Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need skid plates on the truck I recently picked up (2015 Platinum CrewMax).

I have the tools and ability to build my own skidplates from 3/16" steel, but am considering the TRD Pro aluminum, just because it is easy and light-weight.

Any thoughts for or against the TRD Pro versus a custom skid setup?

UPDATE: Custom skids built...see below for pics.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I too have been thinking about the TRD pro skid plate for ease of oil changes although they are sure pricey.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I build my own, I intend to make an access to the oil filter as well, so that's not so much of a concern for me.

The truck I bought has no skid plates on it at all...

·
Registered
158 Posts
I went with the TRD Pro skid plate. I like it. For the cost/protection/availablility/fit, it is hard to beat. If you are looking for a project, this could be a fun one. But, if you just want protection well.... Trojan Man... I mean TRD Pro skid plate

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
For another option RCI Metalworks makes some nice aluminum skids. The engine skid has an oil change access cover and is cheaper than the Pro skid, unless you can find Pro skid used. It also comes in bare aluminum, looks sweet.
http://www.rcimetalworks.com/Tundra_c61.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
957 Posts
Good information and thanks

For another option RCI Metalworks makes some nice aluminum skids. The engine skid has an oil change access cover and is cheaper than the Pro skid, unless you can find Pro skid used. It also comes in bare aluminum, looks sweet.
Tundra

Reactions: jc153

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The RCI looks like a nice product, but not really much of a cost savings over the TRD Pro @ $340 + shipping for the 1/4" aluminum.

I do like that they also offer the matching transmission/transfer case skid.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
The RCI looks like a nice product, but not really much of a cost savings over the TRD Pro @ $340 + shipping for the 1/4" aluminum.

I do like that they also offer the matching transmission/transfer case skid.

Yeah, the aluminum isn’t cheap. When I was looking the cheapest I could find a Pro skid was about $400+ s&h. Haven’t looked in a while though. RCI has sales several times a year, I got my Trans/transfer case and gas tank skids at 15% off on one of their sales.
I went with the RCI steel for all my skids. But if you can fab them... I don’t have any fab skills whatsoever. Haha

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The more thought I put into it, the more I'm leaning towards just fab'ing my own. I think I can do it all with a 4'x8'x3/16" sheet for about $150 plus the hardware to bolt it all up.

I really want to make the transmission/transfer case skid as well as build one for the Transfer Flow tank. I do not intend to drag this thing thru anything too crazy, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Reactions: jc153

·
Registered
304 Posts
Look into BudBuilt skids. They are pricey, but beefy as hell. I have them on my '13 all the way back to my transfer case. Quality stuff - and they have a small drop plate to access the filter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've seen the Bud Built stuff...my buddy had them on his '08 double cab. What I'd build would be very similar.

I was just considering the aluminum for the weight savings...I am not setup to work with aluminum, so I'd be buying those, but for the price, I am leaning towards going steel and building them myself.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The stock skid plate sucks. I have a 2016 and have a couple broken tabs on it already. It makes a lot of noise now cuz the bolts ripped through the plate. I do use my truck tho but I don't think that hard.

·
Registered
164 Posts
TRD Pro (and Budbuilt) protects the lower control arm adjustment cam (and tabs that can get bent). RCI not so much.

Reactions: WadmalawJoe

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Skid Plate update

So, I have made some progress over the last year in this regard, and thought I'd get around to sharing.

I picked up a 4'x8' sheet of 3/16", and with the help of my uncle (a professional welder with over 25 years under his belt...who has been tutoring me on the metal fabrication arts for a few years now) we have built a 2-piece skid...with material to spare to someday skid the Transfer Flow tank as well.

As most reading this well know the stock skid is not only thin sheet metal (although mine was missing entirely when I purchased the truck), it really only covers the front diff. So I have set out to design and build something that provides protection all the way past the transfer case.

I built it in 2 pieces. The front skid now protects not only the front diff, but also the engine oil pan. The 2nd skid will cover the transmission pan and transfer case.

We spent a lot of time fitting up the front skid just right, and I could not be more pleased with the end result. I can climb under the truck and remove or install the skid within 5 minutes, by myself, in my driveway, as it rests on the tires. No slotted mounting holes either. I built an access panel for the oil filter cartridge, and notched an area to drain the oil. I have had it mounted up since September, but fortunately have not really put it to the test.

We built a crossmember for the back mount portion of the 2nd skid. I still have to do some finishing touches before I will be happy with the overall fit and finish before painting it. We gusseted it up nicely with plenty of clearance along the transmission pan.

Hopefully next spring/summer I'll get the Transfer Flow tank skid built. My original intent was to build sliders as well for whatever Tundra I got, but I am really torn with the AMP steps that are on this truck. I would not have bought them, but they were already on the truck, and being vertically challenged...frankly they have spoiled me. I will never wheel this truck like I did my Taco...it's just too big for that.

Attachments

Reactions: Powertechn2

·
Registered
60 Posts
Is the skid plate in this topic the same as the 2018 Tundra that I recently purchased ? I have changed oil myself in every vehicle I have owned and I am 82 .Never once went to garage or fast oil change place for that . I won'y have to change my oil until probably spring but is it really going to be much of a job using ramps in the driveway like I always have done previously ?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Is the skid plate in this topic the same as the 2018 Tundra that I recently purchased ? I have changed oil myself in every vehicle I have owned and I am 82 .Never once went to garage or fast oil change place for that . I won'y have to change my oil until probably spring but is it really going to be much of a job using ramps in the driveway like I always have done previously ?
I use ramps, no problems. I don’t see what the big deal is about the factory skid plate...take out a few bolts and it’s down and out. The filter was a little different since I never dealt with a cartridge type, but after I did it the first time, no sweat and is much less mess than a spin on canister type filter since you can drain the oil out of it prior to removing it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I use ramps, no problems. I don’t see what the big deal is about the factory skid plate...take out a few bolts and it’s down and out. The filter was a little different since I never dealt with a cartridge type, but after I did it the first time, no sweat and is much less mess than a spin on canister type filter since you can drain the oil out of it prior to removing it.
OK , I am familiar with cartridge inside a canister. My Dodge grand caravan had that although it was accessed under the hood . Watching a video , they used a special tool to drain the filter canister before removing it .Is that necessary ? Is it just to prevent oil from running down the sides of the canister if it wasn't drained from the bottom first ?

Another question .How necessary is the skid plate ? Could it just be left off after the first oil change ? I am never going anywhere that I would contact obstacles that high up off the ground . My truck is primarily a pleasure vehicle used in town and on highways as well as for pulling my camper trailer spring , summer and fall . Lots of much lower vehicles have no skid plate to contend with for changing oil . Do any do it yourself oil change people here just leave the skid plate off ?

·
Registered
528 Posts
The drain tool for the filter is included with each new OEM filter, just a throw away. Get a couple feet of 1/2”??ID hose and it will make a very clean filter change. You will need/want a filter adapter wrench/cap that will allow you to remove the filter cartridge.

This one works well:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XTAGHU0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_-oOjCbAXA7VX5

No real issues with leaving the skid plate off, but it does offer a little protection from road debris. It’s lightweight and not a big deal to remove/reinstall with the way it attaches to the frame.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Once you see the oil filter setup, you will not want to leave the skid plate off. I want some protection for the oil filter cap from road debris on my truck.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts