Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Broken side mirror swap out: 2012 Tundra Double Cab HELP Please!
OK, Tundra Owners,... I don't know if this is the right forum, but I couldn't find a body hardware, so - here goes,...

I got a 2012 Tundra double cab. (I LOVE her! Best vehicle I have ever owned!) But I backed my right side mirror into my garage wall while hauling wood for the fireplace. I broke the glass and cracked the housing! OUCH! Dealer price for new power/heated standard mirror: $225. Amazon / Ebay aftermarket price: $65 to $100.

Question 1: Has anyone used one of the aftermarket units before? Are they "OK" enough or do I have to go Toyota OEM at the gouge price?

Question 2: I'm inclined to try to install the "limited" edition full-function power extending, power folding, turn-signal, puddle-light, towing mirrors in place of my stock power & heat only mirrors. Is that possible or would I have to re-wire the whole harness from box to dash to door?

Thanks in advance for the advice, assistance, and help.

W. Hill

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
i have sport mirrors for sale as a set, id be willing to split them and sell you one if its worth it. its a set of OEM mirrors off my truck at about 10k miles. theyre in excellent condition, look in buy/sell section for my post on selling sport mirrors and a broken tow mirror to find a pic.

Reactions: 50224

·
Registered
90 Posts
You won't be able to install the power fold mirrors on your truck, those are for the limited or platinum only.

Yes - I've put (2) replacement mirrors on my truck.......both passenger side mirrors, because backing out of my garage takes just a little more skill than I seem to have.........HAHA!

I've gotten both mine off EBAY - for around $60 each. You could also check craiglist too - there's always someone selling them on there. If you look all around, you may be able to find someone selling that's willing to ship to you.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Actually you can install power folding on the SR5 package, you just have to buy a switch, and do some wiring. I "think" you can do it on the base truck too but it's alot more wiring. To me it's not worth 800 to 900 to do that install. I bought OEM tow mirrors off my dealer at cost for roughly 450.00 for both with tax. They are normally like 350 to 400 each at the dealer. I have my OEM sport mirrors I'd sell, but I don't want to split them up.

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
It took several hours for the dealership to replace my pass mirror which was broke by someone at a BBQ place. Since then I always use the auto close. The tech had to go through 8 pages of diagnostics before replacing.

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
^ wow.... it took me 15 to 20 min to replace both my stock sport mirrors with the tow mirrors.
They had to check everything since it was under warranty. They had to check the heated, blinker and run through the auto close which the sproket was broke. It was fixed for free instead of costing me so I didn't complain. They had donuts and coffee there so I was good.:cool:

·
Read Only
0 Posts
They had to check everything since it was under warranty. They had to check the heated, blinker and run through the auto close which the sproket was broke. It was fixed for free instead of costing me so I didn't complain. They had donuts and coffee there so I was good.:cool:
Just goes to show you what you are paying for if you don't have warranty though. I'm glad I have the 8yr/125K Platinum warranty on mine :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, so just to help me understand,...

you had standard mirrors with power & heat, and you swapped out for towing mirrors with power and heat options only and the connectors were the same - plug n play?

So the tow mirrors you acquired don't have the fold option or extend / retract option, OR do they have the fold & extend/retract but just not active on your model truck?

Sorry for the bother, but I'd love to have tow mirrors, and if I can get them with the power & heat options only and be plug n play, that would be great! Your info is a big help! Thanks so much!

My SR5 Crewmax was plug and play for the power, and heated tow mirrors... I didn't get the power fold.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
OK, so just to help me understand,...

you had standard mirrors with power & heat, and you swapped out for towing mirrors with power and heat options only and the connectors were the same - plug n play?

So the tow mirrors you acquired don't have the fold option or extend / retract option, OR do they have the fold & extend/retract but just not active on your model truck?

Sorry for the bother, but I'd love to have tow mirrors, and if I can get them with the power & heat options only and be plug n play, that would be great! Your info is a big help! Thanks so much!
Yes get the ones like mine and you'll be all set as long as you have the SR5 package. Easy way to tell for sure is to pull the mirror cap off the interior door panel... it just pops off. Then count the wires. Mine had like 8 wires. Base trucks have 3. My mirrors are power and heated, but they still manually fold, and manually extend out for towing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mirror for sale?

MtnWarrior,

Are your mirrors Black or Red (to match your beautiful truck)?
What would you want for just the right side mirror?
Just to be clear,... your's are heated & powered only, correct?

Thanks.

We7hills

i have sport mirrors for sale as a set, id be willing to split them and sell you one if its worth it. its a set of OEM mirrors off my truck at about 10k miles. theyre in excellent condition, look in buy/sell section for my post on selling sport mirrors and a broken tow mirror to find a pic.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
MtnWarrior,

Are your mirrors Black or Red (to match your beautiful truck)?
What would you want for just the right side mirror?
Just to be clear,... your's are heated & powered only, correct?

Thanks.

We7hills
They are black, and they are power and heated but not power folding. and like i said after slpitting theyre not as easy to sell so id love to get about 50$ out of the deal. im in california so not sure what shipping would be.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Not sure where you live, But I have a set in the garage I have given up on selling. If you live near Cincinnati you can have one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I recently broke a mirror as well and bought one on Amazon made by TYC and not only is it a perfect fit and works beautiful it was just under $75 vs $300+ from Toyota. It matches my other mirror perfectly and is heat and powered just like OEM. Here are some pics and a link... If you are in a jam like I was I definitely highly recommend this product. And as of 4 months no issues whatsoever. Plus it takes about 20min to install and you can find a install instruction video on Youtube.

TYC 5330142 Toyota Tundra Driver Side Power Heated Replacement Mirror:Amazon:Automotive

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
May I ask if you found your replacement mirror? I backed out of my garage yesterday and broke mine also! I just have the power/heated and manually fold black mirror on my 2012 tundra.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
If you guys need the power / heated non-power folds, I sell them new at $56 shipped in the lower 48 states. TYC brand.

$112 shipped per PAIR.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts