Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I currently have a 05 tacoma with a 106k miles on truck is in great shape and runs well. I also have it paid for. I'm really wanting to buy a tundra just not looking forward to having a payment again. I don't know if I would buy new or a low mileage used one. The zero percent financing is appealing tho. I figure my truck is worth around 15k trade in value. I'm just having a tuff time deciding what to do. I think I would be looking to get either a Sr5 double cab 4x4 or maybe TRD. What do u guys think I ought to do? Also will car seats fit in a double cab and is it a pain?

· Registered
52 Posts
Both my rear facing and forward facing car seats fit just fine in the Tundra Double Cab. But it was a little tight up front for the wife so I went with the Crewmax. The back seat in the crew max is enormous! And I dont need the longer bed. If you need the longer bed then go with the Double Cab. If you dont go with the crew max. You can always get a bed extender, you cant get a cab extender.

Take your car seat to the dealer and install it in the tundra just to be sure though. Thats what I did and it gives you a very good idea of how it will fit.

Car payments suck, but the Tundra is sweet!

· Banned
878 Posts
So I currently have a 05 tacoma with a 106k miles on truck is in great shape and runs well. I also have it paid for. I'm really wanting to buy a tundra just not looking forward to having a payment again. I don't know if I would buy new or a low mileage used one. The zero percent financing is appealing tho. I figure my truck is worth around 15k trade in value. I'm just having a tuff time deciding what to do. I think I would be looking to get either a Sr5 double cab 4x4 or maybe TRD. What do u guys think I ought to do? Also will car seats fit in a double cab and is it a pain?
Unless there was a pressing need for the Tundra's capabilities, I would advise against going in to debt to to get one, even at 0%. If, heaven forbid, something should happen, better to have an auto free and clear than to budget an auto payment.

As for buying one new versus one with low mileage, I would advise the latter; I purchased an 07 with 12'600 mi.

· Registered
578 Posts
I made the jump- was 2 payments away from being paid off on my '08 Tacoma. It was totaled in an accident (tire blew and to avoid oncoming traffic I pulled to the right, slid down a bunch of loose fill and hit a telephone pole).

I was debating what to do- another Tacoma, or step up. For a little bit more money- I got a lot more truck. Obviously you don't HAVE to get a new vehicle. I would've kept the Tacoma for years more, and the only reason I would have upgraded was because we just had our first child and are getting another dog. The extra room up front and in the bed is VERY NICE. That's for my needs though. If you don't need the extra room- keep the Tacoma, hope that there's a redesign in 2017.

That's what I'd probably would have ended up doing myself- but I know after seeing the 2014, I would've been questioning myself just as you are.

Save the money- bank it. Keep your eyes out for used/dealer trade ins.... Many trucks get traded back in with 20k miles or less on them. If you find the deal that's too good to pass up, then jump on it.

· Registered
578 Posts
You're in the best spot- you can walk away and say "if you change your mind and wanna make a better deal, you have my number."

At the same time- I'd put your truck up for sale locally - for a well worth it to you number. If you catch an extra 2 grand, maybe it becomes worth it for ya.

· F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,701 Posts
You can't SALE a Tacoma. You can SELL a Tacoma or you can put it up for SALE. And you definitely can't SAIL it as is.

· Registered
316 Posts
I had both...
Loved the taco diff locker and off road ability.
Hated the short bed smaller interior.
love the tundra box, ride, interior room.

Would I go up if I had the taco paid off? Nope.
Luckily, I walked out of one and into the other for about the same money.

· Registered
149 Posts
Car seats will fir in the double cab, no problem. I have an even bigger seat in there now.

My 8 month old son loves his new truck!

Reactions: dikkie and riccnick

· Registered
2,358 Posts
I traded up an 09 with 93k to a 12 with 6. Haven't looked back. Taco would get low 18s mpg and driving easy I am not that far off in the tundra. Yeah the payment sucks again but it is also 100 cheaper than my taco payment was when I was making it.
Fwiw I always like new. Toyotas hold value which is good while selling ... But sucks when buying. For short change you can get new and not have to worry about previous owners and feel good knowing you butts the only one making the dent in the seat.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: dikkie
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.