hard cold starts.

Yes, I read it. sorry for no response. I always fuel at Costco so I was going to check the ethanol level. thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There was a post awhile ago .
IF you ran it relatively hard a few miles before shut down . Upon re start his truck would smoke for 5 seconds or so.
Do not know the outcome .
that maybe the cause. There isa big hill coming up to my house about a mile before and I drove up faster than usual. I normally don't drive it hard. Thank you and I'll search for that post.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2011 flex fuel and was having problems with white smoke and hard to start. Took to dealer and was told it was the sensor I. The fuel pump that tells the system how much ethanol is in the gas. They recalibratEd the ECM and said the fix was a new fuel pump, but that Toyota was not selling the fuel pumps at this time, until they get one with an upgraded sensor. This was on 2/8/2020.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well...that's an indicator that coolant is leaking into the combustion/cylinder chamber(s) which could possibly be indicate a cracked head or cylinder head gasket, but that wouldn't explain why it only did it for five seconds and then cleared. Not to ask stupid questions, but did you check the radiator/reserve tank to see if it was low. If combustion was leaking back into the radiator, you'd be overheating/boiling over etc. So not sure if any of this helps. Some folks have mentioned fuel issues/flex fuel ethanol percentage which sounds logical expecially if your Electronic Control Module is trying to compensate for it and over/under fueling.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A momentary puff of white smoke on startup is generally water condensate or oil. Coolant related smoke is rarely momentary as the underlying cause is either a gasket leak or a crack. It will also leave a sweet smell in the air.

With the increased use of low viscosity oils valve seals are often the cause and unless there is associated oil usage there is not any reason for alarm.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A momentary puff of white smoke on startup is generally water condensate or oil. Coolant related smoke is rarely momentary as the underlying cause is either a gasket leak or a crack. It will also leave a sweet smell in the air.

With the increased use of low viscosity oils valve seals are often the cause and unless there is associated oil usage there is not any reason for alarm.
Hi Tonywelle. What I've experienced if it's valve seals, the momentary smoke at start up is a usually blueish color, but I guess it could be a lighter color or white/grey. I just haven't seen that myself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Tonywelle. What I've experienced if it's valve seals, the momentary smoke at start up is a usually blueish color, but I guess it could be a lighter color or white/grey. I just haven't seen that myself.
it could have been slight blue tint to it. I ran the motor kind of hard two hours before shutting it down. I was racing up a big hill. Someone responded that may be related. The truck is new, I bought it brand new back in July 2019, I have 10,000 miles on it now. The motor runs really good and definitely no radiator leaks into the cyclinder, the dealer ruled that out right away. Also, I'm not concerned, just curious if anyone had the same experience and what could be the culprit. thanks for all the reply!

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2017 has done the exact thing three times in 3 years. When it happened, it was just for a few seconds at start up, had a bad chemical smell, and I was unable to tell whether it was whitish or blueish. It’s lack of consistency or frequency keeps me from being concerned. The last time it happened, I had stopped the truck in the driveway, turned it off, moved a few items out of the garage, started the truck back up, and put it in the garage before killing it again. The next morning it puffed a little smoke. I have no idea, if that had anything to do with it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts