Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, Just wanted to vent a bit so please if this is not allowed delete with extreme prejudice. haha. I'm not looking to point fingers or name names. Just wanted to get people stories.

How has the shutdown effected you? What are you doing to supplement income?

ME:So being in the Coast Guard for a little over 16 years (CWO-Naval Engineer) now and this shutdown has me in knots. I have been out at sea since first of Nov and will not be home for a bit longer. I just can't go out and get another job to supplement my families income while at sea. This is one of those unfortunate times that CG personnel have to WORK without pay and being out at sea I can't do much but email/go online to assist with bills. (when we have connectivity). I'm just waiting for my time to retire and I'm going far away from any and all government jobs so I don't have to deal with this. lol.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Me and the wife are both federal, paid up on everything until first of next month or later. I normally charge little Day to day stuff so I’ll just go on like normal this month. I guess if it approaches the first of Feb and nothing has changed I’ll have to cash in a couple savings bonds and take a little tax hit, since that’s where most of my non stock money is.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hello all, Just wanted to vent a bit so please if this is not allowed delete with extreme prejudice. haha. I'm not looking to point fingers or name names. Just wanted to get people stories.

How has the shutdown effected you? What are you doing to supplement income?

ME:So being in the Coast Guard for a little over 16 years (CWO-Naval Engineer) now and this shutdown has me in knots. I have been out at sea since first of Nov and will not be home for a bit longer. I just can't go out and get another job to supplement my families income while at sea. This is one of those unfortunate times that CG personnel have to WORK without pay and being out at sea I can't do much but email/go online to assist with bills. (when we have connectivity). I'm just waiting for my time to retire and I'm going far away from any and all government jobs so I don't have to deal with this. lol.

I’m active duty and I’m getting paid. Why wouldn’t you get paid?

·
10,631 Posts
I read that the farmers who were going to get subsidies due to the trade embargo, won't be able to get paid because the Agriculture Department's farm service agency is closed.

·
10,631 Posts
First, thanks for your service. I appreciate your hardship, but being in the private sector, i’ve Lost jobs and been unemployed and retrained to become marketable, etc. if my company doesn’t do well, all of its employees are at risk of layoff. We live with that every day.
I think you are comparing apples and oranges.
He hasn't lost his job
He's not unemployed (I doubt he would qualify for unemployment benefits if he swam off the job)
He's not at risk of layoff and his "company" is doing a fine job.
It would be difficult to make a comparison between the private sector and what's happening. The closest comparison would be something like:
You work in a field office, doing your job properly. The CEO is arguing with the shareholders over what color to paint the executive bathroom. The CEO wants blue but the share holders want white, so CEO stops paying the staff at the field office until the share holders agree to paint the washroom blue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
First, thanks for your service. I appreciate your hardship, but being in the private sector, i’ve Lost jobs and been unemployed and retrained to become marketable, etc. if my company doesn’t do well, all of its employees are at risk of layoff. We live with that every day. While I am partial to military and LE (they should get paid on time, and for much more than they do) for your average bureaucrat, I have little sympathy. Let’s face it, does the government ever fire or lay off people? So they are getting a paid vacation—-I think a lot of guys working construction, oil fields, farming, etc., would love to switch places. So no, while I’m sorry for the guys keeping us safe, I am shedding no tears for the others. I’d like to see Trump pull a Reagan PATCO move and fire 40% of the federal workforce (exempting only military, Homeland Security). Vent off!
VERY WELL STATED! minimize the government (of course, except military; make bigger)... MAGA from south texas!

if i performed my job like most gub'ment employees, i'd be fired.

only there fo tha check and it shows... im on ma break... next window.

·
15,628 Posts
VERY WELL STATED! minimize the government (of course, except military; make bigger)... MAGA from south texas!

if i performed my job like most gub'ment employees, i'd be fired.

only there fo tha check and it shows... im on ma break... next window.
you related to Jerome?
Or possibly Gene?

·
Registered
322 Posts
DOD is funded. Coast a guard is not under DOD, it’s under Homeland Security which is it funded yet and therefore subject to the shutdown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea I don’t think that’s true. Anyways. This isn’t the first time in your career this has happened. You’ll be paid ultimately. Besides most banks like navy fed will pay you your normal check and they’ll just take your pay when you finally get it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yea I don’t think that’s true. Anyways. This isn’t the first time in your career this has happened. You’ll be paid ultimately. Besides most banks like navy fed will pay you your normal check and they’ll just take your pay when you finally get it.

Which part is not true? CG has been under DHS since 2015. And “The vast majority of Department of Homeland Security employees will also work without a regular paycheck. The nearly 90 percent of workers in the agency affected by a shutdown would include 53,000 Transportation Security Administration employees, as well as 42,000 Coast Guard employees.”

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm there with you. I work for DHS and into my second pay period working for free, we've got enough in savings to go a couple months but I don't like pulling it out and if this doesn't come to close by the end of this pay period I'll be checking into unemployment but I'm not sure how the CG is on that (form attached - I hope). Blame, I could go into that but it's not worth getting worked up about it.

Constitutionally the elected ones get paid, us on the other hand not since the Gov't was never meant to have full time permanent employees - I'll bet that makes you feel better! A couple things I'd like to see; no more continuing resolutions or omnibus spending bills, pass a budget like it was intended! The new fiscal year starts October 1 every year, what's so tough about that? I'd like to find an easy read on the omnibus spending bills camouflaged to look like a budget to see how much pork barrel spending is actually in there but they way things are written in DC I'm sure I'd be babbling before I got a tenth of the way though.

I better quit now, my typing is getting aggressive.

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
Which part is not true? CG has been under DHS since 2015. And “The vast majority of Department of Homeland Security employees will also work without a regular paycheck. The nearly 90 percent of workers in the agency affected by a shutdown would include 53,000 Transportation Security Administration employees, as well as 42,000 Coast Guard employees.”

True, the CG is part of DHS.

·
Registered
322 Posts

Ok? You’ll still be paid. Your bank should still forward the funds to you. This is the 3rd hub shutdown I’ve been in. The first one I was back paid after they came back. It happens.

·
Registered
189 Posts
First, thanks for your service. I appreciate your hardship, but being in the private sector, i’ve Lost jobs and been unemployed and retrained to become marketable, etc. if my company doesn’t do well, all of its employees are at risk of layoff. We live with that every day. While I am partial to military and LE (they should get paid on time, and for much more than they do) for your average bureaucrat, I have little sympathy. Let’s face it, does the government ever fire or lay off people? So they are getting a paid vacation—-I think a lot of guys working construction, oil fields, farming, etc., would love to switch places. So no, while I’m sorry for the guys keeping us safe, I am shedding no tears for the others. I’d like to see Trump pull a Reagan PATCO move and fire 40% of the federal workforce (exempting only military, Homeland Security). Vent off!
Well I'm 63 and almost ready to retire, but if I go now I get penalized via my pension by not getting my 20 years in.

Paid vacation, it parts I agree with you I'm working without a pay check and while I'll get back pay those who are furloughed for no choice of their own had no guarantee of it. Yeah there are probably redundant or lazy employees but every business has the same, I worked for a cell company as a field engineer before and I worked with a couple scumbags and I had the same in the AF and when I work for a state police agency and I'm thinking they're everywhere. I don't go looking for them I just go to work and do my job.

Reagan was lucky and he was able pull controllers from the Air Force and had that planned from the start.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I have no real pity for gov employees on the shut down . They are spoiled with all the perks , pto, paid healthcare and lord knows what else that the private sector doesn't get . They have to sink or swim .

Gov employees knew it was coming and should have prepared for it. Do you think a bricklayer spends all the big money earned in the summer , no they know winter is coming .

Long and short , gov people WILL GET PAID . something not gaurentee in the private sector .

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
I'm there with you. I work for DHS and into my second pay period working for free, we've got enough in savings to go a couple months but I don't like pulling it out and if this doesn't come to close by the end of this pay period I'll be checking into unemployment but I'm not sure how the CG is on that (form attached - I hope). Blame, I could go into that but it's not worth getting worked up about it.

Constitutionally the elected ones get paid, us on the other hand not since the Gov't was never meant to have full time permanent employees - I'll bet that makes you feel better! A couple things I'd like to see; no more continuing resolutions or omnibus spending bills, pass a budget like it was intended! The new fiscal year starts October 1 every year, what's so tough about that? I'd like to find an easy read on the omnibus spending bills camouflaged to look like a budget to see how much pork barrel spending is actually in there but they way things are written in DC I'm sure I'd be babbling before I got a tenth of the way though.

I better quit now, my typing is getting aggressive.
Also DHS here. Me and my wife are both 13s. She makes OT, I make LEAP. I feel bad for the 5s and 7s in support jobs who get lumped into the ‘high on the hog’ category by the general public. My wife has bitched a little bit on fb, as have a few other people I know. I own an Acura, Crewmax, and a Challenger RT and a sigle home in the suburbs. I can retire at 57. Many people in my circle know this stuff so I keep my mouth shut as I assume most of them don’t want to hear it. I Just tell them it sucks, but we don’t live check to check so we survive if they ask.

I was really irritated when I first saw we were in the category of departments on a CR until December. Very pissed Republicans didn’t see it as a priority the way the climate has been to fight to get us at least a year of breathing room before we had to worry about the Dem House screwing with us.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
I think you are comparing apples and oranges.
He hasn't lost his job
He's not unemployed (I doubt he would qualify for unemployment benefits if he swam off the job)
He's not at risk of layoff and his "company" is doing a fine job.
It would be difficult to make a comparison between the private sector and what's happening. The closest comparison would be something like:
You work in a field office, doing your job properly. The CEO is arguing with the shareholders over what color to paint the executive bathroom. The CEO wants blue but the share holders want white, so CEO stops paying the staff at the field office until the share holders agree to paint the washroom blue.
I am comparing apples (public sector) and oranges (private sector)! The point is that the"hardship" suffered by an average government employee (vacation time with guaranteed backpay) is lighter than a private sector employee who has no such safety net. The cherry on the top of this is that the at-risk private sector employee gets to fund the govt employee vacation (trust me, tax obligations still accrue during the shutdown). Again, I'd pay LE, Homeland Security and military much more than what they get now--no issue with me there. But all the gnashing of teeth because a park ranger in West Texas is going to be delayed in their pay is a bit much.

1 - 20 of 198 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.