1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18' CrewMax TRD Offroad
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi..there!
I am new to towing and hauling ....
This week I want to load soil ... I did last week once ... I was loaded in the bed 1340 lb of soil..while specs are stated that bed limit is 1200 lb ..and I turn the Tow Haul button ON... just in case ..
It's a 18 CrewMax Trdoff road..
So this week I planing to do same ... but is it necessary to use this features???
And do I need change tire pressure???
I haven't change my tire pressure while I was hauling last week ..and my truck did well..
Tires are
MICHELIN defender LTX m/s..
Ant thoughts ???

·
Registered
674 Posts
You don not have to use tow/haul mode but it will give you a different transmission program that will hold a shift longer allowing more RPS to build prior to shifting. You are running great tires and give us some information about them but not enough to inform you of any specific air pressure. Generically the answer is yes, add air (PSI) pounds per square inch.

You need to read the side wall of the tire and see what the maximum PSI is for a rated load. If you are running a (p) passenger car rated tire you will want to put the maximum amount of PSI in the tires. A (p) rated tire is what comes on most 1/2 ton trucks. If you are running (LT) light truck tires with an (E) rating the amount of air will vary. Again read the side wall. The amount of PSI will vary based on the tire size with LTs. Do not over inflate. Yes you were over loaded it happens some times. Drive slower and be careful, the load on the rear axle can make the steering on the front wheels feel light with a tendency not to want to turn. Be careful.

Reactions: Alex86

·
Registered
674 Posts
As far as specs says ..its a SL load index ..
2750 lb max load
44 max psi
So when loading heavy you need 44 psi in the tires.

·
Registered
674 Posts
You could put less in the front tires if you do not like the way it rides with 44 psi. 38-44 would be fine in the front. Inside the drivers door jam there should be a sticker recomending tire presure under normal conditions for best wear.

Reactions: Alex86

·
Registered
18' CrewMax TRD Offroad
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's ridiculous that Tundra has a less load capacity than Chrysler town county minivan...
My brother in law can load up 1400 lb of soil in the back of the minivan...
But this is the truck ...a work horse.. it should have heavy duty suspension compare to family cars ..
This is insane... my brother in law laughs..at Tundra..and he always hauling this heavy..and not doing anything to his tire pressure...
Unbelievable....
Thank you for advice !

·
Registered
674 Posts
As odd as it seems it is true. Full size vans are trucks with a long roof. Mini vans are a combination car/truck uni-body with a long roof. A Chrysler mini van can haul approximately 1400 lbs total. That includes passengers and everything you have added inside the van that was not there when it was on the show room floor including a water bottle. Same for the Tundra. So if your brother-in-law put 1400 pounds of soil in the van and then he got in to drive it, he was over loaded.

The difference is the Tundra is a truck with a frame and it was made to tow and work in rugged enviroments. Your Tundra has approximately a 10,000 pound tow rating and a 1000 pound tongue weight. That 1000 pound tongue weight counts ageist the bed load capacity and same for the mini van.

The mini van has a 3600 pound tow rating and a 360 pound tongue weight. That means 360 pounds is counted ageist the van load rating of 1400 pounds. So now if he is towing 3600 pounds he can only have 1040 pounds inside the van. Four people without gear in the van and you are over loaded. Most recommend not being within 10% of load capacity.

1/2 ton trucks are that compromise of a work vehicle and daily use. Some 1/2 ton trucks haul more than others. Some say a 3/4 ton truck is a compromise between 1/2 ton and one ton. It all depends on what your needs are. My Tundra has hauled and or towed everything I have ever needed. I have added a few thing that make it a more compliant tow vehicle, E rated tires, air bag over load springs. These things do not change the tow or load capacity but they do make it handle a full capacity load better. I have had 2000 lbs in the bed and four people in the cab. Yes it was only from Home Depot to my house but that is a 100 miles. Yep, over loaded and drove almost as if nothing was in the back. People tow 14,000 pound fifth wheels with Tundras. Is over loading smart, no but it happens. Trucks really excel in rugged off road environments even when loaded and other vehicles don't.

Ask you brother-in-law how much time the Chrysler mini van has spent in the shop. Even the car magazines reviewing the Chrysler mini vans can not keep them out of the shop. Your Toyota won't have those kind of issues.

·
Registered
14,173 Posts
The only thing I can say is the chrysler mini-vans is about the only damned thing that chrysler/daimler/cerberus/whoever it is now actually got even close to right!. But still it's not a truck. Can't tow like a truck. Inside cap is pretty decent, if loaded correctly. Their air ride is problematic. Load leveling on one of the models equipped with it could cause an issue. Especially when it thinks it's loaded, and it isn't, then it looks like a jacked up minivan from the late 80's.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ant thoughts ???\

I would use Tow/Haul Mode for a heavy load. But it won't hurt to NOT engage it either. I suggest you try it both ways when you haul your load, and let us know what YOU think! I use Tow/Haul without a load, when driving areas on Interstate 80, with long uphill and downhill grades.
Downshifts come in sooner and smoother, and I believe that also applies to holding speed better with cruise control engaged.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi..there!
I am new to towing and hauling ....
This week I want to load soil ... I did last week once ... I was loaded in the bed 1340 lb of soil..while specs are stated that bed limit is 1200 lb ..and I turn the Tow Haul button ON... just in case ..
It's a 18 CrewMax Trdoff road..
So this week I planing to do same ... but is it necessary to use this features???
And do I need change tire pressure???
I haven't change my tire pressure while I was hauling last week ..and my truck did well..
Tires are
MICHELIN defender LTX m/s..
Ant thoughts ???
The Michelin is in the top 5 rated tires. Mine last 60,000 mi. I’ve carried a full yard of loam carefully in my truck. The materials place couldn't believe it. I limit myself to a half yard once I realized what the yard weighs…

·
Registered
474 Posts
It's ridiculous that Tundra has a less load capacity than Chrysler town county minivan...
My brother in law can load up 1400 lb of soil in the back of the minivan...
But this is the truck ...a work horse.. it should have heavy duty suspension compare to family cars ..
This is insane... my brother in law laughs..at Tundra..and he always hauling this heavy..and not doing anything to his tire pressure...
Unbelievable....
Thank you for advice !
All crew cab trucks have low payload ratings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts