Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading several forums trying to find a similar problem/complaint as mine, but haven't found an exact match yet. Hopefully this one might solve someone else's similar problem.

Some background on my truck... This is my second Tundra. My first was an '08 CrewMax Limited 4x4 which I put 147K miles on in less than 5 years with no problems other than the emissions pump replacement at 105K. My current truck is a '13 CrewMax Platinum 4x4.

On my first road trip to central FL with the new truck in May of this year, I noticed irregular wear on the left rear tire (Cheap Dunlops!). The outer edge of the tread was worn more on 1/2 of the tire than the rest but I had no vibration. At 1,200 miles, the dealer rotated, balanced and aligned the wheels, and that is when the seat and door vibration started (speeds above 60 MPH). Two weeks & 1,500 miles later and a full day in the shop, they said I "might" have a flat spot on one or more tires so they rebalanced and rotated them again.

I suffered hoping the tires would balance out, but they never did. I took it in to an out of state dealer for the 5K service and they rotated the tires again. By now the tire/wheel with edge wear was back on the front and made the stearing wheel vibrate. I returned it to the selling dealer and they replaced the left front tire. Another road trip and the vibration was still there.

The next visit a week or two later, I got the dealerhip's shop foreman to drive it with me sitting in the passenger seat. He was able feel the slight vibration and suggested it was a bad shock. They kept it all day and 1/2 another day so they could check each wheel and tire for balance, do another alignment and check each shock. They now "think" the problem is the left rear shock, so I should be getting it replaced after my upcoming 1,500 mile road trip to MS next week.

I sure hope that is it. Like I told the shop foreman, driving around town is not bad, but you roll out 600-700 Interstate miles in a day and that vibration will annoy the hell out of you. With almost 7,500 miles in less than three months, it's time this problem gets solved. I'll see what happens with the new shock and provide an update.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Loose, hope you have a smooth ride out here o catfish country! I'm in Columbus.

Hey, on your way, if you come I-459 around Birmingham and need to eat - EXIT - just do it - at last exit before it hits I-20 again, Eastern Valley Road. Eat at Full Moon Barbecue - just eat! Maybe best I've had!

Heheheeee, got a bit sidetracked from ye bumpy truck. F150s are having same kind of bumpy rides. You'd think after over 100 years, they could make a smooth riding truck. But no, them boys have to mess stuff up!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
billsrock, sometimes I feel it around 50-55, but mostly over 60 on asphalt highways.

GuyGene, I'm actually staying in Columbus and working with one of my guys who lives in Caledonia. Small world huh?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Working on fracking there? I'm in Florida for two day vacation now. Be home tomorrow. Our house is about two miles north of Toyota dealer. See if they can fix ye vibration.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2008 with 47,000 miles on it does that too... Newer tires, but they are balances correctly. Steering wheel shakes a good half inch to an inch in each direction. between 45-55mph... Anyone have an answer?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After this week's trip, I'm almost certain it is NOT a bad shock, but bad tires as the vibration is now more noticeable in the steering wheel, floor and passenger seat than the driver's seat and back seat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Maybe moving the tires around (if non-directional) would help.... But I think you said you did that... Off would that be shitty if I payed $300+ bucks a tire and they were bad...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts