Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Smittybilt M1 Bumpers and Winch w/ pics

EDIT: I've included some pics of the rear bumper, since I haven't been able to find many true shots of it. Also posted up the front bumper shots.

So after some research, price comparisons and reviews of reviews, I have decided on the M1 Front and Rear bumpers for my truck.

I went with the SB M1s because of several reasons.. I like the style the most, the Fabfours are nice but too many holes. Big gaping holes in the front bumper for 'winch access' (maybe ill regret it). The Iron Bull appears to stick out forwards too far(for my tastes). NFab looks great, and the one with LED bar capability looks pimp, but it's not the style for my truck and I'm pretty sure it lacks winch mounting(I could be wrong). The Expedition One are really nice, but by the time you get it powder coated and add lights, then ship it ends up being way too pricey compared to the value I perceive I received.

Actually, price and style for the M1 bumpers really trumped all the competition. I got the bumpers, and the top of the line X20 10,000lb Comp winch, shipped for less than the competitors charged for just the bumpers. NFab doesn't even offer a rear bumper, so they were eliminated early on. I also like that the rear M1 bumper offers light recesses Pre-installed for the license plate. In addition, they leave the capability for back up sensors to be used.

I ordered the bumpers and in 10 days they arrived with the winch, all crated up and secure. I dropped the two crates off today at a body shop I often use for business purposes. Tomorrow morning I'm dropping off the Tundra to have everything installed and wired up.

This is where I stand..ill post pics and more details after the bumpers are secured and winch installed. I expect that I will be extremely satisfied. But only time will tell!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
I have the M1 up front with a winch and I love it! Good choice!
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Automotive tire

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: EwreckedG

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the M1 up front with a winch and I love it! Good choice!
View attachment 60081

What kind of winch? And where is it in the pic?

Also, did you go with a dual battery setup? I am putting in an Optima yellow top to compensate since I couldn't find any effective ways to do a dual batt setup with the tundra.

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
I am running a warn xd9000 winch and I installed a 500 amp quick disconnect so it will only draw from to the batter right when I need it.
Technology Vehicle
Tire Automotive tire Automotive exterior Auto part Bumper
Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive exterior Glass

Reactions: EwreckedG

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, how much total was it?
Both bumpers, winch, 4 d-rings and delivered for $3100 - not sure how much I'm gonna get charged for the installation - just dropped it off half an hour ago.

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
That's not bad. I picked the winch up from a buddy and rebuilt it. And got the bumper for $1100 tax free and free shipping and installed it all myself on a Saturday.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well you got the better deal for sure! :)

I'm a bit frustrated with the shop where I dropped off my truck this morning. Dropped it @ 9:00 knowing it should take several hours to do the bumpers and winch. Swung by the shop @ 1:00 and they had the rear off, but nothing else.. and I'm being told due to time contraints I will likely be getting just a rear bumper today. Oh well.

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
The best part was that 650 of that 1100 was paid for by the guy who Damaged my resin bumper in the first place and then made back another 250 selling the old one on CL. Plus the winch and the cost of rebuilding it im only in it about 500 out of my own pocket :). But that's lame about the shop and part of the reason I chose to install my self. Once I got the stock bumper off (which took a few hours to do without breaking every clip) the m1 bumper actually installed relatively quickly. It's definitely not worth paying a shop to install if you have some simple tools like a torque wrench, socket set and some simple wire cutters and electrical tape for the fog splicing.

·
Registered
352 Posts
So for the folks with the M1 front bumper...Is that chrome bit removable? Or, easily paintable? That's the only problem I have with the design really...

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
I took mine off and painted then white and clear coated them. Took all of about 6 hours with proper paint cure time

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Added pics of the rear bumper to OP - the shop didnt have time to do the front bumper today, so I'll post up some pics of it once it's installed on Thursday.

And I haven't seen the front bumper outside of its' crate - if those inserts aren't black then I'm likely going to make them black.

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Front bumper and winch going on today..will post up some pics and thoughts after I get the truck back.

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Should look sick!

So the body shop that installed the bumper, I'm not happy with their quality. I see the pic of your bumper. And the nice fit and finish. Mine has uneven gaps, doesn't look level. It's pissing me off because my company sends them a lot of business and it looks like they rushed thru the job without any concern for the final appearance. I'm going to loosen the bolts and line everything up. These guys..geez

Aside from the horrible attention to detail, I'm happy with the overall appearance. I will post pics once its lined up. No reason to take pics of half ass work and misrepresent the product.

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
^^^ it's really easy to level out. Grab a buddy and loosen the 6 bolts that hold on the outer shell to the frame structure. I lifted both sides and the tightened down one nut on each side to pinch it level and then tighten it all up and you will be good to go

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah..I'm gonna do that. The driver side sits almost level in line with the fender well from the side view. But the passenger side is sloped down from the side view. I'm gonna loosen those 6 and the 8 that handle height and line it all up.

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Yeah. Just be careful in making the gaps too small because when you drive over uneven surfaces your frame will flex and the bumper could put dimples in your quarter panels. I have just under a half inch clear on both sides and it is enough space.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Word. I'm good with that but I got about 3/4" on one side and 1/2" on the other right now. Slackers.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts