Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Scout Olympia slide in camper for our 2017 tundra 5.7 limited w/6.5 bed.
Guestimating that our load (gear, camper, us) will be roughly 1900 lbs max.
Looking for a recommendation for a stock suspension upgrade to get 3” lift and carry the weight well for the Maine north woods.
Thanks

·
Registered
834 Posts
Lots of options for a lift, but a more budget oriented (without digging in the trash pile) lift is going to consist of new coil overs up front from the likes of bilstein, fox, OME, Fat Bobs, etc, accompanied by other a new leaf pack or blocks in the rear. The new coil spring assemblies allow you to avoid a bracket lift and the hassle of cutting crossmemebers and modifying brake lines and knuckles and sway bar brackets, etc etc. Depending on what type of unladen ride you are hoping for, the OME Dakar rear springs should provide about 3” of lift and shoulder the weight well, especially with the additional leaf that you can purchase for it. The additional leaf might, however, make for a rough ride when empty. another option but with less height would be Wheelers 3 leaf spring pack that retains the factory main and overload leaves. They are half the price but a little more work.

Lastly, you could get airbags. Thats my preferred route and what I run on my truck. 2k of payload is no sweat for the bags and allows lots of load adjustability. I have found them to be durable enough off-road as long as you don’t like to wander through a lot of brush and twigs and such. Pair them with some lift blocks or drop shackles or a new leaf pack that will provide your initial lift, and the bags will maintain that height. You will need some spacer blocks for the air bags if you lift the rear more than an inch.

·
Registered
55 Posts
About a month ago, i also purchased a slide in camper. This is what i learned. If you look at the tag inside your drivers door, you will see 7100 lbs is the max total weight recommended. Your truck weighs about 5500 lbs. This does not include 2 people, 36 gallons of gas, 25 gallons fresh water, camping supplies, etc. With the weight of your camper, you are well over safe limits. Unfortunately you need more than a suspension upgrade. You need a 3/4 ton truck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts